FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Just purchased a very clean 2006 AE with just 13700 miles on it. Seat, windscreen, and cruise have all been added after market! After getting a fresh oil change, final drive oil change, and new battery and about 300 miles on her I have one big question. Felt like $4,600 in these covid times was a pretty solid deal for what I got!

Are all the throttles this "snatchy" on FJR's? I've ridden a DCT africa twin for about a year, and I know the auto clutch is not going to be that refined, but it feels almost dangerously jerky at times. Anyway, I've ordered a throttle tamer and will try and install this weekend, but how much of a difference will that make?

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Looks like a beauty, can't believe that low mileage kind is still around.... kool.
'06-'07 were snatchy..... Ivan flash will fix it......
For now, throttle tamer ok, reduce throttle cable freeplay to near zero.

Reactions: Ice Patrol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good, I've looked a little into the flash but didn't realize it would make that big of a difference. I'll start with the tamer and some adjustments but sounds like a flash may be in order. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on your Awesome Yamaha Fjr1300AE.What I love about this Fjr is that the all around incredible looks of this bike is backed up by the great ride,handeling,S/T versatility,the power and the glory of that 147hp 4cy engine,and overall Quality/options that will not surpassed by most manufactures....And I am not saying that because I have one just like yours :giggle: . I suggest ridding the bike and get the feel of the throttle and Auto clutch.The auto clutch may take some getting used to. But it is an absolute joy to have this option on my Yamaha - and it is refined / smooth as butter .If you cannot come to terms with the throttle, then maybe Ivans Flash is for you..... Enjoy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
congrats, I have an ae as well. Although your mileage is low if clutch fluid (all fluids for that matter) has never been done with the age it would be a good idea, here is a post >>Auto clutch fluid change procedure
Yeah that will be on the to do list before next season. Clutch fluid and coolant. Anything else?

Congrats on your Awesome Yamaha Fjr1300AE.What I love about this Fjr is that the all around incredible looks of this bike is backed up by the great ride,handeling,S/T versatility,the power and the glory of that 147hp 4cy engine,and overall Quality/options that will not surpassed by most manufactures....And I am not saying that because I have one just like yours :giggle: . I suggest ridding the bike and get the feel of the throttle and Auto clutch.The auto clutch may take some getting used to. But it is an absolute joy to have this option on my Yamaha - and it is refined / smooth as butter .If you cannot come to terms with the throttle, then maybe Ivans Flash is for you..... Enjoy!
Yeah the handling really surprised me. Biggest bike I've owned yet, handles much better than the africa twin I owned which was impressive. getting to a 17" front wheel makes all the difference.

regarding the throttle, Its definitely my least favorite part of the bike. But I'll see how the throttle tamer changes things and after looking into Ivans flash more I think that will be in order over the winter.

Make sure the recalls are done using your VIN. Maybe including ground sysytem, ECU altitude fix, ignition switch. Maybe more.
Good idea, gonna check into that.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
I'll just toss in that you should check your cam chain tensioner that it has a blue or green paint dot on it. The originals were weak and a redesign took place in late 2007 and again later. A failing/weak CCT may or may not give any warning (cam chain rattle noises on the right side of the engine), and if it does fail, valve timing goes way off and valves hitting pistons is real bad........ If I had that bike, I'd be changing it asap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll just toss in that you should check your cam chain tensioner that it has a blue or green paint dot on it. The originals were weak and a redesign took place in late 2007 and again later. A failing/weak CCT may or may not give any warning (cam chain rattle noises on the right side of the engine), and if it does fail, valve timing goes way off and valves hitting pistons is real bad........ If I had that bike, I'd be changing it asap.
What is the significance of a blue or green paint dot?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
9,561 Posts
Ensures you have the latest design....... if you have no dot at all, it is the original weak design.
Part number 1MC-12210-00, Partzilla $102, get the gasket too.

When replacing, read up on various threads on how to do it, the important thing is to zip tie the cam chain at the lower crankshaft sprocket to preserve cam chain timing. Ask if you need to.

·
Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
507 Posts
Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on your new ride. 06s were known to be snatchy and the tamer was the common fix before Ivan but the AE requires retraining of the right hand in general since you don't have the ability to feather the clutch as it controlled by the computer. The good news is this is not that difficult and becomes second nature in no time. I don't know how it compares to the DCT as I have never tried one but I like being able to control shifting on my AE. I'm sure you'll love this bike. Enjoy! (y)

·
Registered
2007 FJR 1300 AE
5 Posts
Having about 3 months experience on a 2007 AE - I'd say give it some time to see if you get adjusted to the throttle opening. There's not much throttle rotation in which the clutch will slip but you can find it.

A trick I found that works for me is to leave it in 2nd gear at low speeds instead of downshifting to 1st. You'll have slightly lower RPMs for the same ground speed and it will essentially slip the clutch for you. When rolling up and slowing down behind stopped traffic, in 1st it disengages the clutch a fraction of a second later than I feel like it should, in 2nd the RPMs are lower and the clutch disengages sooner.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not to rush you, but if you wanna save about $35 bux or so, Ivan is having a 10% holiday sale beginning on Friday, the 26th for a month. Ivan's Performance Products

Had an '06 with a the standard clutch and his reflash made the bike wonderfully better. I loved his flash so much that I sold that bike and bought his personal 2016 that he used for the Gen III flashed bikes. Great dude...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts