FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my baby out for the first ride of the year and was reminded of increased vibration at both pegs and handlebars. Came on at around 4,000 miles (6,400 km). The odometer is now at 4,800 miles. Seems to be rpm related, that is it occurs as the engine is revv'd. I balanced the throttle bodies when I first noticed it with no change. When it is consistently warm outside I plan to pull the body-work and check for fastener tightness and do every bit of the periodic maintenance. Anyone have any comments? Could it be plugs at this low mileage?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, it could definitely be the plugs. I always notice a reduction in vibration when I change the plugs. Although your plugs haven't done much mileage, if your bike has been standing for a long time over winter, corrosion has not stopped happening. Bad plugs cause the ignition timing to constantly vary because the plugs do not consistantly fire at the same voltage. This causes rough running and vibration. A lot of people are not sensitive to this vibration, and run their plugs for a ridiculously long mileage, thinking everything is fine, but it's not.

And plugs are cheap and easy to change, if they are not the cause of the vibration, so what, try something else.

·
Registered
531 Posts
+1 for the plugs. I put 10K on mine in the first 6 months of owning it, then decided to check the plugs during a TB synch. I didnt think they actually would need replacement, but they were shot. Believe me, this motor is hard on plugs. I put in a set of the NGK Iridium IX and it has been smoooooth and happy for the last 5K. Probably wouldnt hurt to run half a bottle of Techron through a tank of fuel to clean up any nasties that could have formed during the sit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
Yes I feel it to
On my bike the vibes started around only 800 Km's. I have now 14000 Km's and a lot of adjustments later and they are still there.
The dealer already did a lot of checks and adjustments, but none of them really helped. The dealer told me he suspected that the vibes are coming from the balancing of the crankshaft. but this seems unlikely to me because the first 800Km there were no vibes at all. So or it is balanced correctly or it aint. Do not see how this can change overnight.
I'm really glad I'm not the only one suffering from this problem.
First thing I will do now is change the plugs.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I always change my plugs at every 10,000 Km (6,000 Mile) service as a matter of course. As I'm working on the bike anyway, and plugs are cheap, why not change them. And as I said above, even with such a low mileage on the plugs, I still notice a reduction in vibration every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.