FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks!
I just put a deposit down on a spankin' 2008 FJR, Mint condition, paid five Grand. It's out in Detroit, (I'm in New York), so I'll have to take a flight out to get it... then ride it back.

I've owned 26 motorcycles over 40 years. I have a lovely Bandit 1200, tastefully modded, with 165,000 miles on it, (yes I've rebuilt the motor myself - I was a Suzuki tech).. I've done a LOT of Touring on the Bandit, including two trips across the US... But I need a better rig for the Long Road.

I've looked at the FJR for years... liked it but have been put off by the WEIGHT. Anyway, I came across this crisp example and just had to pull the trigger!

My intention is to SPORT it up just a tad--- Most guys want more Upright; I want a LOWER lean. A German company makes a handlebar conversion kit... I expect to do a fender eliminator... and I don't plan on using the side cases on it much (that could change!).

QUESTION: I notice that some aftermarket exhausts will cause the bike to POP and spit on Decel... can't have that with any of my bikes... Can anyone recommend mufflers that will bring up the Sound without the Popping?

Ah! So! Happy to be here, and I expect you will see a few posts from me; I'm a big poster on other sites such as Bandit Forums, SV Riders (I have an SV1000S), and was a Homesteader on the old Cycle World forums.

SO... I'll be needing your help!!
:p

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Popping is usually caused by gas leaks at the joint between the cans and the headers. These joints should be sealed with the proper Yamaha soft metal seals as shown in the attached picture, items 7 & 10.. Get new seals when you fit the after market cans.

Reactions: 4day

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Also Ivan’s ECU reflash is supposed to eliminate it as well, I have Delkevics 18” carbon fiber cans on my 14 which gives it a deep report w/o being loud or droning at highway speeds. There’s a lot of cans available for the fjr, don’t expect a power bump from the exhaust, just nothing more than a louder report there, although Ivan claims a 10hp bump with good cans & a k+n filter.

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,457 Posts
The popping is unburned gasses getting burned in the exhaust.... of course it needs air, which the PAIR system is providing.. remove that. Residual popping is the hot cats finishing the job, should be minor.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
559 Posts
Welcome to the hoard, Greg!! LOVE your bikes!!

Many things you will have to do, and we will talk about them after you pick up that rocket!

Yes, do the PAIR removal, AND the Ivan's Mod on the ECU. I did and it transformed Orion!! ZERO popping on decel! Smooth off-idle throttle response, and it goes like greased lightning!

And we will need pics after you get it!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hi Folks!
I just put a deposit down on a spankin' 2008 FJR, Mint condition, paid five Grand. It's out in Detroit, (I'm in New York), so I'll have to take a flight out to get it... then ride it back.
My intention is to SPORT it up just a tad--- Most guys want more Upright; I want a LOWER lean. A German company makes a handlebar conversion kit... I expect to do a fender eliminator... and I don't plan on using the side cases on it much (that could change!). SO... I'll be needing your help!!
Greg,

Welcome to the sandbox! Pull up a seat, and be among friends . . .
ABM in England also makes a handlebar conversion kit for the FJR, which is much friendlier to your wallet.
Fender eliminator? If the rear fender, you will want to protect that expensive rear shock absorber from road grit and grime. If you mean the front fender, the FJR coolant radiator is downright delicate - most riders add a Cox radiator guard (or similar) to avoid an expen$ive repair there. I added a Cox radiator guard and a Fenda Extenda to my 2008.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey, THANKS for the welcome, Boys! I'm so excited at this new purchase... I'm losing sleep!
I still have to GET the bike; I picked it up off Craig's List in Detroit, so I need to arrange a flight/bus lines/Escape routes, etc. So.. right now, Details Details Details.

I'm an older (60) Sport rider... have owned 27 bikes, mostly large-bore... I do my homework and was a Suzuki tech in three shops, previously.

My Fantasy (at present) is to Sport the FJR up a tad. My concept:
  • DROP the bars in front a bit somehow. I want to be over the front end slightly (my venerable Bandit has Drag bars on it and I have done extensive touring with it like that, quite comfortably).
  • Front springs to match my weight
  • Tasty exhaust cans
  • Ivan's kit (is he still in business? His website was down last night). I'm an old acquaintance of Ivan, we lived in the same town up until he moved to S. Carolina... I knew him 30 years ago when he was a local Honda tech. I have a set of ONE OFF prototype carb needles from him, in my Bandit, that radically improved the fueling.
  • Adaptive TPX radar detector. I have one on both my other bikes and wouldn't leave the driveway without 'em.
  • A nice darkish shield... LOWER size; I would never want to ride looking through a screen. Not my style. (But who knows)
  • Tank protection... Grip Stomp.. Does anyone make a proper HALF BRA tank cover? (I have one on each of my other bikes)
  • Fender eliminator.. I do this to all my bikes, (vanity??).. I would buy a used back fender and cut-off the down-piece, put a slight, jaunty angle on the licence plate. I love the rear end lines on the FJR, and this would bring it out.
  • Eventually, a good rear shock, (if the OEM unit is anything less than stellar). My luck with aftermarket suspension has been Excellent!
  • I'm an Old School cafe racer...(some just say "old")... the idea of "SADDLE BAGS" is from another planet for me.. So my idea is to run the bike without them, (of course, that could change for big Touring). But I've been touring for many years with just a tank bag and a proper duffel bag strapped behind me, and I don't like the idea of anything diminishing my slipstream! ... or impede lane splitting... plus there's the Weight of the entire machine, which concerns me right now... this bike will be WAY over the heaviest ride I've ever had, (BMW k1300s)
so.. anyway... that should fulfill my FJR Fantasy!

·
Registered
539 Posts
For the short screen, this is the only one I was able to find - anywhere. One note is that they did not ramp the cutouts for the trim piece, so a little dremel work was needed to get it to fit. Took a while to get it shipped from the UK, but it was a decent enough piece.
Yamaha Fjr 1300 2006 -2012 Sports Screen,Made In Uk | eBay

That being said, at 6ft tall I am looking over even the Vstream screen I have for longer trips unless the windshield is at the top of its travel.

I'm doing the ABM conversion to tubular bars as well, but only so that I have better adjustability - the stock setup requires pretty specialized pieces and I find that guessing and buying isn't getting me where I want to be.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
559 Posts
They say our rear shock is under sprung.
I am looking at replacing mine with a 2013 or newer, as they are better sprung.
I did the R1 shifter mod, but have not tested it yet.
Your CCT should be OK, but I would verify it has a dot on it, otherwise it can fail and cause catastrophe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sport shield... oh YES, that one looks perfect... thanks!

Rear shock- I've had good luck with a HYPERPRO on my Bandit; they're not Ohlins pricey. My SV1000 has a Penske.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey, THANKS for the welcome, Boys! I'm so excited at this new purchase... I'm losing sleep!
I still have to GET the bike; I picked it up off Craig's List in Detroit, so I need to arrange a flight/bus lines/Escape routes, etc. So.. right now, Details Details Details.

I'm an older (60) Sport rider... have owned 27 bikes, mostly large-bore... I do my homework and was a Suzuki tech in three shops, previously.

My Fantasy (at present) is to Sport the FJR up a tad. My concept:
  • DROP the bars in front a bit somehow. I want to be over the front end slightly (my venerable Bandit has Drag bars on it and I have done extensive touring with it like that, quite comfortably).
  • Front springs to match my weight
  • Tasty exhaust cans
  • Ivan's kit (is he still in business? His website was down last night). I'm an old acquaintance of Ivan, we lived in the same town up until he moved to S. Carolina... I knew him 30 years ago when he was a local Honda tech. I have a set of ONE OFF prototype carb needles from him, in my Bandit, that radically improved the fueling.
  • Adaptive TPX radar detector. I have one on both my other bikes and wouldn't leave the driveway without 'em.
  • A nice darkish shield... LOWER size; I would never want to ride looking through a screen. Not my style. (But who knows)
  • Tank protection... Grip Stomp.. Does anyone make a proper HALF BRA tank cover? (I have one on each of my other bikes)
  • Fender eliminator.. I do this to all my bikes, (vanity??).. I would buy a used back fender and cut-off the down-piece, put a slight, jaunty angle on the licence plate. I love the rear end lines on the FJR, and this would bring it out.
  • Eventually, a good rear shock, (if the OEM unit is anything less than stellar). My luck with aftermarket suspension has been Excellent!
  • I'm an Old School cafe racer...(some just say "old")... the idea of "SADDLE BAGS" is from another planet for me.. So my idea is to run the bike without them, (of course, that could change for big Touring). But I've been touring for many years with just a tank bag and a proper duffel bag strapped behind me, and I don't like the idea of anything diminishing my slipstream! ... or impede lane splitting... plus there's the Weight of the entire machine, which concerns me right now... this bike will be WAY over the heaviest ride I've ever had, (BMW k1300s)
so.. anyway... that should fulfill my FJR Fantasy!
Hi mate, I have just got my first Fjr and have only been riding for 18 months, again the weight was my concern but to be fair it does not bother me at all now, I have just had mine in bits and carried out a 2 tone pearl paint job..here a re a couple of pics, look forward to seeing yours.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow... great looking bike, Mate! Thanks for posting...

I'm DIZZY, thinking about all the stuff I plan on doing to this new (2008) Fijjer, and I haven't even SEEN it in person yet.
As I said, my idea is to SPORT it up a little... maybe find a way to drop the bars slightly... Ivan re-Map... shortie dark shield... rear fender tail tidy / fender eliminator thing... Race-Tech front springs... radar connections.

EXHAUST CANS-
Which do you guys like? I see a lot of Delkevic's on FJR's online.... How about Black Widows? And how Short/Long? I want SOME noise, but not ear-shattering. 14"? 18"?

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,379 Posts
I find 14" delks painfully loud if earplugs are not used. And I'm about 25% deaf with constant ringing. I decided to not transfer them from the '07 to the '13.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So.... then, perhaps the 18" version... 1) will the bags still fit, and 2) are they significantly less noisy?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts