FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my buddies 2013; he tells me there’s a secondary cam lobe. Pretty certain I’m not gonna find it for a while.

Jesus the power in this thing…

·
Premium Member
3,346 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Just another new Series III owner who thinks Sport mode changes the horsepower generated by the engine, eh? News flash: It doesn't. It's the same power/RPM curve. It just changes how quickly you get that power.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Your friend is probably thinking of VTEC where car engines open the valves further, or open the OTHER valve at certain RPM'S, or both.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
558 Posts
You fancy, schmancy GEN III riders with your "sport mode..." 😂

And yes, The Power! LOL

Nice fkn nic, by the way!:ROFLMAO: Welcome to the Hoard!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

Just another new Series III owner who thinks Sport mode changes the horsepower generated by the engine, eh? News flash: It doesn't. It's the same power/RPM curve. It just changes how quickly you get that power.
A secondary cam lobe would indeed refer to VTEC in Honda parlance. In the original designs, it was just a secondary lobe that would operate both valves when activated via solenoid. I've not seen variable valve timing with an "on/off" valve - it makes my the mechanical engr in me do circles in my head around air flow funkiness. I suppose you could get something that works in a 5 valve, configuration.

Is there any variable valve timing/action on this engine? The impression I got from the prior owner was that there was a cam solenoid activating a high rpm lobe.

gotta love the forum grabbing a 10 year old photo from google for my profile.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fun - no secondary cam lobe, but apparently enough kick of torque at some point to convince the less mechanically minded that there is.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Yepper, there’s no valve timing change mechanism in the fjr, you get everything all the time ! The fjr makes nearly 100 ft/lbs of torque so it has serious grunt !

As far as the sport/touring modes go, there is no more power in one or the other, it’s simply a throttle response thing where the “touring” mode simply dampens your Inputs a bit vs the “sport” Mode which is a 1 for 1 response of your inputs. No more power !

I rode my “fastest color red“ 14 in touring mode for the first year, it (I) was just to herky-jerky in sport mode but now pretty much only use the sport mode except in traction limited conditions when that 100 ft/lbs can wreak havoc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Touring mode is "Please pass this car"

Sport mode is "What car"

Traction Control is "Go - whoa - Go - whoa"

I hate TC

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I haven't seen tour mode since the first 2 miles of my test ride.
7 years ago.

Reactions: ReRose

·
Registered
25 Posts

Isn’t the net result the same? After all, a Maserati and a Buick are both able to hit 65 mph just fine. Only one gets there much more quickly.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Isn’t the net result the same? After all, a Maserati and a Buick are both able to hit 65 mph just fine. Only one gets there much more quickly.
whoops, not the same ! It changes the arc and the curve of your smile, “tour” gives you a satisfied smirk while “sport” gives you a terror induced ear to ear, depending on the speed achieved, that grin typically gets bigger when more digits are added on the speedo,,,,,, kinda like the zeros on the fine if you get to meet the local constabulary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts