FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put an o6 FJR on a dyno yet? Just curious what the rear wheel horsepower is. Also what is the general consensus on the suspension of the new 06? Seems a shame that Yamaha own Ohlins and keep putting second rate suspension on their bikes. I have an XJR at present and had to put my hand in my pocket to have the suspension sorted. Would like to update to the FJR but don't feel like paying out for a suspension fix on what appears to be a great all round bike. Another question to Australian owners, after reading a few posts on throttle response it seems the 06 is a bit snatchy due to a lean state of tune to comply with Euro 111 compliance. Thanks in advance, Aunty
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
They put their standard (not meaning "second rate") suspension on the bike because not everyone would notice enough of a difference for the premium that Ohlins would add to the MSRP. Those who would have the option to do it as a personal mod.

If the FJR was priced like a Bimmer, fewer people who buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,589 Posts
While the stock stuff may not equal aftermarket in total performance, it is most definitely not "second rate." If you fiddle with the springs and damping, I think you'll find the suspension is quite good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I found the suspension just fine as it came. I am firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it (which is really hard for a tinkerer to do). I had the bike broken in on the dyno at the dealer. Here is the print out of the results

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
aunty jack said:
Also what is the general consensus on the suspension of the new 06? Seems a shame that Yamaha own Ohlins and keep putting second rate suspension on their bikes. I have an XJR at present and had to put my hand in my pocket to have the suspension sorted.
I think you will find that the vast majority of riders don't go aftermarket with suspension, which must mean that they are happy with the quality/price balance that Yamaha have achieved. For those who want to ride closer to the edge of the performance envelope? In my experience, most bikes need some aftermarket mods to satisfy them.

Also, to meet the current emission standards any high-power, (comparatively) light-weight, fuel injected vehicle has lean surge/abrupness challenges to meet. Mostly FJR owners seem to overcome them as well as any other.

Upgrade if you want a great experience, but don't if you want to list all the shortcomings that you perceive Yamaha has built in to not meet your individual needs. You'll just be unhappy if thats the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
I suspension is not too bad as the Fjr is a sports tourer.

I agree that it is not top quality stuff but adequate, but a better rear shock would do justice to the frame/chassis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
david1300 said:
aunty jack said:
Also what is the general consensus on the suspension of the new 06? Seems a shame that Yamaha own Ohlins and keep putting second rate suspension on their bikes. I have an XJR at present and had to put my hand in my pocket to have the suspension sorted.
I think you will find that the vast majority of riders don't go aftermarket with suspension, which must mean that they are happy with the quality/price balance that Yamaha have achieved. For those who want to ride closer to the edge of the performance envelope? In my experience, most bikes need some aftermarket mods to satisfy them.

Also, to meet the current emission standards any high-power, (comparatively) light-weight, fuel injected vehicle has lean surge/abrupness challenges to meet. Mostly FJR owners seem to overcome them as well as any other.

Upgrade if you want a great experience, but don't if you want to list all the shortcomings that you perceive Yamaha has built in to not meet your individual needs. You'll just be unhappy if thats the case.
According to the email response I recently received from Powercommander, an 06FJR compatible PCIIIusb should be available very soon, can't wait, since the knowledge that some minor tweaking in the fueling should do wonders (I hope) in smoothing out the surge/abruptness and even help keep the bike running cooler, not to mention the added performance :twisted:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I appreciate the answers to my questions, I believe that you have to ask current owners for honest answers, as bike salesmen don't have the knowledge and can stretch the truth. Donp , thanks for putting up the dyno results, I take it that its a bit over 120 hp. at the rear wheel, thanks again. Aunty
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,978 Posts
JamesK said:
Powercommander, an 06FJR compatible PCIIIusb should be available very soon, can't wait, since the knowledge that some minor tweaking in the fueling should do wonders (I hope) in smoothing out the surge/abruptness and even help keep the bike running cooler, not to mention the added performance :twisted:
Reports on the '06 are that there is no heat to mitigate. PC3 would then address fuel mapping concerns only.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
An 06FJR compatible PCIIIusb should be available very soon, can't wait, since the knowledge that some minor tweaking in the fueling should do wonders (I hope) in smoothing out the surge/abruptness and even help keep the bike running cooler, not to mention the added performance :twisted:
Its possible to tune out the low rev on/off throttle without a PC3 but it will take a lot of time and patience, but the PC3 is easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
bounce said:
JamesK said:
Powercommander, an 06FJR compatible PCIIIusb should be available very soon, can't wait, since the knowledge that some minor tweaking in the fueling should do wonders (I hope) in smoothing out the surge/abruptness and even help keep the bike running cooler, not to mention the added performance :twisted:
Reports on the '06 are that there is no heat to mitigate. PC3 would then address fuel mapping concerns only.
I spent 10 days touring on an 05 FJR through New Zealand and comparing to that my 06 FJR is cooler, but in similar temps by not that much IMHO. It's just something I accept as a trade off for the positive things the FJR offers and am not complaining about the heat per se. I am simply pointing out that based on previous readings, etc. it should be possible to decrease the heat put out by even the 06 FJR by making it run richer, as well as addressing the low-end surging…
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,826 Posts
alan sh said:
How? Assume I have endless patience....
Set up your Fjr's motor so it's as close as possible to perfect, then adjust/check every wire/sensor one at a time noting any/all differences it made. Also setup the CO so each pot is running the same % from this point fine adjustments from your notes made will produce a smooth throttle responce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
david1300 said:
I think you will find that the vast majority of riders don't go aftermarket with suspension, which must mean that they are happy with the quality/price balance that Yamaha have achieved.
I think you're conclusion is flawed. I would argue that most people have never ridden a bike with a high quality suspension and simply don't know what they're missing. The extra few hundred bucks it would have cost Yami to put an Ohlins on the rear of our $14k+ bikes is really peanuts.

To answer the original post, I rode an older rented FJR through Washington and Oregon last year ~2k miles. When I first got it I thought it was a dog from a handling perspective, then I found the toolkit and began firming things up at the front (rear only required a shift from soft to hard). For me, it completely transformed the feel of the bike into a rather compliant handler if a bit lacking in the ground clearance dept.

I just purchased an '06 FJR that someone defaulted on. The front end feels pretty good right out of the crate on this one, but the rear is way stiff and I barely notice a difference between the hard/soft setting. I'm no lightweight, so I can just imagine how high the skinny fellas are getting launched outta their seats when they hit a mid-sized bump with this new stiffly sprung beast. Here's hoping it loosens up a bit with some miles...

Aside from the stiffer suspension, the rest of the bike feels familiar except that the horrible helmet buffeting seems to have been fixed with the new windshield design, still awfully noisey, but at least the windflow is now clean as a whistle. I always wore textile pants when I rode the older bike last year and I never noticed any heat from the bike. I've been commuting to and from work on the new one and do notice a good degree of heat below my knees when dawdling about in my Dockers on this new one. Nothing major and I look forward to this effect as the temps start to decline. Now if my dealer can just find a p/n for the heated grip kit before this happens...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
saddlebag said:
david1300 said:
I think you will find that the vast majority of riders don't go aftermarket with suspension, which must mean that they are happy with the quality/price balance that Yamaha have achieved.
I think you're conclusion is flawed. ....
Well, I think your conclusion is flawed. So that makes it saddlebag 1, david1300 1. But I also don't like your opinion, so I'm ahead on points :crylarf:

saddlebag said:
.... do notice a good degree of heat below my knees when dawdling about in my Dockers on this new one.
OK, I give in. You win. I've never convinced anyone that rides around in Dockers of anything that makes good sense. :crylarf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
JamesK said:
According to the email response I recently received from Powercommander, an 06FJR compatible PCIIIusb should be available very soon, can't wait, since the knowledge that some minor tweaking in the fueling should do wonders (I hope) in smoothing out the surge/abruptness and even help keep the bike running cooler, not to mention the added performance :twisted:
Just received the PCIIIUSB for my '06FJR/A, now I need to find a decent map.
Can anyone help point me to a good map for an '06FJR?
At present I only have the K&N air filter (KN148) installed. When LeoVince finally get off their ass and release the SBK cans I will add them. The base/stock map that comes with the PCIIIUSB is set for the OEM air filter and I don't know enough about this stuff to adjust it for the high-flow K&N air filter.
Any help would be greatly apreciated :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My riding buddy's 03 came up 128.5 H.P. on the dyno, don,t remember the torque. it has a power commander, and custom headers. M.B.D.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top