FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
FJR 1300 Gen 1 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all,

I'm new in here and i'm really happy because i'm getting soon (3 or 4 weeks) a Gen 1 ABS FJR 1300 in a really mint condition.

I'll try to resume a not so long story.

Got my motorcycle license only with 32 years (9 years ago), 5 months after buying a XTZ750 (Super Ténéré), and after spendig 10 months and 18.000 km on a CB125F...

The ST was a hell of a bike, but my inexperience and other influences (by the mates who i'd ride) made me jump to a YZF1000F (Thunderace). The only mod done to the ST was a 12v power outlet.

Amazing bike the Thunderace, it had brakes(!) and steering was incredible precise (when comparing with the ST). Did made some minor and inexpensive changes: power outlet from the ST, chinese double bubble and a phone holder. After 4 or 5 years i sold it... This was the starting point of a huge mistake, the Thunderace was fast, even with original ergo i found it reasonably confortable, and the 4 cylinder specs were hawsome,

So i got a DL650 (V-Strom), ready for trail riding, on and off road (yes, i did make a lot of offroad small journeys on that). The first thing i identified was the lack of power... well it has the power ready and you can use it in 12 or 13 seconds, all the other time you have left it is just boring... I did a lot of chages to this one, with full rebuild of front fork (inner tubes, springs....), 12v power outlet, big screen for touring, 3 cases, full crash bars and protection for motor and radiator. And when i thought there is nothing else to do, i sold it.

And i got a brand new 2019 CRF1000L2 (Africa Twin Adventure Sport)... 3 years after, with 20.000 something kms i sold it. Honestly i have never ride a bike with so many stupid electronic helps...and so few bhp's (feeling of). What is the point of having a bike that will last 200.000 kms if you have no joy on it? And again, the mods list is even bigger: tourig windshield, front deflectors, 3 cases, gps, tunnel deflector, side bags on crash bars... and a lot of other nonsense.

Other thing was the confort for two up, on the V-Strom it was okeish, but on the AT you just don't have it, even for an 1 or 2h ride.

And i just sold it and decide i would never go and buy another trail bike again. I'm done with electronic aids, with low bhp, and other things that just make me walk away from those. Realy nice looking and they are Swiss Army knives, but do you really need that?

So, i was seeing some GT bikes, with 4 cyls, and i just tryed a FJR from a friend (that he is selling it!). Before i stepped in i was ready to say that the bike was small to me (1,89m) and other problems related to ergo...but no, the moment i stepped in it just feels confortable and with nothing to do. The only extra already in place is a gel seat that is a bit taller than stock.

And then, i went for a ride, and i just can't express the feeling, i just remeber about my Thunderace. Actually, the power curve feels similar to the Thunderace , but way more confortable! Really loved that grunt!

Here you go, just closed the deal, and i'm really anxious to bring it home! I'll post a few pictures as soon as i can.

Thanks

Paulo

·
Registered
208 Posts
It's good to see you starting your love affair with your sexy mistress. Where do you live in Portugal? I've never been there, but really want to see it. I am thinking of retiring there someday. I have a 2009 FJR that I keep stored in Heidelberg, Germany, since 2019 and have ridden many places in Europe. Just not Portugal yet! I keep reading all kinds of wonderful things about it. I can't wait to check it out.

·
Registered
FJR 1300 Gen 1 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, i want to put a sticker on it, something like "The Other" or "The Mistress" but i think i will be in trouble with my wife! I've just made this one in attachment because to me this is the feeling i got on this bike.

I live in Alentejo (south), in Moura, a small city near the Alqueva dam and Spain.I can tell you that more and more people from foreign countries retire in here, maybe because it is still quite safe and quiet.

Yesterday i ride with my wife, i'm really happy because she said it was confortable, this was one of the reasons to get the FJR, so it's a win! The issue was with the stock handlebars ergo, my wrists were killing me. I ordered some spacers (up and back around 25mm). On the day before i had no issues, but i think it was related with the more agressive riding style, yesterday was only about laying back on the seat and cruising at 80 - 100km/h.

And i'm going to try putting some spacers on the bottom bracket before moving into a longer screen. I've been reading and it may solve something as the screen gets really away and tilted front when it's raised to the top.

Related to agressive riding style...this bike is really easy to! I reached 220 km/h several times, and then i reduced to "reality" because i remember i got the side cases on. Has the idea is to have the side cases on the bike the whole time, do we have any speed constrainments with those? I remember my oem set on the Africa Twin was only "good to go" until 140 or 150 km/h.

Attachments

·
Registered
FJR 1300 Gen 1 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, spacers in place, only with washers while the alluminium ones doesn't arrive. You can see the difference in the angle. The only thing is that full raised up the bottom part of the mechanism touches the fairing...

I ll try like this for a while and then access if the spacer can be reduced.

A few photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,302 Posts
Bem-vindo à horda, Paulo!! Estar entre amigos!

·
Registered
FJR 1300 Gen 1 2004
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Motorcycle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Bumper

Just get new bar risers yesterday. My wrists were used to other kind of ergo...

And even with the mod on the shield mechanism I had to order a bigger one. The OEM is too narrow on the top and allow a lot of windblast on my neck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts