FJR Owners Forum banner

New R1

12K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  gr8eyes 
#1 ·
The new R1 will have Variable Inlets and is going back to 4 valve heads.
No wonder they didnt update it this year, it should be a stormer.

#2 ·
Got a source for this, Woody?

Glad I got all my R1 farkeling out of the way before Yammy completely redesigns the bike again and the aftermarket only caters to the new bike.

LeoVince SBK Titanium Racing Ovals, Carrozzeria gold-anodised wheels, ABM rotors, Spiegler SS lines, HyperPro damper, Wilbers F &R suspension, lot's of custom powder-coating, custom rear rotor, R&G sliders all around, I'm all set for ripping up the canyons and steppes of the High Desert here in eastern Washington:

#6 ·
gr8eyes said:
Does this mean it should have better low end torque?
Glenn
Yes, less revs more power, Yamaha have been hanging on far too long to the 5 Valve design while the other manufactures have moved on.

There you go Warchild

Check out the PDF link for the tech stuff as i'm not bothered about the bike just the techincal spec.

Your R1 is a clean machine and is obvious a lot of time has been spent.

#9 ·
woody said:
Yamaha have been hanging on far too long to the 5 Valve design while the other manufactures have moved on.
Since Rossi's M1 has had 4 valve design for a few years, I figured the new R1 would as well. The 5 valve head has a lot of compromises in race trim. I thought with the long stroke R1 motor that the 5v head had found its niche. Then Yam built the short stroke motor in 2004 and the mid range torque fell off the table compared to the other litre bikes.

I must say though, at the track, the peaky "750 on steroids" R1 motor is pretty easy to work with. I'm sure the new one will be better. Does it get the stubby little muffler? Will there still be an LE/SP version with top suspension?

#12 ·
20valves said:
Since Rossi's M1 has had 4 valve design for a few years, I figured the new R1 would as well. The 5 valve head has a lot of compromises in race trim. I thought with the long stroke R1 motor that the 5v head had found its niche. Then Yam built the short stroke motor in 2004 and the mid range torque fell off the table compared to the other litre bikes.
The M1's valve train has been top secret, if you have a website with the details of the motor spec I would like to read it as I have been looking for years.

As for an LE/SP model most of the Jap companies only do them at the end of the model run.

#14 ·
The technology sounds incredible.

But I still like my existing bodywork more...

switcheroo again? I think not.

FrankenLE:

I just got flush mount and integrated turn signals put on, too. Need new pictures!

:)

#15 ·
I always thought people who built those basically non rideable bikes and then called them "ART" were full of shit.
When you see Warchild's and Liquid's works of art that are both stunning and rideable I quess you can use the "ART" word and still refer to motorcycles. Both beautiful rides, well done.

#16 ·
pluric said:
I always thought people who built those basically non rideable bikes and then called them "ART" were full of shit.
+1. Thanks. (FrankenLE#299) has more track miles than street miles, too. However, I doubt the chopper guys would like it without a bunch of skulls and graveyard paint all over it. :mrgreen: (I can't understand 'that' look either. I mean heck, on these things, just head into turn 4 a little hot - and you can see God Himself! :D)

#17 ·
Liquidsilver said:
pluric said:
+1. Thanks. (FrankenLE#299) has more track miles than street miles, too. However, I doubt the chopper guys would like it without a bunch of skulls and graveyard paint all over it. :mrgreen: (I can't understand 'that' look either. I mean heck, on these things, just head into turn 4 a little hot - and you can see God Himself! :D)

Looks like they put a proper 4 valve head on this one. That coupled with the electronically controlled velocity stacks mean this revision might have enough low end to make it less frantic street scoot. Doesn't seem to be sacrificing on the top end any either with a claimed 189 hp.

It'd be nice if they had the trick LE suspension/wheel option this year. How trick would that be on that maroon model...gives me the goosebumps.

Stylewise, the bug eyes appear to be developing a case of Glaucoma and the right side of the swingarm could stand to diet, but overall still as good looking a sportbike as is made even without skulls and graveyard paint.

#21 ·
Suzuki popped up the first shots of their big 07 animals in Sept but everything has gone real quiet on the official Suzuki sites since. No where to be found is engine output specs for the 07 GSXR1000. I just wonder if the advances the 07 R1 is running has got the Suzi guys moving along their update schedule to include a feature as significant as the variable induction on the 07 R1. Some heavy competition between these camps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.