FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just purchased a 2007 FJR and I really enjoy the bike. However, when I'm going through a corner, I notice that the backend feels a bit squirrely. It happens just enough to make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like it wants to lose traction. The tires and pressure are fine and I don't see any mechanical issues.

I have ridden a Honda 750 nighthawk for years now, and I'm wondering if it is just the power on the new bike that I'm not used to when I roll on the throttle.

Has anyone else experienced this when new to the bike?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hi All,
I just purchased a 2007 FJR and I really enjoy the bike. However, when I'm going through a corner, I notice that the backend feels a bit squirrely. It happens just enough to make me feel uncomfortable. It feels like it wants to lose traction. The tires and pressure are fine and I don't see any mechanical issues. I have ridden a Honda 750 nighthawk for years now, and I'm wondering if it is just the power on the new bike that I'm not used to when I roll on the throttle. Has anyone else experienced this when new to the bike? Thanks a bunch!
Bob,

The FJR is one strong bike. I consider some tires as "parade-duty" only, but not good choices for the best handling. Age can harden any brand of tire, too, making it "uncertain" in the turns. Tread depth means nothing, on an old tire. Check the age of ANY tires in the USA . . . click the link and scroll down:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

The 2007 FJR (in particular) came with an "abrupt" throttle response, more Off/On than some riders like. The best possible fix for that, if it is a problem to you, is to have the ECU re-flashed by Ivan's Performance in Georgia. Mail Ivan an ECU, and you get it back far better than stock. Alternately, you can purchase the same ECU (by Part Number) that you have now, send that one off, and just swap in the "new" module when done.

That said, you have the BEST color that Yamaha ever put on the FJRs. I think you're gonna like that bike, a lot.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,269 Posts
Hunnert bucks says your rebound damping on that undersprung shock is set at Yamaha "standard" settings....... dial that rebound adjuster in full then back out 7-8 clicks, tweak from there based on riding experience.
I'd be interested in what tire you have and pressures also, front and rear. As well, tell us where your fork spring preload is and damping settings, what you weigh.

·
Registered
300 Posts
For kicks, how many miles on your bike, Bob ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts