Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! picked up my 07 w/50k a month ago. Loving it so far but looking to add a few things and learn from y'all. Anyone in the Scottsdale area?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Hi Art,

Welcome to the hoard! You will be soon inundated with a wealth of information that I encourage you to absorb like a sponge!

If you would, could you complete your signature block, so we "helpers" don't have to search for your model, or where you are?

Be proud, for you have entered the realm of the motorcycle Gods, The FJR Riders!

1st, please check your Cam Chain Tensioner, and see if it has a blue or green dot on the housing. If it does not, you will want to get that replaced ASAP!

Also, if your throttle is a little "snappy," there are some challenging but useful fixes for that symptom.

Also, what is the date code of your tires? If they are under 5 years, then you are OK, provided the tread is good.

Might as well change all the fluids, now, so you can start Your baseline of managed maintenance of your noble steed!

Oh, yeah, and Pics, gotta show us some pics!!

Again, welcome!

Reactions: Art Merideth

·
Registered
64 Posts
welcome --- you have some nice roads in your neck of the woods -- 60 to slow low was a cool ride as well as the old 666 -( 191 ). Enjoy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Code:
welcome --- you have some nice roads in your neck of the woods -- 60 to slow low was a cool ride as well as the old 666 -( 191 ). Enjoy
Yup, planning a nice AZ ride when the mountains warm up abit. 191 is definitely on that route!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hi All! picked up my 07 w/50k a month ago. Loving it so far but looking to add a few things and learn from y'all. Anyone in the Scottsdale area?
Art,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and relax a bit. We're mostly a friendly crew. For best bike results though, put these items on your list:

For any used bike, it's a good idea to replace the hydraulic fluids, brakes and clutch.
www.Speedbleeders.com makes it easy, and will know what the FJR needs there. Get their nifty fluid catcher bag, also.

Tire age is important, on the strong and heavy FJR. Tire age decoder - Scroll down a bit:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

The old Cam Chain Tensioner is not reliable; a bad one can wreck the engine instantly. You do not need to dis-assemble anything to see the CCT. It's not a difficult replacement project (we have process write-ups here), or see your dealer or independent bike repair shop.
CCT inspection:
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/133586-2007-funny-engine-noise.html#post1056346

The 2007 has an "abrupt" throttle response, for which Ivan has the real cure. ECU re-flash:
http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/fjr1300_g2.htm

That's a good start. BTW, we have lots of ways to spend Other Peoples' Money here. 8)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the collective Art. Congrats on the FJR. I love the bike so much I have owned 13 of them through the years and still own five. I have issues.

I live in northeast Phoenix. 40th Street and Greenway. Another FJR guy and I try to get out for a ride once a week or so. Give me a holler.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
OK, we all need to chip in to a GoFundMe I just setup for SkooterG... He really needs help! LOL

Well done, sir!!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Code:
Yup, planning a nice AZ ride when the mountains warm up abit. 191 is definitely on that route!
Welcome from the real AR ;)

I love 191 and ride it every time I'm in the area, which is twice so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the collective Art. Congrats on the FJR. I love the bike so much I have owned 13 of them through the years and still own five. I have issues.

I live in northeast Phoenix. 40th Street and Greenway. Another FJR guy and I try to get out for a ride once a week or so. Give me a holler.

Definitely will SkooterG! I'm always up for a good ride...............and then picking your brain and figuring out how much that's gonna cost me!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the welcome and info! Red, I will follow up on the cam tensioner and ECU flash, rolling on the throttle on the street corners makes me feel like a newb. I'll get some pics up soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After A few shorter rides (1 hour). I think I'm like the stock seat in the lowered position more than the Corbin that was on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. Near 124th Street and Shea. I generally ride two or three times a week with a great group of friends. Also, I am a long-time member of Black Mountain Motorcycle Club with around 100 members/family. We do really fun rides and get togethers. Check out the club. I am a long-term Harley rider that got a 2014 FJR six months ago and can't get over how much fun it is to ride. I even bought a 2016 that I keep in NC and plan to use it to visit the grandkids. Let me hear from you and let's ride. We are riding to Globe via Rosevelt Lake Friday morning if you are interested.

·
Registered
177 Posts
After A few shorter rides (1 hour). I think I'm like the stock seat in the lowered position more than the Corbin that was on the bike.
I didn't care for the Corbin seat and Smuggler Trunk that came on my bike either (I know a lot of guys love them, but I kept kicking it when swinging my leg over the bike, and I wanted my passenger seat available). Was quick and easy to sell on eBay, as a set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't care for the Corbin seat and Smuggler Trunk that came on my bike either (I know a lot of guys love them, but I kept kicking it when swinging my leg over the bike, and I wanted my passenger seat available). Was quick and easy to sell on eBay, as a set.
LOL That's good to hear I'm not the only one. I'll update after I put a few hours on the stocker. I'll sell the Corbin and use that money for other goodies if stock works for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. Near 124th Street and Shea. I generally ride two or three times a week with a great group of friends. Also, I am a long-time member of Black Mountain Motorcycle Club with around 100 members/family. We do really fun rides and get togethers. Check out the club. I am a long-term Harley rider that got a 2014 FJR six months ago and can't get over how much fun it is to ride. I even bought a 2016 that I keep in NC and plan to use it to visit the grandkids. Let me hear from you and let's ride. We are riding to Globe via Rosevelt Lake Friday morning if you are interested.
NICE! I'm out of town this weekend but will definitely reach out to you when I get some time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to the community Art. I'm not in Scottsdale, but rather over in the east valley in Gold Canyon. I'm a snowbird from NW WI, but manage to spend about 7 months a year down here. I ride an 08 FJR 1300 down here, and have an old 92 Softtail, and a 2019 KTM 1290 GT back home. Oh yeah, also a Norton 850 Commando Mk III in need of some TLC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Welcome from a fellow AZ rider! I'm up in Prescott (LOTS of nice roads up this way). I had 2008 that I was forced to sell in 2011 (f**king economy) - but just got a 2020 at Christmas time... and it's good to be home!

Keep us posted on your rides!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts