FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can check out the new 2006 FJR1300 Handlebar Rises now offered by Doug Hines at the below link. Pics are of prototype but actual production run will be water jetted, CNC stuff to smooth edges and they will be powdercoated to match 06 handlebar paint. Plans to start shipping June 12th.

http://www.geocities.com/drhines/FJR1300Risers.html

·
Registered
632 Posts
They look very high.

Doug, do they move the bars back at all, or is it just straight up ?

One of the things I liked about the Heli's I had on my '04 model was the fact that they went back and up.

I see from your pics that the v2 ones do exactly that - I think that would be good for the '06 models too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, that extra 3/8" does make the risers look high. One reason is the contrast in color between the prototypes and the handlebars. Once they are powdercoated to match colors, yes they will still be just as high but I think they will look better and the height will not be as noticeable. I started out trying to make them 1" high like earlier model risers, but found this impossible to do with my expertise and maintain the Yamaha forward and rearward adjustable handlebar mechanism. I had to add the extra height to make the mounting system secure and safe. I could explain why but it would probably confuse you and me.

These risers are very comfortable at this height for me. To me and many others, the FJR is a very heavy steering bike. I think mostly due to the up high weight of gas tank, battery, etc combined with the narrow width of the handlebars. I know it sounds stupid to say this, but I think the bike steers easier now with the handlebar risers. I can't think of any physical reason for this - I think it is just that the handlebars are now at a height that I am use to pushing on them and feel more comfortable.

These risers go straight up and adds nothing to bringing the bars closer to the rider. You can only do the rearward movement with the Yamaha adjustment mechanism which is probably around a 1/2". For no more adjustment that you can get out of the Yamaha adjuster, I personally wished they had left the handlebars along.

I originally thought about making a riser that goes up and back like the Version 2 risers on my website. This can be done but I couldn't not figure out a way to cover up the unsightly mess that this would leave showing the socket head cap screw and the nut. Could use the 05 model chrome studs to cover cap screw but couldn't find anything to cover the nut.

I think I could build more variations to please more different people if I just ripped out Yamaha's adjustment system but didnt really want to go there. So for right now, what you see is what you get.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Ok - thanks for the answers.

Personally, I don't need the extra height - I would like more rearwards movements.

regards

Alan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I have just discovered my mistake that I can get a little over an inch movement rearward with the risers. If you mount risers and not snug them up, you can pull the handlebars rearward and then snug up. You can do this because the two handlebar mounting pins now go into the risers instead of the triple tree and the socket head screw mounting nut has play in it under the triple tree to allow this.

So you can get rearward movement of the handlebars, but it also makes the handlebar with slight narrower. Some may not light that. But in addition, you can push the bars outward and get a wider handlebar width but puts the bars slightly further away. Both ways seem comfortable to me and I have very short arms.

Doug Hines

·
Registered
632 Posts
Very interesting. Don't suppose you do a "try before you buy" (being optimistic) - it's a lot of cash to lay out if it doesn't work for me (I'm not sure if I do want the bars in more or not).

What do you mean by "snug them up" and what is the "triple tree" ?

Edit: I'll probably buy them - I'm sure I can pass them on if they aren't suitable for me. What's the process?

regards

Alan

·
Registered
426 Posts
A triple tree is the group of timbers that run between the horses of a team of six that pull a wagon or coach. Think of the hardware that the Clydesdales of the Budweiser wagon are harnessed to.

But in this case, I believe they are referring to the steering assembly on the bike that consists of the top plate, steering stem, and bottom plate. More of a double tree, actually, but it is a slang term that has been around since horses quit pulling plows and we started riding bikes.

The whole horse theme seems to be easily applied to our motorcycles with triple trees, saddles, saddlebags and such. Our engines are even rated in horsepower.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
'Triple tree' is the rather quaint Septic term for the yoke :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alan sh said:
Very interesting. Don't suppose you do a "try before you buy" (being optimistic) - it's a lot of cash to lay out if it doesn't work for me (I'm not sure if I do want the bars in more or not).

What do you mean by "snug them up" and what is the "triple tree" ?

Edit: I'll probably buy them - I'm sure I can pass them on if they aren't suitable for me. What's the process?

regards

Alan
The process for purchase is to go to the following link and full ordering info is there.

http://www.geocities.com/drhines/FJR1300Risers.html

·
Registered
632 Posts
OK - Thanks.

I'll probably leave it until July. You aren't starting production until June 12th and I am off on hols on the 17th - so I won't be able to try them until I get back.

But look for an order sometime then (unless you can get them to me early)

regards

Alan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Risers

Doug, (Corrected)
First let me thank you for getting something out there for 06 riders (with short arms) as an alternative to the stock bars.

My questions: How tall are you? What is your arm length?

Having viewed your pics and seating position on the bike, this might help me picture my seating position. I am 5'8" with an arm length of 22" from underarm to center of my palm.

Great job on your design and thanks again.

Thumper

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think you meant to ask these questions of Doug - not me....

Alan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks Alan

Yep, man I hate that when it happens! Thanks for the correction Alan!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Risers

Thump52 said:
Doug, (Corrected)
First let me thank you for getting something out there for 06 riders (with short arms) as an alternative to the stock bars.

My questions: How tall are you? What is your arm length?

Having viewed your pics and seating position on the bike, this might help me picture my seating position. I am 5'8" with an arm length of 22" from underarm to center of my palm.

Great job on your design and thanks again.

Thumper
I am 5' 6" tall. I have 26" inseam, and my measurement from underarm to center of my palm is 21 1/4".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just to give everyone a heads up, I will be on a motorcycle vacation in the Deals Gap area from June 3rd thru June 11th so if you email or call me during this time you will probably not get an answer. Sorry, but everyone has to have play time. I truly expected to have these risers done 3 weeks ago, but they are so much more complicated on the 06 version and they have been a royal pain in the arse.

I talked with machine shop this morning and have good news and bad news. Good news is that he is looking to have risers cut out by Fri, delivered for powder coating on Monday or Tuesday and should be able to make the June 12th finished product as planned. Bad news is that he is charging me twice what he was making my old version of risers for, so I will be eating a loss on these first 20 sets of risers but will still honor my quoted price. During my time on vacation I have a machinist looking for another machine shop to cut risers at a more reasonable price and hopefully will not have to go up on price. Time will tell.

I have 15 paid orders at this time.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Doug,

What is the new price ? I'm OK paying it (unless it's astonomical!!) but I'd like to know in advance

regards

Alan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Deals Gap

THanks for the measurments. It sounds like the risers will work for me with no problem.

Deals Gap? I am heading that way tonight on the bike. I will be riding through on my way up to Michigan. I wish I had those risers for the trip but I guess I will have to wait until I get back and order then.

Ride safe and watch for another 06 loaded down with my wife on her Buell Blast in riding along.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alan sh said:
Doug,

What is the new price ? I'm OK paying it (unless it's astonomical!!) but I'd like to know in advance

regards

Alan
I still have hopes of finding another machine shop and keeping the price the same which I think is plenty to spend on this item. I just never dreamed they would sock it to me this bad, I was expecting some increase due to thicker material and the two threaded studs which have to be precision made to work, but never more than double the cost. Will keep everyone advise and updated on website as soon as I get back from vacation. I now have 18 paid risers customers and will have to cut first run off at 20. I hate having to do business this way and I apologize.

Doug Hines

1 - 20 of 23 Posts