FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Member, not a new Owner. I've already read a few of these so I'll just introduce myself and say Hello/thank you.

I currently have a 98 VFR800 (5th gen). I ride nearly every day if the weather is 50F or above and not raining. I started riding again this year.

By next spring, I would like to include my wife so I have been keeping my eyes open for gear and reading everything I can on Sport touring bikes. I think I have narrowed it down to the FJR for quite a few reasons. Also based on what I have read and $$, I'm leaning toward 2008-2012. There are a lot of 2005's out there for sale.....

My wife (of 30 yrs) has a disability so something with a backrest is a must for her comfort. She is afraid of sliding off the back (VFR). We have ridden together in the past but it has been a long time and we aren't getting any younger. I think she has some reservations due to her disability. I'm not pushing her but I say we are getting older, you only live once and if it doesn't work out, our loss will be minimal. I know she will love it if she is able. I love the VFR but can't take more than about 4 hrs on it so would likely keep the FJR anyway.

Prices seem crazy right now so I'm biding my time, learning what I can. Maybe by this winter used prices will back off some. In the meantime if something pops up.... I would like to find something in driving distance but not opposed to shipping something but that may be a little nerve racking buying used sight unseen.

I'll be reading a lot, any tips you have in the meantime will be appreciated. I presume there are threads on sub frame damage from a top box etc. around here. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Sp00ks,

Welcome to the FJR sandbox! Pull up a seat, and relax.

You may want to consider a rear top box (with a backrest pad) for your convenience and her comfort. Doesn't need to be a large one, so it does not need to cost a lot. The OEM rear subframe is not strong, so add a stronger support frame to go with the top box, if you go that way.

Reactions: Sp00ks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Red.

I found a 2012 on Craigslist with 6500mi for a reasonable price, looks bone stock. I messaged the guy, waiting on a reply but you know how Craigslist goes....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Welcome neighbor.
Not sure of your budget, but I would try to "make a way" to get Jerry's 2013. Sweet money with all the goods on his bike.
Just would need a top case / trunk that would serve as a passenger backrest and also more storage.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

If your budget will stretch, I'd suggest a Series III (2013 on). The 2013 that Rumblestrip posted about is very nicely equipped including the three "standard" mods that most get: handlebar risers (if you are 6' or taller, you will probably need them), the Russell seat (sort of wish I had one, but what I do have is . . . good enough for 500 to 600 mile days), and the modded windshield (many use that laminar lip or a larger windshield). And 63K miles for an FJR is barely broken in.

OTOH, I think by 2010 or so, Yamaha had gotten the EFI system pretty well sorted, so if the price is right, a 2012 would be a pretty good choice.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
693 Posts
Welcome to the Hoard, Sp00ks! Be among friends!

I concur with my esteemed colleagues who recommend the 2013, Jerry has! That vintage has worked out all the earlier "issues" that could be annoying. Especially if you are going to take your spouse on with you! The 2013 has an OEM rear shock way more conducive to 2-up riding!

And yes, the tail trunk is a necessity for 2-up riding!

After you decide, and make the purchase, you are required to post up a pic! LOL Not of you, we don't care what You look like, just the bike!! 🤣

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After you decide, and make the purchase, you are required to post up a pic! LOL Not of you, we don't care what You look like, just the bike!! 🤣
Trust me, nobody wants to see that LOL.

Legit question, I'm not being snarky.

A 2013 with 65k miles is that much better over a 2012 with 6.5K miles? Basically the same money if memory serves.

Yes I do realize I would have to buy at least some of those items that Jerry already has on his. My other concern is resale if my wife doesn't enjoy it or is unable to.

Oh and I did find out the 2012 has been "dropped in a parking lot by a friend" The pics kind of suck and it's hard to tell what damage there is. The Spidey senses are starting to kick in.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
No worries Sp00ks! It's all good!

This is just my opinion, YMMV, but the 2013, has the better rear shock already. You will have to buy a new rear shock, for between $420 - $1200 depending if you go OEM or aftermarket.

These bikes can go for 100K+ if they are taken care of. I hear what you are saying, regarding the 65K vs the 6.5K. It may require you putting your eyes and hands on both.

Oh, and yeah, you "will" drop the bike. It is not matter of if, but when! LOL They are really top heavy, especially at low speeds. I have been riding for 40+ years, and I dropped Orion, last month, in front of friends, and it was captured, for eternity, on video...

I hope someone who has a 2013 can elucidate more, since I do not have that vintage. I am drawing just from my studies.

Either way, you are gonna be so amped, after you get it and ride!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
2012 at 6500 miles is just over 700 miles per year. To me would be way too much sitting. Do you know if it was bought new by the PO ?
That 2013 at 65k is nothing to fret over, especially with the service records available. And the goodie package with it is solid.
My '13 has over 90k now and as others will attest, has many miles left. No issues at all, just standard service goods and wear items.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Thanks, Rumble!! I appreciate the assist!!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oh, and yeah, you "will" drop the bike. It is not matter of if, but when! LOL They are really top heavy, especially at low speeds. I have been riding for 40+ years, and I dropped Orion, last month, in front of friends
Sp00ks,

Prolly true . . .You can minimize the chances of a drop by always parking on level spots where you can roll out going forward, never backward. The ability to flat-foot then will be helpful; aggressive boot treads ("waffle-stompers") underfoot will bring the Earth closer.

Fall bars and frame sliders are important, to minimize damage from a drop. Even a zero-speed drop can cost far more than the protection of fall bars and frame sliders. Many here will attest . . .

It will also be helpful to run only a half a tank of gas for a while, until you get a fair handle on the beast. The FJR gets maybe 40+ mpg, so half a tank is still a long way between gas stops. Once the FJR gets too far from vertical, no rider can stop the drop, so do your best to keep the bike vertical when paddling around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@skippy344! Dropped my VFR a couple weeks ago in a parking lot. Put the kickstand down on some uneven asphalt, apparently, and it fell over. Right in front of a guy I was riding with for the first time...I feel your pain. It "was" a 98 without a scratch, looked like it just came off the showroom floor. I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.

@Rumblestrip
I am not worried about the mileage persay. From everything I have read these bikes are good to lay down some mileage, like my VFR. However, if the wife can't handle being a pillion due to her disability (&chronic pain) 'and' I decide to sell, I would think resale on a bike with lower mileage would be easier to the average joe. Or I'll likely take a pretty good hit on it unless Jerry would come down on his price considerably but that is a private conversation..... I like most of his goodie list, a lot I would do as well. Also, he is about 5 hours from me, not terrible but a small hurdle.

The wife would not be able to handle the VFR for anything further than in town.

I would love to buy one about that distance and ride it back vs. trailer. :)

Thanks for the conversation folks, I do appreciate it. It's helping me make some decisions. I'm not getting the warm fuzzy from the craigslist guy, I may opt to not even go look at it at this point. I'm trying not to rush into anything either.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
So many great things, Red just said!!

Coincidentally, I had just installed the R-Gaza engine guards on Orion, right before I dropped it! A week later, the rear R-Gaza bars came in, and I installed them!

I had not thought of a half tank, before I got used to the beast! What a great idea!!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
Having owned both an 07 and a 13 i say yes, the 13 is a huge i improvement in nearly every way- wind management much better on the 07. Other than that, it's the 13 all the way.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
Thanks for the reply Red.

I found a 2012 on Craigslist with 6500mi for a reasonable price, looks bone stock. I messaged the guy, waiting on a reply but you know how Craigslist goes....
Welcome to the play ground. Great group here. Dude you need to get on that listing on Craig's list. Is it the one over in Raleigh? I just saw it. Not bad. Obviously you could sort out with him if there have been any issues, but MAN that’s a deal. I’m in High point and there are several i
Of us who ride FJRs over here. What’s your location?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
Another point for the 2013: The bike has both driver and passenger Russell seats fitted. Your wife should be much more comfortable on the 2013 than she would be on the 2012.
Probably but there's no guarentee. There are those few freaks of nature that despise the Russell seats ;). Just sayin'.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to the play ground. Great group here. Dude you need to get on that listing on Craig's list. Is it the one over in Raleigh? I just saw it. Not bad. Obviously you could sort out with him if there have been any issues, but MAN that’s a deal. I’m in High point and there are several i
south west of Fuquay Varina

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've asked him at least twice when and where. He doesn't sound like a motivated seller. Bike has been dropped but no details on the damage. 700 miles a year on average, it has sat a lot. Not a deal killer, just an observation.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
I've asked him at least twice when and where. He doesn't sound like a motivated seller. Bike has been dropped but no details on the damage. 700 miles a year on average, it has sat a lot. Not a deal killer, just an observation.
Bummer keep us up to date. You’re not far from several of us who ride so we could meet up. 👍

1 - 20 of 26 Posts