FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the picture of the european only model with the full fairing and hardbags. Dang- they shouldn't show pictures like that if I can't have one. :cry: That's going to be one great sport tourer

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Here's close up pictures of the Pannier setup

They are well past the axel point and should be very interesting when on the gas!

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I just got thru reading the article in Motorcyclist on the FZ1. They were a bit dissappointed in the engine. Evidently it has to be rev'd to 6,000rpm before the power gets real good. They would like more torque down low. Also the were ambivalent with the motoGP style suspension. In particular the front fork has rebound on one side and compression on the other.

Its funny the next article was on the new Ducati Monster and they loved the way the engine wailed once you got over 6,000 rpm.

Go figure.

Glenn

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wonder what Cycleworld will have to say? For the money I think the FZ1 is a better bike than the Monster IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have serious moto lust for the FZ1.
Life's a bitch when you only have enough coin to keep one bike on the road.

I want it. But I'm not gonna give up F Jr. to get it. :|

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
gr8eyes said:
I just got thru reading the article in Motorcyclist on the FZ1. They were a bit dissappointed in the engine. Evidently it has to be rev'd to 6,000rpm before the power gets real good. They would like more torque down low. Also the were ambivalent with the motoGP style suspension. In particular the front fork has rebound on one side and compression on the other.

Its funny the next article was on the new Ducati Monster and they loved the way the engine wailed once you got over 6,000 rpm.

Go figure.

Glenn
I gave up my subscription to M/C when they gave 1998 Bike of the Year to the VFR 800 instead of the R1. I thought that showed they may have a thorn in their arse with Yams. Remember the first year shootout between the FJR and the ST1300? M/C picked the Honda and was the only magazine that complained that the FJR fairing banged into the riders' shins. I don't recall reading another report anywhere with that complaint. The very next year (maybe the next 2?), they picked the FJR as sport tourer of the year and made no mention of the fairing and shin banging even though the fairing was unchanged. I don't get those guys sometimes. Anyway, it's just a test. I will say that this new R1 engine isn't anywhere near the midrange monster my '98 was and I bet the new FZ1 power curve may be a bit more top heavy as well.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Mack thats basically what they said. The FZ1 comes with 150 hp and 78 lbs ft of torque IIRC. I would be willng to have 130 hp and 95n lbs ft of torque at 2500 rpm. If thats pssible. I don't understand the mechanics of all that stuff, but it seems real world riding is better with higher torque values at lower rpm's.

Glenn

Now track riding is a different animal, correct?

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I think a little softer midrange is nice, for someone of my modest track skills.

In some technical corners, I'll use a higher gear to help me roll-on more smoothly, but in a 'bus stop' corner, I'll go in ready to bash the exit with 8 grand or so.

A softer midrange on the street isn't bad either, IMHO... use the left side of the tach for cruising, and the right side of the tack for 'attack mode.'

I'm assuming the FZ1 shares the R1's 'hold-you-stiff' GO from 6500 - 13,500... almost the entire width of the FJR's tach... and very tame, easy torque from 3000 - 6000... so it's like having two motors in one.

('course, when they ripped the last 2-stroke out of my hands, I was still enjoying them, so don't take MY word for it. LOL)

My twin bagger has lots of torque down low, but it also has a lot of engine braking. Roll-on feels more immediate, less progressive. Could that be why I've watched from behind as two different twins low sided at corner exits at different tracks on different days? (One RC51 and one Aprilia Mille) I think so, because I was riding right behind each of them, and they weren't going THAT fast.

I'm betting with an FZ1 on the street... you won't have very long to notice a tame midrange, because it doesn't take long to whistle right past it. :mrgreen:

:)

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
gr8eyes said:
I just got thru reading the article in Motorcyclist on the FZ1. They were a bit dissappointed in the engine. Evidently it has to be rev'd to 6,000rpm before the power gets real good. They would like more torque down low.

Sounds like one of the reasons I dropped Motocyclist several years ago.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
so it's like having two motors in one.
Kevin Cameron wrote a nice piece about that very thing several years ago. Since all you're doing is constantly managing grip, a more useable powerband on the track is one that allows you to feed in as much as hp as the tire can stand at a given lean angle. If you have a powerband that just "turns on" all of a sudden, whether in the low, mid or high rpm range, all sorts of nasty surprises can catch you out. I think that's why 600's are such good track bikes. They have nowhere near the hp hit of the literbikes and can better manage lean/grip situation without suddenly overwhelming DOT tires. Full on race rubber is required to tame all the grip issues of literbike tires at full hp.

Once you've owned a bike for awhile and know the powerband, I think the grip thing is manageable on just about any bike.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Well, my FZ1 came in today and I went to go pick it up. Unfortunately, I didnt bring it home, having never sat on one and putting a deposit down based on anticipation of major improvements over the '05. The bike is very nice to look at and of high build quality, but there is no way I could spend more than 15 minutes on the thing. The pegs are just far to close to the sitting position and it would play hell on my knees. Also, the seat is abysmal. I have plenty of tolerance for a firm seat if it is well designed, but this thing is a joke. It would kill the inside of my thighs in no time at all. Yamaha did nice things with the frame, suspension, brakes, and bringing fuel injection to the Fazer, but you have to want to stay on the thing to enjoy all that. Too bad since I was really looking forward to a light, responsive alternative when leaving the feejer at home for the afternoon. Oh well, saved me $9000 anyway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the great review. I was seriously considering purchasing one and now that I have read over what you have to say I am really glad i went with the 06 FJR instead.

·
Registered
531 Posts
number2 said:
Hey that's why they make farkles :D
Yeah, but this is a bit more than just slapping a new seat on there. The appeal of the FZ WAS near-R1 performance but with greater comfort. The new '06 ergos have turned it into an R1 without a fairing, not really what I had in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts