FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Ann, myself and a friend are heading to Costa Rica for the 4th of July. We are looking for some advice from those of you who know the country. We will be flying in on June 30 and staying till July 5th. I think that the city we are flying into is San Jose. We figure on getting wet as it will be rainy season, but that is fixed with Frog Toggs :wink:

1. Ann would like to stay on the coast at a nice relaxing spa kind of place. Anyone know of a nice place?

2. My friend and I would like to take a 3-4 day bike trip (after dropping Ann off at the coast). We are probably going to rent a couple KTM 950's. If anyone has a suggested 3-4 day round trip route or advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks much,

Boof

·
Registered
75 Posts
Been to CR several times. My wife is from there so we go at least once or twice a year. CR is a beautiful country. The cliamte is awsome(I see you are from Miami so it is probably similar.) I wouldn't worry too much about the rain. Even though it is the rainy season, its not like it rains everyday. If it does rain it is usually in the late afternoon/evening.

1. Take your wife to the Pacific Coast in the Guanacaste Province. That's where you will find the most beautiful beaches and resorts with spas. ticotimes.net has some good links for hotels and such. Most hotels will accept credit cards but will charge you a "tourism tax" of about 16% - if you pay with cash they may waive the tax. CR also has beautiful rainforests with all kinds of wildlife. If you are feeling a little adventurous I'd recommend the whitewater rafting tour on the Rio Pacuare(one day trip is all you need, not too far from San Jose). You raft through class 3-4 rapids through the rainforest and the scenery, wildlife and waterfalls are breathtaking.

2. Take my advice when I tell you that Costa Ricans are crazy drivers. 2nd highest auto accident rate in the world. Being from chicago I'm used to hectic traffic and jackass drivers, but CR is in a class of its own. It is pretty much "No Holds Barred" when it comes to traffic laws b/c not many drivers obey them. The farther away you get from San Jose the crappier the roads get. I mean really crappy. Potholes everywhere! I'd recommend you get a guide if you do rent motorcycles b/c CR doesn't have any street signs. You'll probably have to rent your motos in San Jose. Although many locals speak english it'd be a good idea to brush up on your spanish. Most people are friendly and will help you if you get lost and need directions. Don't leave any valuables in your car/bike.

I've been thinking about taking one of those 3 day tours myself on the KTMs. Lot of switchbacks and steep curves through the mtn roads. Absolutly beautiful. There is really only one major highway(2 lane most of the way) that goes from San Jose to the coast and it can get backed up with buses and trucks trying to go up the mtns. Be careful on those tight curves as large buses coming the opposite way tend to take up both lanes.

You guys will have an awesome time. CR is a blast. Very friendly and warm culture. (hope I didn't scare you about the driving) Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, what are Frogg Toggs?

Joe

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joer6, we have heard about the crazy driving in CR. We figure on taking it easy and hopefully our experience will help a little.

Thanks for the tips !! Ann is sitting on the edge of the fence in deciding whether or not to ride with us, or stay at the spa for 3 days. My guess is that she will end up on the bike :D

How far do you think a person could ride in say 8 hours?? With poor road conditions it might be a push to ride maybe 100-150 miles per day? About how long would it take us to get over to the GUANCASTE side of the country?

Oh....and Frogg Toggs are really good rain gear that I use a lot down here in Miami. They are really light and breathable and VERY compact. You can look them up at www.froggtoggs.com. I highly reccomend them.

Thanks again,

Boof

·
Registered
75 Posts
Glad I could help boofer.

From San Jose to Guanacaste(Pacific coast) is about a 5-6 hour drive. I think you could do 100-150 miles in 8 hours. The country is only about 250 miles long and 150 wide but with the roads all twisty through the mtns it sure takes a while to get anywhere. You'll have a blast going through them.

Definately let me know how your moto adventure is as I'll probably do something similar around december.

thanks for the link - i'll check it out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts