FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I just got my 2009 black FJR this weekend.
I live in Palatine, just 35mi NW from Chicago, but I came to the US from Poland where I was riding a bike until I was 23. After over 25 years of being off the bike, I started riding again a couple of years ago. I would greatly appreciate some advice regarding the bike, but also nice rides around my area. I hope to meet you on the road. Below is my new bike and also the "his and hers" photo....

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

Advice? The screws holding the saddlebag locks to the cases: The dealers was supposed to Locktite them in place. I'd take a few minutes to check. You will need a T10 Security Torx bit and some blue Locktite. If you do not have one, Harbor Freight sells a set of security bits for about $7.

The torque specs for the engine oil drain bolt is too high. The "book" says 31 lb-ft. That tight and you risk stripping the bolt out. The specs of the final drive drain bolt (same size bolt into the same kind of aluminum cast is 17 lb-ft, a more reasonable figure.

Specs for the nut securing the rear axle is 90 lb-ft. 75 lb-ft is more reasonable.

Tire pressures: Many of us, by experiment, are running around 40FR/42RR. Book says 36 PSI front. I think 36 PSI leads to excessive cupping on the front.
Thank you John.
On one hand, I hate I bought it just now and the weather here is not really allowing for any more rides this season, but on the other hand now I have the whole winter to check and fix things like that. Thank you for the advice - I will make sure to check these and torque to the specs.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the area. I live in nearby Glen Ellyn. We'll need to meet up for a ride. Let me know if you get adventurous over winter when streets are dry. I may want to join you for a winter run.

Also, I highly recommend getting a Cardo Packtalk for your helmet so you can listen to FM radio, listen to music/audio from your phone, hear your GPS, and talk to other riders for intercom. A riding buddy and I bought a 2 pack recently and they can join 15 or more riders. They are very nice indeed.
Sounds good ChrstphrM, I'll give you a shout. Not sure about winter but it is definitely a great idea for next season. Aso for the intercom I already have a Sena S20, but I believe it is able to connect to other brands as well.
I am looking forward to ride along.

·
Registered
2009 FJR1300
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the horde, RafalB! Be among friends! "Witaj przyjacielu!"

Yes, Yes, and Yes! That bike is amazing!!! Good choice! Love the Onyx!!

I spent some time in Hoffman Estates...

Now go into town and get some perogies! "Smacznego!"
Hello skippy344!
Next time you are in the neighborhood let me know. We will do "Polish restaurants run" together ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts