FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 FJR 1300A with a little over 60K miles on it. Looks to be in good shape and recently serviced with new tires and battery. I own four other motorcycles, all cruisers - and wanted to try out a Sport / Touring style. So far I have enjoyed riding this one - although still getting used to new foot position and the height (I can get both feet down flat, but really hard to walk the FJR around like I do the cruisers).

I do have an initial question for the group. Generally I put engine guards on any bike I buy. For the FJR, is it a general consensus that the T-Rex "2006 - 2012 Yamaha FJR1300 / A / AE / ES Engine Luggage Guard Crash Cages" would be a good choice to cover both the engine and the bags in case of I drop it? Currently showing up on their website at $350.

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Those and R-Gaza are I think the only two choices..... either works.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,871 Posts
FJR_Bob,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.
Yes, I would recommend engine guards (to include pannier guards also) because a zero-speed drop in the parking lot could cost more to repair than both sets of the bars. I added frame sliders to my 2008 engine guards, and I recommend them as well. Most will agree, the FJR is top-heavy, so do not park where you need to back out. Park only where you can leave by going forward. It will also help if you keep half a tank of gas or less in the bike for a while, until you get a handle on the beast. At 40+ mpg, half a tank is still a long way between gas stops. Keep the FJR very vertical when paddling around with the feet; once it goes over a little too far, no rider can stop the drop. At any street speed, the FJR handles very well. Tire pressures are very important for good handling. Start with 38F/42R and tinker (a few PSI at a time) from there. Feel free to ask questions here; most owners are happy to help.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
893 Posts
Welcome to the Horde, Bob! Be among friends!

I did put the R-Gazas on Orion, and am very happy with them! The T-Rexes are also very nice! You can't go wrong with either!

Also, if you don't mind, take a look at the Cam Chain Tensioner... Let's hope it has a green dot on the housing! I am not too sure if your bike was affected by the weak CCT, on the earlier versions of the Gen 2 bikes. Orion was, so I had to change it!

And finally, gotta put up a pic of your new bike! Heck, let's see ALL of your bikes!!

Reactions: FJR_Bob

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FJR_Bob,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.
Yes, I would recommend engine guards (to include pannier guards also) because a zero-speed drop in the parking lot could cost more to repair than both sets of the bars. I added frame sliders to my 2008 engine guards, and I recommend them as well. Most will agree, the FJR is top-heavy, so do not park where you need to back out. Park only where you can leave by going forward. It will also help if you keep half a tank of gas or less in the bike for a while, until you get a handle on the beast. At 40+ mpg, half a tank is still a long way between gas stops. Keep the FJR very vertical when paddling around with the feet; once it goes over a little too far, no rider can stop the drop. At any street speed, the FJR handles very well. Tire pressures are very important for good handling. Start with 38F/42R and tinker (a few PSI at a time) from there. Feel free to ask questions here; most owners are happy to help.
Thank you for all the information and advice. Agree on the handling well at speed. Before I bought it I made sure I could get both feet down at a stop, but did not try walking it around. Since I can barely flat foot it, that has been challenging. Had already decided I better park where I can pull out forward 🙂. I am looking at the T-REX engine guards (along with the luggage guards) and they do seem to come with slider pucks that attach to the engine guards. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha FJR 1300
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Horde, Bob! Be among friends!

I did put the R-Gazas on Orion, and am very happy with them! The T-Rexes are also very nice! You can't go wrong with either!

Also, if you don't mind, take a look at the Cam Chain Tensioner... Let's hope it has a green dot on the housing! I am not too sure if your bike was affected by the weak CCT, on the earlier versions of the Gen 2 bikes. Orion was, so I had to change it!

And finally, gotta put up a pic of your new bike! Heck, let's see ALL of your bikes!!
Thanks for your reply. I looked at both the R-Gazas and the T-REX. The T-Rex seems to be about $100 cheaper right now for a full set of engine and luggage guards, and comes with slider pucks to attach to the engine guard. So for now I am leaning toward the T-Rex. Glad to hear both brands are good. Regarding the tensioner, I have been trying to locate service records or at least who was doing the service (don't think the previous owner did his own service and unfortunately he passed away recently). Failing that, I will put the Cam Chain Tensioner inspection on my list of things to do this winter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,871 Posts
I will put the Cam Chain Tensioner inspection on my list of things to do this winter. Thanks again.
FJR_Bob,

You can see (check) the CCT using a strong light and maybe an inspection mirror, no dis-assembly needed. If it has a blue or green dot, it's okay. No dot? I would not want to run or drive the bike. A CCT failure can destroy the engine. The old CCT (no dot) was not strong enough.

The 2008 may or may not have the new CCT.

Automotive lighting Gas Rectangle Magenta Electric blue

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design

Reactions: JohnC and FJR_Bob
1 - 10 of 10 Posts