FJR Owners Forum banner

New BMW K1200GT

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Tony 
#1 ·
Is this available anywhere yet, anyone test ridden?
Ok I know this is the FJR forum & after owning two FJR's to even use the BMW word is disloyal & I'll probably be thrown off the list - but this does look like a really nice if very expensive bike.
I'd mostly be interested in seat comfort, wind/weather protection & of course roll on speed in comparison to the FJR.
Also anyone know of a web site with the full specs? BMW site doesnt appear to have them on-line.
Sat on it at a bike show but of course that means very little.

#4 ·
There's a new BMW dealer opening in Dalkeith tomorrow. I got a letter from them telling me they'll have a barbeque, the Motorrad Central Girls, workshop demonstrations and prize draws. I'm sure there was something in there too that I had to tell as many people as possible to come along too! :lol:

#5 ·
#8 ·
No you're not wrong & yes the blue is the best of the bunch; it isnt the best looking bike when you are standing beside it, but can you see it from behind the bars? looks ok to me from that angle. As long as performance & weather protection are good then I must admit to not being so worried about how the bike looks to pedestrians.
Must get over to the dealer & book a test.

#9 ·
miguel21op said:
Maybe I'm the one who is wrong but the new BMW GT is one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen; and alive is worse (I saw two of them). Even the colors, except for the blue one, are horrible, IMHO. The engine looks superb, but this is not everything.
Its probably a very functional and capable bike but the highly visible styling on the "aeros" has all the appeal of a packing crate. The design team should be beaten with sticks until they cheer up !

#18 ·
Yesterday I visited a BMW dealer to view the 1200GT and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

I thought the bike looked good and that the fairing would suggest greater weather protection than the FJR, and how simple is the handlebar adjustment mechanism. Surprised that it had no headlight level mechanism unless the ESA compensates enough and the headlight bulbs look worse to change on the road than the FJR, why don't they make them easier to get at.

The only down sides I could see was the instrument panel, which didn't look too pleasing to the eye and the cost (yes a big issue), other than that it's thumbs up from me.

While I was there I also looked at the GS1200 adventurer, now that is a bike with presence, I would need a ladder just to get on the damn thing.

#19 ·
Well I went for the test ride today & what did I think? - well I bought one in Graphite (black to me) what more can I say :mrgreen:
Conditions for a test ride were to say the least not perfect today, along the A1-M being blown silly I didnt get the oppertunity to really let rip but I loved it!! Bike is very quick & the roll on speed certainly seems to match if not beat the FJR, as I say though conditions not really good enough to really open her up though.
One revelation was the seat, when you first sit on it, it feels very hard but after a couple of hours playing it was still suprisingly comfortable. I tested the bike with the "low" seat option which was fine, if anything even set to low it was still a little higher than the FJR, when I got back to the shop I also tried the standard seat, I couldnt tell the difference?? so on advice of the sales guy ordered the standard seat for the extra padding it has. I'm 5'10" with 30" in seam so reckon I probably fall in the middle anyways.
Again will the wind blowing all round today weather protection was hard to judge but I reckon it will be at the very least as good as the FJR.
What didnt I like:
Instrument panel looks very flimsy
Bloody BMW indicator switches!!
The price & that I couldnt talk myself a deal, I'm usually very good at that, but they appear to be having no trouble selling em!! still the sales guy in Balderstons did have the decency to not just laugh in my face while refusing any sort of discount.
Final thing I hated is June delivery!!!!! :(
On the plus side the FJR is going to my brother so I can still take her out if I get the urge - does that mean I can still be a member of the group or will I be chucked out as a traitor :? :wink:

#24 ·
Sherlock, I'll happily take the gorgeous Maria for a ride anytime!! show her how a "real" man rides :twisted: but lets get back talking bikes :wink:
This bloody bike is costing me a fortune, have you any idea how much BMW charge for a top box!!!!! :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.