FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off I wanted to say thanks for having this wonderful community on what certaintly appears to be a wonderful motorcycle.

I am in the market for a new motorcycle and have been eyeing the FJR along with several other motorcycles... I was hoping a few people here could assist in defining the pro/cons of the FJR when compared to the other motorcycles in my group...

The motorcycles in my group in my group that I am comparing, along with my brief comparisons

The suzuki Hayabusa
-more horsepower
-much higher insurance (have not price shopped to exclusively)
-not as good a touring bike as the FJR
-lighter? (guessing)
-no factory bags
-cheaper
basically, the busa is lighter, faster, but not as good at touring... Due to it's popularity it's a very easy bike to convert for touring and because its alot cheaper the savings would allow for lots of mods

The Honda ST1300
I have no way of comparing this to the FJR, please advise.

last but not lease the
a used BMW K1200RS/GT. I simply can't justify the cost of a new k1200s.

a few other bikes that I have considered are the FZ1, vfr800, sprint st, aprilia futura.

I am looking for a bike that is easy in stop and go, as I have a 15 mile commute to work every morning, can handle city riding, but straighten a ribbon of road. I am not hoping for 600 like agility, but I don't want something thats goldwing like lazy either...

I thought about using search but had no idea what to search for sorry

·
Registered
38 Posts
clearwaterms

Well, most people on this site just love the FJR as I do, BUT. There's always a BUT. What suits others may not suit you so I suggest you go and get as many rides on bikes that you are thinking of buying first, I did. Tested Honda (a few models), BMW, and then the FJR which I just knew was for me as soon as I sat on it. It's not the most perfect bike on the road but it's sure pretty damn quick when it wants and you can ride it all day two up with luggage then get off fresh as a daisy. Try that on a Busa. It's steady in town also, I can manage and I have terrible back problems.

To sum it up if you go for the FJR you will not be disappointed.

Let us all know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The bike is easy in stop and go city traffic though not the best bike for this. The FZ1 might be better. It will commute 2 miles or 200, quite easily.
It can straighten a ribbon of road very well but again the FZ1 might be a tad better. This bike is the love child of an R6 and a Goldwing falling slightly more toward the R6 in my opinion. It loves twisty mountain roads and handles them well, but not quit like an R6 or even the FZ1 but then they won't take you on 500-600 mile trips in comfort either. Oh did I mention this bike is fast, real fast. Not stupid fast like the Hayabusa but its not too far behind in a drag race.

If Yamaha could figure out how to lose 40-60 lbs it would be perfect in my opinion. but, then it wouldn't be the nice touring bike that it is right now.

Glenn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure that any motorcycle in my list will make me happy. Currently I have a sv650, which is a great motorcycle, but it's not exactly a touring friendly bike... NO fairings, drag bars, aftermarket exhaust...

but at 360 pounds and a v-twin roar it's a blast to ride around for up to about 300 miles a day... I really want to be able to easily ride 500-600 miles a day, and while I am sure that ANY of the bikes on my list could easily be made to ride those distances, the FJR and ST could do it the easiest out of the box...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Clearwaterms,

I think that answer is clear, if you ask yourshelf which one you prefer, to have sport-touring bike or sport-touring bike.

There's nothing on touring side on Busa, there's nothing on sport side on ST Honda.

The best sport-touring bike is Triumph Sprint ST 1050, none other bike comes even close to it. Take a look how beuatiful my baby is: http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/390518/

The best sport-touring bike is of course FJR, I've got no picture yet of my new FJR, but I'll take a few on weekend...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gr8eyes said:
The bike is easy in stop and go city traffic though not the best bike for this. The FZ1 might be better. It will commute 2 miles or 200, quite easily.
It can straighten a ribbon of road very well but again the FZ1 might be a tad better. This bike is the love child of an R6 and a Goldwing falling slightly more toward the R6 in my opinion. It loves twisty mountain roads and handles them well, but not quit like an R6 or even the FZ1 but then they won't take you on 500-600 mile trips in comfort either. Oh did I mention this bike is fast, real fast. Not stupid fast like the Hayabusa but its not too far behind in a drag race.

If Yamaha could figure out how to lose 40-60 lbs it would be perfect in my opinion. but, then it wouldn't be the nice touring bike that it is right now.

Glenn
I am storing a buddies 'busa in my garage and last night I convinced him to let me take it into work this morning... NO MORTAL needs that much horsepower in a motorcycle... that thing is beyond words to describe how fast it is (stock of course) I am comming from an SV650, which is a nimble sportbike (albeit GUTLESS) After riding my buddies busa it would be very difficult to justify that MUCH horsepower...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now, to be fair. I have reviewed some similar threads over on a popular ST website. obviously those people are biased towards there motorcycle, but I am wondering if you fine FJR owners would like to speak up about the FJR against the ST1300, as these two motorcycles often times are compared...

The FJR appears to be a faster motorcycle that carries less weight, however some say it's doesn't handle as well.

The Honda people state the the FJR gas tank isn't as large as the honda's, which doesn't bother me because after 200 miles, I am ready for a break... and none of my riding buddies have bikes that can go more then 150ish (sportbike group)

The honda people state that the ST warrenty is better, being a 3 year with a low cost upgrade to a 6 year. On that note some people claim the Yammie's support to owners is less then on par, but that honda is excellent.

People say that the FJR has valve bucket issues? is this true? what kind of motor problems does the FJR have?

A wise man over at the ST board stated quite clearly that the two were both fine motorcycles made by excellent companies... and that the FJRis the logical choice of a sport touring person who is coming from the Sport side, and the ST1300 is the logical choice of the person comming from the Touring side...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've got a buddy with an ST-1100 and I've ridden the ST-1300 at Bike Week a couple of times. In addition the bike I had before the 2005 FJR was a Triumph Sprint ST ('00 model year). I REALLY liked my Triumph and put over 30k miles on it over 4 years. I like the FJR more though, primarily because of the more relaxed riding position, more power, and shaft drive. Riding my buddies ST-1100 and the ST-1300 left me bored. Although both bikes were supremely comfortable and had better weather protection, the lack of power compared with the FJR helped to make my decision. The best analogy I can come up with is the Honda is Laura Bush....pretty, competent, excellent manners, etc. The FJR is Pamela Sue Anderson.....smokin' hot, totally off the hook, and not someone you could take home to mom....but DAMN!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
clearwaterms said:
The FJR appears to be a faster motorcycle that carries less weight, however some say it's doesn't handle as well.
:shock: :crylarf:

·
Registered
141 Posts
marshman said:
clearwaterms said:
:shock: :crylarf:
Contrary to popular belief in the FJR crowd, the ST does handle very well and on par with the FJR.

The lack of power compared to the FJR is also highly overrated, as the difference is <10% and the same goes for the torque it makes, and due to its V4 configuration it makes its torque at even lower rpm's.

However, due to its more straight up position it feels much more like a tourer than the FJR.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have only had a couple of rides on an STX, and like some of the magazine reviews, found it to feel a little more 'remote' than the FJR. Competent enough, and no doubt almost as capable, but just not as involving. Maybe more familiarity with it might help, but after a brief acquaintance it wasn't quite as much fun.

IIRC there was one police force in the UK which grounded its STX fleet at least temporarily because of handling problems.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What you describe is prolly caused by the longer handlebars and straigt up position.

I prefer my FJR too, cause of the more sporty feel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts