FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I just got an FJR, first gen, from a friend of mine. Beautiful, comfortable, reliable, powerful bike. I feel lucky to have her as my first bike. And we've bonded already. Lol

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got an FJR, first gen, from a friend of mine. Beautiful, comfortable, reliable, powerful bike. I feel lucky to have her as my first bike. And we've "bonded' already. Lol
Welcome to the forum, What year? ABS? Upgrades? Pic's?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got an FJR, first gen, from a friend of mine. Beautiful, comfortable, reliable, powerful bike. I feel lucky to have her as my first bike. And we've bonded already. Lol
Larry,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.

Depending on your local climate, you may experience heat issues with the Gen 1. I'm talking about rider's comfort, not engine problems, here. There are ways to improve that issue, if needed. Keep in touch . . .
:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
Welcome Larry..... check that Cam Chain Tensioner, has it been changed out yet (look for paint dot on it).

Reactions: philharmonic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone. I just got an FJR, first gen, from a friend of mine. Beautiful, comfortable, reliable, powerful bike. I feel lucky to have her as my first bike. And we've "bonded' already. Lol
Welcome to the forum, What year? ABS? Upgrades? Pic's?
Thanks. It's a 2005. No ABS or upgrades (I'd love suggestions)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Larry,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends.

Depending on your local climate, you may experience heat issues with the Gen 1. I'm talking about rider's comfort, not engine problems, here. There are ways to improve that issue, if needed. Keep in touch . . .
Thanks. It does get quite hot, especially when I'm caught up in traffic. I'd love to improve on that. Let me know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome Larry..... check that Cam Chain Tensioner, has it been changed out yet (look for paint dot on it).
It hasn't been changed, no. Seeing as I'm new with the bike and riding, honestly, I could really do with some info. Like what the Cam Chain is and what problems it could have or how to identify the problems.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Thanks. It does get quite hot, especially when I'm caught up in traffic. I'd love to improve on that. Let me know.
Larry,

The Cam Chain Tensioner holds the cam chain in close contact with the timing gears which drive it. If the cam chain slips position by even a few teeth, the valves will open at the wrong times and they can be destroyed by the pistons. In other words, almost total engine destruction will happen before you can turn off the ignition. The old CCT (with no color dot) is weak and it is prone to fail. A new CCT is strong and reliable. Replacement with a new CCT is not too expensive or difficult, compared to the benefits. You can find the CCT replacement process written up here, and on other FJR forums.

I do not have the Gen 1 heat problem, but track down these "fixes." They are not the final answers, but any help is better than no help. There is also a do-it-yourself "heat blanket" fix, to shield you from the under-tank heat (which is also good for the gas tank). Feel free to Search for more information on this FJR Gen 1 heat issue.
Left side:
http://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messages/6/10176.html?1063970531
Right side:
http://www.fjrowners.ws/forum/messages/6/10235.html?

Reactions: RaYzerman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts