Fjrowners.com banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks Way8lifter!

I always liked the red color, and when a local deal came up private seller on Craigslist, just 5 miles from my house, and a good deal at that - I jumped on it!

($7000 cash 2014 ES with 15k miles)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
So when I got my new tires put on at the dealer, on the way out the service advisor had me sign a "danger waiver" before she would release the bike: apparently I had a leaking fork seal which rendered the bike totally unsafe to operate.

It's a wonder I wasn't killed on the ride home.

She quoted me $600 for two new fork seals "may as well do both".

Got home and checked the forum, and found the recommendations to try the Seal Mate. Ended up going with a similar product, the Seal Doctor - was a few bucks more but excellent reviews and many noted it "lasts longer than the Seal Mate I tried before".

The right fork seal was indeed leaking a bit, and looking at the fork could see some old dried bug strike residue, stubbornly clinging to the fork in a couple of places on the right fork, which I'm thinking may have been the culprit or contributed to the leaking seal.

Used the Seal Doctor per instructions, and as of today has been over 2 weeks and over 500 miles with no recurrence of the leak!

Anybody have any input on whether this is a lasting solution? or will I need new fork seals in short order? The bike just turned 16k miles.

Also, what does a typical fork seal replacement job cost at a dealer? less at an independent motorcycle mechanic shop?

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
The seal tools work when there is accumulated grunge between the two main seal lips. The dust seals don't stop much but the big pieces. Bug guts and stone chips in the fork tube will however damage the seal lip and it will leak. If the bottom lip is ok, the leak will be small.
And, there is always a teeny bit of oil film on the fork tube anyway as natural seepage lubrication to minimize stiction.
Cleaning out the grunge will buy you some time, but at some future point, you'll likely need seals.

I dunno what dealers charge for fork seals, but it will include new bushings and seals. Labour? Gotta remove brake calipers, wheels, fender, ABS sensor from the forks to then remove the forks, then of course all that to reverse the process...... best if you can do that yourself and take the forks in... much cheaper. $600 sounds like waaay too much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have used the Seal Mate many times over upteen billion miles. So far it has always worked and I have never had to replace the fork seals. Until the next for service that is. About every 40-50k miles for me. The Seal Mate has worked so well I have bought several and keep one on each of my bikes in case of issues while traveling.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Added the Pirates Lair backrest picked up used in excellent condition from another forum member.

May be able to get the wife out for the occasional rare ride now, but will also serve to strap a duffel bag to the back seat if I go on any solo road trips, along with the factory side bags.

Reactions: radiostatic

·
Registered
49 Posts
So when I got my new tires put on at the dealer, on the way out the service advisor had me sign a "danger waiver" before she would release the bike: apparently I had a leaking fork seal which rendered the bike totally unsafe to operate.

It's a wonder I wasn't killed on the ride home.

She quoted me $600 for two new fork seals "may as well do both".

Got home and checked the forum, and found the recommendations to try the Seal Mate. Ended up going with a similar product, the Seal Doctor - was a few bucks more but excellent reviews and many noted it "lasts longer than the Seal Mate I tried before".

The right fork seal was indeed leaking a bit, and looking at the fork could see some old dried bug strike residue, stubbornly clinging to the fork in a couple of places on the right fork, which I'm thinking may have been the culprit or contributed to the leaking seal.

Used the Seal Doctor per instructions, and as of today has been over 2 weeks and over 500 miles with no recurrence of the leak!

Anybody have any input on whether this is a lasting solution? or will I need new fork seals in short order? The bike just turned 16k miles.

Also, what does a typical fork seal replacement job cost at a dealer? less at an independent motorcycle mechanic shop?
the cost could run a few hundred dollars
more to get to the fork seals than the work to replace

the whole front end needs to come off

its NOT a dangerous scenario
UNless fork oil gets on the front rotor/pads or on the front tyre itself

U got a good deal on the bike
fork seals go..................nothing that could be foreseen

save up a few hundred $$$$$
get a reasonable estimate................get it done

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Got a pair of FZ1 mirrors off flea bay, and thanks to some excellent advice in this forum, just got them mounted.

Definitely a huge improvement even sitting on the bike in the garage - looking forward to my next ride.

I can see where some might prefer the esthetics of the factory mirrors, but for me function trumps form, and I think they look factory.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got a pair of FZ1 mirrors off flea bay, and thanks to some excellent advice in this forum, just got them mounted.

Definitely a huge improvement even sitting on the bike in the garage - looking forward to my next ride.

I can see where some might prefer the esthetics of the factory mirrors, but for me function trumps form, and I think they look factory.
Personally, I think that the FZ-1 mirrors make the bike look like it's one of those insects that have their eyes on stalks away from their head. But, I love the fact that I can see what's behind me without any effort and since I'm not doing any lane splitting.....As you said, "function trumps form".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Have had the bike out for two rides since installing the FZ1 mirrors.

DANG IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Literally, when I look in the left mirror, I can see not only directly behind me, but I can even see the lane to the right of my bike, maybe one car length back, and vice versa on the other side.

Incredible bang for the buck safety and performance upgrade, IMO.

Any market for the used factory red ones? wondering if it's worth the trouble to throw them up on fleabay (one of them has a couple of scratches also so prob not worth a lot)

Reactions: passx and RaYzerman

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Just put any FJR stuff up for sale on this or other forum.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Red, couple of things. Take some time to adjust the pivots on those fz1 mirrors,you want them to be just tight enough not to move while riding but to easily fold if the bike is dropped to keep from breaking your mirror stays ($$$),

I too installed the Emgo fz1 mirror’s and while they indeed make the bike look more “bug like” they just work ! You can see much better behind you, a big plus ! The downside which our own Russ is right about is if you have some idiot with their brights on or just extremely right lights you do get blinded, but I’ve found that I can usually move my elbows out & block them.

Adjust your pivots !

Put your old mirrors “for sale” here because someone is always looking for them, I should probably follow my own advice as I have a number of “take off” things I should get rid of.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Love the bike, love the color, love the smuggler!

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hello All,

New owner of a clean 2014 FJR1300A.

While researching the bike over the last few months, was directed to this forum again and again - lots of good info here!

A little background, was an avid motorcycle rider from my teenage years up until about 30, (didn't even own a car until I was 26), with probably 100k miles on various street bikes during that time. Bikes I owned included an '83 Honda XL250, 82 Yamaha Seca 750, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 85 Honda Nighthawk S, 90 Suzuki 750 Katana, and an 89 Yamaha FJ1200.

Gave up motorcycles when I turned 30, a couple of years after getting married, and a couple of years before starting a family.

Wife always knew I would eventually get one, and now in my early 50's, figure the clock is running out, so have been doing some research for several months. Was looking very hard at a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, with the FJR1300 always a consideration for the type of riding I plan on doing - and when a clean, low miles, private sale came available, I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

Have actually only been riding it around my neighborhood - like a bonehead, when I moved to my current state after getting out of the military and turned in my old license, I opted not to pay to have the "motorcycle endorsement" moved to my new license, as it was added expense, and I had no plans to get a motorcycle for a long time. Come to find out it is a huge hassle to get one, and I am working on that now.

Looking forward to spending lots of time on this forum learning the intricacies of my new machine from the more experienced hands around here!

Joe
Hey, Joe. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Thanks fellas!

Appreciate all the kind words and sage advice!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Have been meaning to post up these pics - last month was perusing Craigslist and saw a listing for "FJR1300 Aftermarket slip on exhausts, want to trade for factory exhausts in good condition"

The poster had a Gen2, so a quick search of this forums information, and I found that the pipes from my Gen3 were compatible!

Contacted the poster, a nice gentleman about a decade my senior, who just wanted the quieter tone of the stock pipes, he had bought his bike with the aftermarket pipes on it.

The are Vance & Hines CS One pipes, which I believe retailed for about $800 a set, when they were available a few years ago. Pipes were in excellent condition, with one of them having a slight dent from the passengers boot, it appears.

Rode to the posters house, and we did the swap in his driveway, took almost exactly an hour, with us taking our time and swapping stories while we worked.

Really like the new tone - sounds (and feels, lol) much more muscular and deep in tone, without being obnoxiously loud. I don't feel like a cop would even turn his head if I was getting on it when driving by.

Drone?

Perhaps a bit when at about 60-70 mph, I find it goes away at my typical highway cruising speeds of 75-80 mph.

Bonus is the pipes look great (IMO) and save about 10 lbs of weight from the stock set.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love your backstory! I'm also mid-50's and just got a new 2020 - after having to sell my 2008 in 2011 (**** economy)... let me tell you - I simply LOVE the bike.

I hope you get to really enjoy it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Added a set of Barkbusters 2 weeks ago to keep the wind off my hands.

Pretty happy with them, were just over $100 for the set at CycleGear (my new favorite store, along with Revzilla, lol!)

Did 160 miles round trip to Arizona to buy lottery tickets in the morning, with temps in the upper 40's and lower 50's. Had my heavy winter gloves on the way there and my hands were SWEATING. Switched to lightweight gloves for the ride home and was very comfortable.

Will take them off in the warmer months.

Install was a breeze, but they do slightly hit the windscreen at full lock left and right.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts