FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've installed the new corbin for the 06. Nice, very comfortable. I wasn't a fan of the std seat. The corbin is very different, expensive, but a lot better, so far.

g

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed the 06 saddle and smuggler. The saddle is contoured and firm, very cumfortable and allows for 1 to 1-1/2 hour rides between stops. I recomend the seat. The Smuggler fits great, looks cool, and has enough room for a day trip stuff. The down side is that the finish is poor. The paint matches but the surface is covered with blisters. For $700 + I would think that Corbin would include quality assurance prior to shipment.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Ranger Dave said:
The saddle is contoured and firm, very cumfortable and allows for 1 to 1-1/2 hour rides between stops.
I must have bigger butt calouses. I can get 2~3 hours non-stop no problem from the stocker. Oh well, different strokes.....

I would send the smuggler back though. That looks like a very handy piece of luggage and for the price Corbin charges, the finish should be perfect.

·
Registered
250 Posts
gski02 said:
I've installed the new corbin for the 06. Nice, very comfortable. I wasn't a fan of the std seat. The corbin is very different, expensive, but a lot better, so far and Ranger Dave.....
g
Does the Corbin seat reduce the reach to the ground? I'm 5'7" and wouldn't mind getting off my tip toes? Also -- can you`feel`any difference in your knees --- are they more cramped? How tall are you guys?

I'm thinking of ordering the smuggler in gray to match the lower fairing next ot the seat.

thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just installed the Corbin seat and Smuggler for my 06 FJR.

Finish on the Smuggler is nearly perfect (very small nick, hardly noticeable), and the paint is a perfect match. Quite a bit of space in the Smuggler, and looks amazing on the FJR (just like it came from the factory that way).

The seat feels great - but pretty tight to install. I still need to fiddle with the latch a bit as well to ensure it locks down properly (mentioned in Corbin's instructions that might be necessary.

Overall, an expensive bit of kit, but having loved the Corbin I had for my FJ12 before I'm looking forward to riding on this seat vs. the stock.

·
Registered
250 Posts
bdueck said:
Just installed the Corbin seat and Smuggler for my 06 FJR.

Finish on the Smuggler is nearly perfect (very small nick, hardly noticeable), and the paint is a perfect match. Quite a bit of space in the Smuggler, and looks amazing on the FJR (just like it came from the factory that way).

The seat feels great - but pretty tight to install. I still need to fiddle with the latch a bit as well to ensure it locks down properly (mentioned in Corbin's instructions that might be necessary.

Overall, an expensive bit of kit, but having loved the Corbin I had for my FJ12 before I'm looking forward to riding on this seat vs. the stock.
Did the Corbin saddle reduce the reach the ground?

·
Super Moderator
3,957 Posts
All that money spent and all you can get is ~3 hours or less seat time? And it's uncomrfortable at all in anything less than tank-to-tank-to-tank days (day after day)?

Odd... But I guess that's the difference between an(other) off-the-rack seat compared to a custom one. :ale:

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Bounce - Corbin buyers don't ride like we do my friend. Nothing wrong with that. but it's a whole different world for them.

Just an aside for this thread, if you want lower seat height, you're most likely not going to get it from a off the shelf seat. You will do better, at less cost in some cases, by going to a custom seat maker like Rich's in Seattle, Russell in NorCal or the Mayer brothers. For that matter, check locally, you may find there are some seat gurus near you that have good reputations.

Perspective - I never found my stock '04 seat comfortable for over 600 miles a day. It was fine up to that point, just not beyond it. My current Russell custom seat is good for any amount of miles in a 24 hr period, and for day after day after day if need be. It's not uncommon for me to ride 8 hours, get gas, then ride for another 8 hours before getting off the bike. This is not uncomfortable, in fact I enjoy the ability to cover ground and see things all day in this manner.

From this standpoint, someone telling me their Corbin is good for 1-1 1/2 hours between stops makes me think the Corbin is an overpriced POS not worthy of any consideration. :D (FYI- My russell only cost $325)

Now if 1.5 hours is your average ride length, and you're not comfortable on the stock seat for that long, well then, it could be all the difference you need for your comfort.

Some people, (mostly Corbin buyers?), don't care for the look of the Russell. Your butt doesn't know what it looks like. :shock: That said, if you're a sport bike hoon that hangs off on your FJR, be careful about what custom seat you decide on, some don't easily allow that type of movement. 8)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote "It's not uncommon for me to ride 8 hours, get gas, then ride for another 8 hours before getting off the bike"

Humm - my bike does 250 miles on a tankful - so you take 8 hours to do 250 miles - where do you ride that you average 30 mph ??? :D :crylarf:

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
The point was that he was on the bike for 8 hours and had only gone 250 miles (max). Me, I can do that in 3-4 hours if I get the right roads (or 2.5 hours if I am abroad)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try checking who said what again Alan. :lol:

You said 250 miles in 8 hours. That was an incorrect assumption on your part. Not everyone limits themselves to the stock tank.

The point is a proper custom seat will be comfortable all day. I'm not suggesting speed has anything to do with this topic. I cover 500 miles in 8 hours at a fairly relaxed pace, I just don't stop to smell the roses. It's not everyone's idea of fun travel, but if you have to get off the bike after only 1-2 hours because your butt hurts, that's not good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
petercwelch said:
Anyone installed the new Corbin for the 06? If so, how is it, lower? comfortable? width?
I like the Corbin,It's lower than the stock seat and comfortable for me and my SO.. :D

Ed

·
Registered
632 Posts
ocfjr said:
Try checking who said what again Alan. :lol:

You said 250 miles in 8 hours. That was an incorrect assumption on your part. Not everyone limits themselves to the stock tank.

The point is a proper custom seat will be comfortable all day. I'm not suggesting speed has anything to do with this topic. I cover 500 miles in 8 hours at a fairly relaxed pace, I just don't stop to smell the roses. It's not everyone's idea of fun travel, but if you have to get off the bike after only 1-2 hours because your butt hurts, that's not good.
OK - point taken, I'll crawl back into my hole..... :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Say Ed, do you maintain the seat adjustability with the Corbin on the '06? I seem to recall reading that that is lost.

Nice to have some direct feedback from an '06 owner with a Corbin.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Geez, who would have thought people had such strong opinions over something as stupid as aftermarket motorcycle seats?

To each his/her own I say. I happen to like Corbins, and after putting 65,0000 km on my FJ12 with a Corbin, and a few 1,500 km days I know what works for me.

Others are of course free to go (or pay) their own way - I simply state that for me, Corbin makes a great product that works well for me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
bdueck said:
To each his/her own I say. I happen to like Corbins, and after putting 65,0000 km on my FJ12 with a Corbin, and a few 1,500 km days I know what works for me.

Others are of course free to go (or pay) their own way - I simply state that for me, Corbin makes a great product that works well for me.
How much you like it is, after all, the "bottom" line :crylarf:

I personally didn't like my old Corbin, I had expected something different. Lesson learned from that is to talk to the manufacturer about those expectations to see if their seat is the right one. My disappointment with the seat had nothing to do with its quality though, it was well made with good materials and finish.

·
Registered
23 Posts
vmaxed said:
petercwelch said:
Anyone installed the new Corbin for the 06? If so, how is it, lower? comfortable? width?
I like the Corbin,It's lower than the stock seat and comfortable for me and my SO.. :D

Ed
Hey Ed, how much lower if you know? Also, is the Corbin narrower than the stock seat?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts