FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New owner of a clean 2014 FJR1300A.

While researching the bike over the last few months, was directed to this forum again and again - lots of good info here!

A little background, was an avid motorcycle rider from my teenage years up until about 30, (didn't even own a car until I was 26), with probably 100k miles on various street bikes during that time. Bikes I owned included an '83 Honda XL250, 82 Yamaha Seca 750, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 85 Honda Nighthawk S, 90 Suzuki 750 Katana, and an 89 Yamaha FJ1200.

Gave up motorcycles when I turned 30, a couple of years after getting married, and a couple of years before starting a family.

Wife always knew I would eventually get one, and now in my early 50's, figure the clock is running out, so have been doing some research for several months. Was looking very hard at a Yamaha Tracer 900 GT, with the FJR1300 always a consideration for the type of riding I plan on doing - and when a clean, low miles, private sale came available, I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

Have actually only been riding it around my neighborhood - like a bonehead, when I moved to my current state after getting out of the military and turned in my old license, I opted not to pay to have the "motorcycle endorsement" moved to my new license, as it was added expense, and I had no plans to get a motorcycle for a long time. Come to find out it is a huge hassle to get one, and I am working on that now.

Looking forward to spending lots of time on this forum learning the intricacies of my new machine from the more experienced hands around here!

Joe

·
Registered
373 Posts
Congrats!!! Great looking bike and you got the Corbin Smuggler on it, that's awesome. Yeah, I hear you on keeping the M endorsement, I did pay the extra for quite some time before getting back into riding because of the exact reason you now found out. I didn't want to have to start from scratch and in the end that actually paid off.

Well, congrats again on a great looking bike and welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Red rock, congratulations on that fastest color red 14 and welcome, you’re gonna love it ! I would suggest you add your location and bike model/yr to your signature line. Again welcome !

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase decision.

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
143 Posts
Welcome! Briefly had a 14ES & it'll always be my favorite color. Enjoy your new ride & I suggest formal rider training to get your basic skills well engrained.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,431 Posts
Oh my, one of those slower lipstick pinks like passx has.... well, at least the Smuggler makes it look faster..>:)
Congrats on the bike, Joe, you're gonna like it a lot!!!

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
541 Posts
Welcome, Joe!

Great looking bike! Love the Corbin Smuggler!

Yes, you have stumbled upon a great site with smart, like-minded people!

I have made many friends here, and have gotten a lot of great information!

Next round is on Joe!

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Welcome, i would suggest some type of tip over protection. Good looking ride, I know! LOL
How many miles were on her? I luckily had never let my "M" endorsement expire. Over the years I seen how progressively difficult it was becoming of getting a motorcycle license or endorsement. When I had gotten mine, you had to pass the written and got a temporary. I was able to ride up alone to my road test. Tester stood in spot and you had to do a large figure 8 within cones. If you didn't touch one cone, you passed and got your endorsement immediately. How that tested one for street riding, I don't know.

As I said, large figure 8. Going from mini bikes to dirt riding to street, a figure 8 I could have done in my sleep. Nowadays, fugetaboutit. Knowing what I know now, even today's riding test still doesn't prepare for actual street riding but it is much closer than it used to be. The only true test is accumulated experience and constant practice and most of all, good luck!

Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your licensing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome back to the 2 wheeled crazy crew! I'm not that long into my FJR journey myself, but this place & this machine is awesome.

She looks brand new. Do you have the side cases/saddlebags?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the kind words of welcome, guys!

Welcome! Briefly had a 14ES & it'll always be my favorite color. Enjoy your new ride & I suggest formal rider training to get your basic skills well engrained.
Are there any specific courses you recommend?

Taking the Basic Rider Course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at the local community college next weekend. The course is 2- hours on Friday night, then all day Saturday and Sunday, and they even have bikes to ride (I believe 250cc street bikes). Taking this will allow me to skip the DMV written test, then permit, and then the riders test at the DMV - anything that limits my dealing with the DMV is preferable, lol. Just need to turn in a course completion certificate to get the motorcycle endorsement back on my drivers license.

The course is geared for new riders (not sure if you read my entire post, although I am a bit rusty, with over 100,000 accident free miles on bikes from 250cc to 1200cc over the course of about 15 years, thinking I probably don't fit the "new rider" category all that well), but I am hoping that I still might learn or be reminded of some useful tips.

As I have taught both of my kids to drive (schools didn't offer Drivers Ed., and I didn't see the value in paying for a private driving school), I often told them I credited my defensive driving skills with having learned the rules of the road and having my initial several years of experience on a motorcycle, where I learned to EXPECT people to not see me and to pull out in front of me, etc, and to alway plan an exit route should that happen).

You gotta ditch those silver side covers!! Love the smuggler.
Wow that looks nice!

Did you get them custom painted at an auto body shop? or are they sold that way somewhere?

cost?

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Just joined myself, had some great advice from the friendly guys, you’ll love the bike, few things can be improved on, but is a great tourer,

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,431 Posts
The side covers became available in red.... check Partzilla, $85 each.

·
Registered
623 Posts
First and most importantly Thank you for serving our country and Welcome to the forum.

Great bike, great color its not just a great tourer it’s a great do anything bike. Best of all going forward it has a super low cost of ownership. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Welcome, i would suggest some type of tip over protection. Good looking ride, I know! LOL
How many miles were on her? I luckily had never let my "M" endorsement expire. Over the years I seen how progressively difficult it was becoming of getting a motorcycle license or endorsement. When I had gotten mine, you had to pass the written and got a temporary. I was able to ride up alone to my road test. Tester stood in spot and you had to do a large figure 8 within cones. If you didn't touch one cone, you passed and got your endorsement immediately. How that tested one for street riding, I don't know.

As I said, large figure 8. Going from mini bikes to dirt riding to street, a figure 8 I could have done in my sleep. Nowadays, fugetaboutit. Knowing what I know now, even today's riding test still doesn't prepare for actual street riding but it is much closer than it used to be. The only true test is accumulated experience and constant practice and most of all, good luck!

Again, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your licensing.
Thanks!

Was thinking the same thing about tipover protection - I've seen a couple of different types on listings, gonna have to do some research on that - do you have a brand that you are partial to? Ideally that doesn't break the bank and is easily owner installed? Have only ever dropped one bike (not crashed, just dropped at under walking speed when turning it around in a dirt/gravel area - the '82 V45 Sabre that I noted in my initial post - I loved that bike and rode it halfway across the country and back - but it was a pig, a bit underpowered, very top heavy (the V4 engine was narrow relative to an inline-4, but the weight was carried higher, with a wet weight of 542 lbs according to a quick look at the specs). So while no stranger to big bikes, I have noticed the FJR is a bit of a handful at parking lot speeds and in the garage.

15,700 miles on the clock, not bad for the year.

Yes I found some info on the DMV riding test here, and apparently a lot of whether or not you pass seems to be dependent on the mood of the tester that day......
Also thinking the FJR is not the most ideal bike to be taking a low speed, tight boundary riding course on...
Rather not deal with that stress, hence taking the MSF Basic Course in lieu of it. Probably the same course I had to take 30 years ago to get riding privileges at one of the bases I was stationed at - I remember doing the cones, lol!

Welcome back to the 2 wheeled crazy crew! I'm not that long into my FJR journey myself, but this place & this machine is awesome.

She looks brand new. Do you have the side cases/saddlebags?
Thanks! Yes excellent condition for a 6.5 year old bike - that clinched my decision to buy!
Only under very close scrutiny can you see a couple of small "garage mishap" type scratches on the paint, and on one of the saddlebags (the last owner admitted scraping it when trying to squeeze into his garage past his car). I took the bags off right away, I know some guys leave them on, but I only plan on putting them on if going on an overnight or long distance trip.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thanks for all the kind words of welcome, guys!

Are there any specific courses you recommend?

Taking the Basic Rider Course by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation at the local community college next weekend. The course is 2- hours on Friday night, then all day Saturday and Sunday, and they even have bikes to ride (I believe 250cc street bikes). Taking this will allow me to skip the DMV written test, then permit, and then the riders test at the DMV - anything that limits my dealing with the DMV is preferable, lol. Just need to turn in a course completion certificate to get the motorcycle endorsement back on my drivers license.

The course is geared for new riders (not sure if you read my entire post, although I am a bit rusty, with over 100,000 accident free miles on bikes from 250cc to 1200cc over the course of about 15 years, thinking I probably don't fit the "new rider" category all that well), but I am hoping that I still might learn or be reminded of some useful tips.

As I have taught both of my kids to drive (schools didn't offer Drivers Ed., and I didn't see the value in paying for a private driving school), I often told them I credited my defensive driving skills with having learned the rules of the road and having my initial several years of experience on a motorcycle, where I learned to EXPECT people to not see me and to pull out in front of me, etc, and to alway plan an exit route should that happen).

Wow that looks nice!

Did you get them custom painted at an auto body shop? or are they sold that way somewhere?

cost?
3P6-Y2171-00-P6
3P6-Y2171-00-P7

I think Garauld can paint your covers and he does great work. Might be less expensive but you have to figure freight both ways on top of his work. It was easier for me to just order the panels.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts