FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a beautiful sunny Saturday morning and I am off to test ride (and order - maybe, but if I do I will have to wait until Monday to collect the bike) the new Australian '06.

Last week when I was having my '01 serviced I found out something I didn't previously know, and until then there was no way I was going to exchange my black bike. We have the option of a high-compression motor with a 6-speed gearbox:

Compression is up to 11.8:1 (from the 'standard 10.8:1) and there is a 6, yes SIX speed gearbox option. Apparently, so says my dealer (who I know well enough to have the use of his personal FJR when mine is being serviced) these two options are being tested for market acceptance in limited bikes only in Australia.

The increased compression ratio improves low and mid-range torque, although crank HP is up only approx 5 to 150HP. He reckons there will be gains now through with airbox mods/breathing/exhaust mods, as this engine change opens the door for more improvements. He is aiming for 160/165 at the crank, but 135 to 140 at the rear wheel.

I can see myself on a Desert Sand FJR in the very near future.

·
Registered
737 Posts
David, will the rise of compression ratio require the use of higher octane fuel?
I hope we see these changes world wide for '07. :wink:

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Australians always get HOLIDAYS before the rest of us, don't they? ;)

:)

·
Registered
721 Posts
:crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Shame on you David, why couldn't you keep that information to yourself. I really and truely had convinced myself that I didn't need a new bike until 2007 or 2008.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, I think David caught some of us hook, line and sinker. :oops: :crylarf: :crylarf:

·
Registered
949 Posts
David that was very cruel - especially for those folks who can't get one of this limited edition - WHICH MEANS ALL OF US YA BASTARD !

Not that 'I' was sucked in though ......

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep! Hook line and sinker, you got me too.

I have been getting all excited about the new ZX14 and your post immediately had me thinking that I shouldnt be too hasty in moving away from the FJR.

:oops:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup. You had me dreaming of how I could trade in my '05 and get the more powerful '07. Ya' ba$tig. A nice ba$tig, but a ba$tig nevertheless. :mrgreen:

Ron

·
Registered
55 Posts
So hard living in Australia and sampling the new FJR is it n

Hello David ,
let us know how it goes with the new 2006 FJR test ride, I just bought a 6 months old 2005 model with 5,300klms and am hooked and already thinking of an update to the new and improved one in 2 yrs time, thats the plan any way by then we will have the even newer model before the rest of the world , so sad, not.
I am very curious to know how the higher compressioon engine goes as I run a set of Staintunes pipes on mine that were dynoed at 154HP with computer adjustments, goes like lightening compared to my old XJR1300 '04 which wasnt short of grunt itself.
Also interested to see if you think the 30mm adjustable side fairings actually work to reduce engine heat, and if the handling is affected much by the longer swing arm. 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts