FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new AE (computer clutch) on June 12 and have amassed my first 500 miles. In short, I am very pleased with the FJR in general and VERY glad I chose the AE version. I did so as I have early onset Parkinsons disease and thought the removal of clutch duties would be helpful. I have had 4 bikes; a Honda 350; Honda 500 - 4; Honda Sabre 45 and a Kawasaki KZ1000. The FJR is a new league intirely!

Positives: The engine is a smooth powerhouse with enough bottom end torque to make 2 up riding effortless. Handling is just short of recent sport bikes and way out in front of other long distance mile muchers. Now here is some heresy - the weight is PERFECT! No, it won't do switchbacks like a GSX 600. Let's face it, a 600+ lb is just not going to be as "flickable" as a sub 400 lb machine. But a good rider won't be far behind. But you wouldn't give up an LB on a long interstate haul and in heavy crosswinds the FJR is a rock. I'd be all over the place in the KZ. The electric shift can be made to be imperceptable up AND down the gear range. Downshift transitions on long sweepers is incredible - smoother than I can do on my own for sure once you learn to hit the down lever instead of the horn! The improved heat dissipation is great even here in central Fla EXCEPT on I4 in bumper to bumper traffic when the cooling fans are running. The instant MPG reading is worth every penny for the frugal (me) minded. It is sensitive enough to discern riding position, incline and windshield heigth. Here are some figures. I will be tweaking these as break in continues.
5th Gear - Windscreen in full UP position
55mph = 60 mpg
60mph = 58 mpg
65mph = 54 mpg
70mph = 51 mph
75mph = 49 mpg
80mph = 46 mpg
85mph = 43 mpg
You can add 2-3 mpg by lowering the shield and crouching in the "bubble."
Not bad for a 1300 powerhouse that can out roll-on allmost anything except a recent liter bike! I also have a spreadsheet on all the speeds in gears for those technicrats like myself who might be interested.

DISLIKES - wind shield is a bit flimsy at high speed. Torque would allow a 6 speed trans. Yam is probably holding out on this to have something to talk about/trade up to - down the road. If you stop in 4th gear the clutch will work but the system gets confused on how to get back down to 1st. It takes a throttle - shift dance to step back down the range. Better to do diligence in downshifting properly. Selecting 1st causes an unelegant "klunk" to let you and those around you know you are about to launch. No sneaking away on this one!

In conclusion (for now) I am ESTATIC! I think Yamaha has done their homework on the AE shifter and I expect to see competition coming from all sides. The gauntlet has been thrown down and cannot be ignored.

Looking forward to your comments,
John A..

·
Registered
18 Posts
New FJR AE

HI John, Great to hear you love the AE version so much I recently bought the standard version and likewise are very pleased. Maybe when I trade up in a couple of years I will move to the AE. As an aside as I have not seen the AE can tou tell me where the Heated Grips switches are located.

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using grip warmers in Florida??

FJR Beast,

Are we having fun or what! The handgrip control is located just below the glove box on the left side of the fairing. Being a FL resident, I did not anticipate using this feature. I was wrong. Two nights ago, out of curiosity I turned them on to see how hot they really got. I was surprised to find that they not only warm your hands . . . they help keep the circulation moving, preventing fatigue on the throttle grip. A pleasant surprise.

Cheers,
John

·
Registered
949 Posts
Congratulations on your latest acquisition and also on the positive approach to Parkinsons. I understand it is important to remain as physically active and engaged as possible with this condition. I hope the bike brings you and your partner much pleasure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New FJR AE

Thanks John. Appreciate the feedback. I have a blank on that part of the fairing so I now know what goes there. Currently looking at an aftermarket version of the heated grips as a genuine part is about 4 times more expensive.
Good to hear it helps with the circulation.
Cheers
:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
John, good luck with the new FJR. You , as I, will find some great info here.

I will be moving from NJ to central Fl in the fall. Maybe I'll see you on the road.

(and by the way, have been stuck in stop and go on I 4 out of Orlando many times myself)

·
Registered
531 Posts
That is some incredible fuel mileage. I average about 38 MPG on my '05 at 70-80 MPH and have NEVER seen more than 42 MPG per tankfull. But I have the CeeBailey +4,+2 screen usually about 1/4 up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FJR Gas milage

Eric,

You're right, it is! The one factor I neglected to monitor was the wind - speed & direction. I was traveling South on I95 and in checking the weather on that day the wind was reported from the North. So much for emphirical data. I am going to try it again but this time I will go both directions and give both results.

Lentz,

Thanks for the thoughts . . .

Cheers,
John A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts