FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang! Has anyone gone from a gen2 FJR to a gen 3 ?? I’m looking to buy a new one I have a 2010 love it it’s perfect, I want to know if the new upgrades like 6th gear and electronic suspension plus others are worth shelling out 18k my bike has 75,000 and will probably reach 100,000 this summer haven’t had any issues with it should I just ride it into the ground??!

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
229 Posts
Only you can really answer that, but IMO, when I was looking to buy a FJR back in 2016, I decided on the Gen 3 (or technically 3.5). The few things that were different from the Gen 2 to 3 make it worth while for me. That again, was just for me, you may be different.

Not sure why you said you'd have to shell out 18k. Sell your Gen 2 and buy a Gen 3. Gen 3's new were only $19k new. Even the 2022's are still only $20k I believe. I'm in Canada for $$ reference.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
the used market is pretty good, and begining of ridding season, so you should get some decent money for your '10.

I had '05 and now "17ES that I bought new out of the crate, there is something satisfactory about buying brand new, and piece of mind you are the first from day one.

Old FJR's were "good", new FJR's are "great" (but not day-and-night difference)

Personally I love the ES, all LED's lights are excellent (keep in mind they are not owner serviceable)

...6th gear is OK and almost wasn't needed, considering FJR smooth power band, bike will do "ALL the work needed" in and around 4-5000rpm's effortlessly, 6th gear made a small drop in hwy rpm's (yesterday I made a note; 3000rpm's, 6th gear, flat road, 110kph (68mph) ...redline is at 9000rpm's

...cornering lights are underwhelming, they should have been much, much brighter

good luck with your shopping (y) and report back with pictures

·
Registered
144 Posts
Personal decision. You can happily ride your current FJR for quite a while. But Yamaha has increased the refinement of the FJR for each successive generation. I still have an FJR from each generation: an '04, an '09, a '13, '14 ES, and a '17 ES. I love them all! I do have mixed feelings about the 6-speed as I am not a huge fan of the shift quality but the other improvements like the slipper clutch and LED lighting are sweet. My advice to anyone considering buying an FJR for the first time would be to buy used and find a low mile 2013+ FJR. The gauges, cruise control, suspension, and Electronic suspension are big enough reasons to go with a '13+. I realize you are not a first time FJR buyer, but that advice still applies to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only you can really answer that, but IMO, when I was looking to buy a FJR back in 2016, I decided on the Gen 3 (or technically 3.5). The few things that were different from the Gen 2 to 3 make it worth while for me. That again, was just for me, you may be different.

Not sure why you said you'd have to shell out 18k. Sell your Gen 2 and buy a Gen 3. Gen 3's new were only $19k new. Even the 2022's are still only $20k I believe. I'm in Canada for $$ reference.
Personal decision. You can happily ride your current FJR for quite a while. But Yamaha has increased the refinement of the FJR for each successive generation. I still have an FJR from each generation: an '04, an '09, a '13, '14 ES, and a '17 ES. I love them all! I do have mixed feelings about the 6-speed as I am not a huge fan of the shift quality but the other improvements like the slipper clutch and LED lighting are sweet. My advice to anyone considering buying an FJR for the first time would be to buy used and find a low mile 2013+ FJR. The gauges, cruise control, suspension, and Electronic suspension are big enough reasons to go with a '13+. I realize you are not a first time FJR buyer, but that advice still applies to you.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
...6th gear is OK and almost wasn't needed, considering FJR smooth power band, bike will do "ALL the work needed" in and around 4-5000rpm's effortlessly, 6th gear made a small drop in hwy rpm's (yesterday I made a note; 3000rpm's, 6th gear, flat road, 110kph (68mph) ...redline is at 9000rpm's
What in the world are you doing in 6th gear at 68mph, thats almost bogging the FJR.
I'm normally cruising in 4th at that speed and maybe shift into 5th if I feel like it.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What in the world are you doing in 6th gear at 68mph
...on a flat road the engine was perfectly happy at 3000 rpm's, and it will pull strong if needed.

If you are doing 68mph in 4th gear, you are probably revving at 4500 rpm's no need for that either. But it could also be because your '13 is only 5 gears, and my '17 bike have different gears ratios.

New Goldwing DCT is in 7th gear at 50mph and because of a wide power band (like FJR) there's no bogging of any kind.

according to this FJR chart, 2016's and up should be revving around 3100 rpm's in 6th gear doing about 65mph, give or take, cause it depends on wind, rider weight, road surface, tires, windscreen etc etc
Font Line Material property Pattern Parallel

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Two words...... 5 speed.

·
Registered
2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
43 Posts
The added goodies on the gen III are something I appreciate. I sold my 2009 and got a 2016 ES for the Cruise, LED lighting and slipper clutch. I have come to appreciate the heated grips, electronically adjustable suspension and additional flexibility of the rider information display. The 6-speed isn't as smooth shifting as the 5-speed was and keeping track of the additional gear takes a bit of getting used to. The engine is slightly more relaxed cruising in 6th and running up through the gears, the RPMs drop off a little less with each shift; so there's that... You just have to weigh if it's worth it to you. It was for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My brother purchased a 2016 FJR from a private owner with 4K miles on it. Great bike but…the previous owner sent him the recall notice regarding the second gear issue and he has had a tough time getting a dealer to honor the recall. Something about getting reimbursed for the parts?

Did all newer FJRs have that recall?

Great flat blue color and lots of newer gadgets compared to my 2009.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Authorized Yamaha Dealer is obligated to perform Yamaha recall (all paid by Yamaha)...your brother should check Yamaha website for VIN number, to see if it needs to be done, and then call Yamaha US and provide dealer contact info.

more info here:

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,422 Posts
My brother purchased a 2016 FJR from a private owner with 4K miles on it. Great bike but…the previous owner sent him the recall notice regarding the second gear issue and he has had a tough time getting a dealer to honor the recall. Something about getting reimbursed for the parts?

Did all newer FJRs have that recall?
Extensive thread here -> 2016/2020 2 nd gear recall including where to go/who to contact about recall details.

Great flat blue color and lots of newer gadgets compared to my 2009.
Are you in the USA? Matte color didn't start until 2018 yet you say he has a 2016. Might want to compare VIN with an online decoder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What in the world are you doing in 6th gear at 68mph, thats almost bogging the FJR.
I'm normally cruising in 4th at that speed and maybe shift into 5th if I feel like it.
I don’t sit at 60, normal cruising is 85 just know that’s how long the 5th gears band is no need for a 6th gear in my opinion but I haven’t ridden the gen 3 yet

·
Registered
8 Posts
Authorized Yamaha Dealer is obligated to perform Yamaha recall (all paid by Yamaha)...your brother should check Yamaha website for VIN number, to see if it needs to be done, and then call Yamaha US and provide dealer contact info.

more info here:
Thanks for the comment - I'll see if he has one that for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Buy the new one if you want cruise and an updated bike. If not your old one will last you forever. Six speed is nice but not necessary. As for speed/rpm FJR is happy doing 20mph in 5th gear or 50mph in 2d gear. It just doesn't matter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Buy the new one if you want cruise and an updated bike. If not your old one will last you forever. Six speed is nice but not necessary. As for speed/rpm FJR is happy doing 20mph in 5th gear or 50mph in 2d gear. It just doesn't matter
That’s what I’ve thinking, I was a diehard Harley guy for 20 years and got fed up with break downs on almost every road trip once you put 70,000 on them my FJR has been unbelievable I may never own a different motorcycle thanks for your opinion

·
Registered
874 Posts
That’s what I’ve thinking, I was a diehard Harley guy for 20 years and got fed up with break downs on almost every road trip once you put 70,000 on them my FJR has been unbelievable I may never own a different motorcycle thanks for your opinion
I know I've posted this before but it seems appropriate. When I was considering an FJR I did a group ride and 2 people were on FJRs. I was talking to one of them and asked if she had any problems with the bike. Iy was an older FJR and looked to have been ridden. To my surprise she said yes she had had a problem. I asked what kind of problems. She said the water pump needed to be replaced at 225,000 miles. I said I hardly considered that a problem. Her reply, "well he has 300,000 on his and his is still good." Enough said about the longevity of an FJR

1 - 20 of 27 Posts