FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Been using this site (and others) as a source of information for several months while I was making up my mind. I have always had a bike except the last 10 years (late 50's now, but mentally still 22). Always had crotch rockets but I always wanted a touring/comfortable bike too. I love a good twisting road but I also enjoy just taking it all in with the wind in my face on a nice day. I won't bore you with why I chose the FJR, you already know.

I just bought a new 2021 FJR1300ES. I really like it! I knew and know what I am getting into based on a lot of info gleaned from here and other places but I'm always ready to be re-educated. I already made a wish list and also a 'get it ASAP' list. Here is where I am at:

Get ASAP:
  • 21 FJR1300ES...check (600 mile service this week)
  • T-Rex Crash cages. Got the combo (axle, engine, panniers)...check
  • Ordered 2 Townsends Helmet Lock brackets with outlet and the locks (next week check)
  • Helmet (SHOEI RF1400)...check
  • Cardo Bold...check
  • I got fatter the last 10 years. My gear is a bit tight if you know what I mean. Need a new jacket, pants, gloves, and boots...check.
  • Loose this weight and buy better than 'good enough for now' gear...move this to wish list for this winter
  • Darn this seat is uncomfortable (for me), I will give it 2k miles for break in

Wish List
  • The Yamaha Touring windshield. Yep I'm 6'1" and stock ain't cutt'n it.
  • Fuse block (Eastern Beaver looks like a good fit)...this winter
  • Garmin Zumo XT...this winter
  • Make GPS mount decision...this winter
  • PIAA Sport Horns...this winter
  • Powerlet/BMW sockets and plugs for SAE (dealer installed a loose SAE, but I'm going to redo this), USB, and possibly coxial...this winter
  • Yamaha Rear mount and Top Box...?
That's enough money for the first year...right? ;) :unsure: Yes I'm single, I can get away with this for now!

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,820 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Not on your list- add blue locktite to the saddlebag lock mounting screws. They tend to fall out of you don't! The dealer is supposed to do it but they rarely do.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
385 Posts
Welcome! Also missing: remove the FJR logos on the side cases, and put them back with proper glue. They tend to fall off - not expensive but something like $10-20 per piece...

·
Registered
2021 FJR
147 Posts
Welcome. I returned to riding after a 37-year break when I bought by 2021 FJR last April. I added the T-Rex bars and sliders right away. For the seat I got an AirHawk pad and it works great. I added a MadDog small tank bag that works great and was only $30. I built a cable that goes from the SAE connector into the tank bag with a dual USB thing on the end. I have a Shoei GT-Air-II with a Cardo PackTalk Bold. I’ve bought an assortment of gear to wear and a friend sent me his hardly worn 1986 Bates leathers.

I did the proper break in and when I hit 1,000 miles I did more long days around here, Eastern Montana. I’ve been up to the Beartooth Pass 4 times and did the Chief Joseph/Beartother loop a couple times. When the odometer read 4,409 I took off on a long trip, Montana to Maine and back, all on backroads, camping, 6,658 miles. The bike ran great and that AirHawk pad is great. Averaged about 400 miles/day but the longest was 584 miles.

During the first couple months I owned the bike I also lost about 15-20 pounds so that lightened up the top heaviness.

I absolutely love getting back to long distance riding and this bike has proved just the tool for me.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome and congrats! Not on your list- add blue locktite to the saddlebag lock mounting screws. They tend to fall out of you don't! The dealer is supposed to do it but they rarely do.
You will need a T10 Security Torx bit (Harbor Freight for about $6).

And if you are going to change the oil yourself: the specs in the FSM for the engine oil drain bolt are 31 lb-ft. That is too high. Specs for the final drive drain bolt is 17 lb-ft (same size bolt in the same type of aluminum casting. At the higher figure, you run the risk of stripping the bottom of the crankcase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the reminder! I did know about this after having read it on here somewhere but forgot it on my list (my own list lol).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! Also missing: remove the FJR logos on the side cases, and put them back with proper glue. They tend to fall off - not expensive but something like $10-20 per piece...
Well that's depressing lol I hadn't heard this one yet, thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome. I returned to riding after a 37-year break when I bought by 2021 FJR last April. I added the T-Rex bars and sliders right away. For the seat I got an AirHawk pad and it works great. I added a MadDog small tank bag that works great and was only $30. I built a cable that goes from the SAE connector into the tank bag with a dual USB thing on the end. I have a Shoei GT-Air-II with a Cardo PackTalk Bold. I’ve bought an assortment of gear to wear and a friend sent me his hardly worn 1986 Bates leathers.

I did the proper break in and when I hit 1,000 miles I did more long days around here, Eastern Montana. I’ve been up to the Beartooth Pass 4 times and did the Chief Joseph/Beartother loop a couple times. When the odometer read 4,409 I took off on a long trip, Montana to Maine and back, all on backroads, camping, 6,658 miles. The bike ran great and that AirHawk pad is great. Averaged about 400 miles/day but the longest was 584 miles.

During the first couple months I owned the bike I also lost about 15-20 pounds so that lightened up the top heaviness.

I absolutely love getting back to long distance riding and this bike has proved just the tool for me.
I'm not sure I could ever handle a 6k+ trip, certainly not on this seat. Back in the day the longest I ever did was 1,200 miles 1 way over 2.5 days on a crotch rocket. Not fun, well the coast hwy part (101) from NW Oregon to San Francisco in summertime was the best ride I have ever done!! If we stayed on 101 it would have been another 2 days to San Diego. We jumped over to I-5 from Frisco and did it in 12hrs. But the destination (San Diego) was a blast for 2 weeks. I am more a 2-3 day weekender trip probably at the most....I think

I just had the 600 mile service done yesterday, I now have 744 miles on it. Nothing but back roads so far so I can keep changing up my speed without ticking people off behind me ;) Most I've done so far is 170 miles in 1 ride. I'm getting there!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

You will need a T10 Security Torx bit (Harbor Freight for about $6).

And if you are going to change the oil yourself: the specs in the FSM for the engine oil drain bolt are 31 lb-ft. That is too high. Specs for the final drive drain bolt is 17 lb-ft (same size bolt in the same type of aluminum casting. At the higher figure, you run the risk of stripping the bottom of the crankcase.
Hmmm good to know. I think I knew about the Final drive at 17lbs but don't remember the 37lbs on the engine oil. I had the dealer do the 600 miles service yesterday so good to know as I do most services between now and 16k :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts