FJR Owners Forum banner

Need YCCS electric clutch troubleshooting help

16K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  twowheels 
#1 ·
Hello. I just bought a 2008 AE model which was adult-owned for 67,000 miles. The electric clutch occasionally malfunctions, most often while downshifting from highway speeds on an exit ramp from 3rd to 2nd, but sometimes from 4th to 3rd always keeping the RPM between 3000-4500. The yellow shift light flickers briefly, goes solid and locks into whatever gear I'm in, forcing me to stall the bike to a stop while in gear. Error code Sh_51 is shown on the display. Turning the key off and on resets this and the transmission shifts normally again. This malfunction happens during about 1 out of 10 decelerations from 60mph to zero, but never when the engine is cold. I can put the bike on the center stand, start the engine, and shift through the gears non-stop up and down no matter how rapidly and run the speedometer to 80mph without any malfunction. It only happens at highway speed casually downshifting to a stop, but never while upshifting, no matter how aggressively. The Yamaha dealer by me has limited experience with the electric clutch, so I had them replace and bleed the clutch fluid which did not fix the problem. I inspected the YCCS visually. I made sure all bolts were tight and cleaned the contacts on the sensor plugs. The rod isn't bent. In addition to frequently getting the Sh_51 code, I once got Sh_15 which forced me go into diagnostic mode to clear before the transmission shifted normally again. Does anyone have any guidance to lend me, or at least help me figure out which error codes these are? Online searches only come back with the engine fault codes but not the Sh codes. I ordered the Haynes manual, but it's several days away. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Order the 2008 AE FSM it will show how to to use a jumper in so you can do many other things. Read your owners manual it address when the shift light comes on the clutch does NOT disengage and how to erase the fault codes. I am not at home to look in my FSM and post what these codes are. I purchased a ABS jumper / connector with on/off switch from member Rayzorman it can be used to jump the pins for the YCCS. I mounted it in my glove box I can ADJUST when my clutch engages now. Winter time until oil and or clutch basket is at operating temp I feel a slight "shudder" from a stop sign or two then after few minutes butter smooth the rest of the day after engine is at operating temp.

PM me and when I get home I will look up the codes and explain where to jump the pins with a paper clip so you can access all the YCCS diagnostic options and how to clear them.
My 2008 AE did the same thing when I first purchased it, had to learn how this YCCS shifts without throwing a code.

#3 ·
I can't help you much having little experience with AE, 2GENAE knows way more than me... these from the book..... both say Unable to Start and Unable to Shift, for what it's worth.

SH_51 - Shift actuator sensor abnormal - Shift rod is not in neutral position when shift actuator is not operating.

SH_15 - Abnormal current is detected in clutch or shift actuator motor drive circuit - Detected current in clutch actuator motor or shift actuator motor is different from MCU (motor control unit) signals.

Perhaps a slight tweak to the length of the shift rod??

#4 ·
My 2008 AE was showing SH-51 and 15 from trying to down shift more then ONE gear at a time or being in 3 at 25 MPH and making the mistake of shifting it down two times and NOT waiting for the ECU to shift. Then it threw SH -51 again and we remembered we removed the shiftier motor and to re index it.

I PM Kingsloth50 and gave him my email. When mine had this issue we installed a new battery to make sure it was not the cause and your ABS connector so we could access the YCCS Diagnostic Program. Cool your connector for bleeding the ABS block works for the YCCS too. That was 9 moths and 7,000 miles ago and no more codes as I learned how to shift the AE smoothly up/down. Old dog learned new trick from another AE owner (waiting on ECU to shift down) and do not click the shift lever TWO times without waiting on it to shift a gear first. He PM me last year when I posted the issue like Kingsloth50. So glad Dan my old FJR riding friend spent hours figuring out how to adjust the YCCS, misprint error in FSM on writing to EPROM to change RPM engagement. A big thanks to Dan for all his help so I am passing it forward. :) .
Louis

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.