FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,

Was going to change oil on bike and my strap oil filter wrench broke. I bought this when I bought the bike in '06. I can't find the same small strap wrench I bought before.

I go to local auto stores NO ONE has a wrench that will fit my filter. I am using a Bosch 3323 filter. Have used these for last 4 yrs. I was looking for a end cap wrench, but

they don't fit snugly and filter can spin inside the wrench.

I am sure the filters for bike are all using the same housing, what are you guys using ? Make of filter wrench and any part no. you have on this tool would be helpful.

Then maybe I can get that one and change oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've used a cap wrench forever. I use the same one for my bike and cage (Honda). It fits both Mobil 1 and Hi-Flow filters snug.
Maybe yours is not quite the proper size for the filter?

Reactions: dravnx

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
1,840 Posts
Hi to all,
Was going to change oil on bike and my strap oil filter wrench broke.
I go to local auto stores NO ONE has a wrench that will fit my filter. I am using a Bosch 3323 filter. Have used these for last 4 yrs. I was looking for a end cap wrench, but they don't fit snugly and filter can spin inside the wrench.
Then maybe I can get that one and change oil.
Thanks
Blitzer,

I'd keep digging for the right cap wrench, or another strap wrench. Mine fits, so I'm no help on the tooling.

If you now have a cap wrench which does not fit (as in, useless), I would put a large nut on an anvil, put a wrench-flat of the cap wrench onto the nut, and hit the wrench-flat with a ball-pein hammer to make a round dent into the wrench-flat. Repeat for each wrench-flat of the cap wrench. That process should give you a cap wrench that works. If it is too tight to fit the filter then, just flatten each dent slightly with a flat hammer and the anvil (no nut). My "anvil" is a short length of real railroad track, clamped to the workbench.

Alternately, you could just wrap the wrench-flats of the filter with a band of aluminum tape (or any metal tape) to make the filter fit well inside the cap-wrench. Use as many layers of the tape as may be needed. Duct-work (HVCA) supply shops should have the metal tapes. These tapes do what ordinary duct-tape can not do.

·
Registered
2012 FJR Blue Beauty, 2014 FJR Redhead, +++
165 Posts
Was going to change oil on bike and my strap oil filter wrench broke. I bought this when I bought the bike in '06. I can't find the same small strap wrench I bought before.
Faced your situation when removing a very tight K&N filter off a 2014 I recently purchased. The nut on filter bottom readily deformed, my normal filter wrenches failed to break it free, and YouTube videos did not offer any solutions that worked. So I purchased a three claw filter wrench from Cycle Gear Stockton Universal Oil Filter Wrench - Cycle Gear ($7.99 in the store) and wondered why I had wasted an hour trying other approaches.

BTW, the tool works better if the red protective caps are removed. ;)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Alternatively, you could switch to the KN-148 K&N oil filters. These filters are made with a strong steel can, as apposed to old aluminum beer cans which other manufacturers use, and they have a nut welded to the outside so that you can use a normal spanner to fit and remove them, and even wire lock them for use in racing.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I think you're waaaaay overthinking this. Take your new filter, go to the auto parts store and try the cap wrenches until you get the one that's snug/right. There's usually a dozen different sizes there. Buy and done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alternatively, you could switch to the KN-148 K&N oil filters. These filters are made with a strong steel can, as apposed to old aluminum beer cans which other manufacturers use, and they have a nut welded to the outside so that you can use a normal spanner to fit and remove them, and even wire lock them for use in racing.
I was using K&Ns and liked them until I got the impression that they were cheaping out on the nut, felt like it would strip fairly easily. I quit using them and went back to stock filters. My suspicions were confirmed when my buddy called and asked me to help get the filter off his ST1300 cuz the K&N nut stripped. Used a 3 claw for that, but I have a cap wrench for both the FJR and Hayabusa. YMMV.

·
Registered
98 VFR800, 2013A
80 Posts
just a suggestion, maybe try oil filter pliers. I have a set I like. Because of the crash bars, I can't use a cap wrench. I also use them on my old Tundra.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
443 Posts
What I've found of late with the box store OFW, is thay none are 65mm only.
Seems now they are a combo of 65/67mm and the 65mm portion is shallow.
Plus inconsistant sizing ( not actually 65mm ) as made "offshore" and cheap.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,323 Posts
just a suggestion, maybe try oil filter pliers. I have a set I like. Because of the crash bars, I can't use a cap wrench. I also use them on my old Tundra.
That's what I use and it works the best..... similar to this but I have a shorter version........
To prevent difficulties in future, lube the filter gasket with oil or grease, when base makes contact, tighten 1/2-3/4 turn more and no more.

Vision care Eyewear Eye glass accessory Bicycle part Cable

·
Registered
2020 FJR1300ES
72 Posts
I bought an original Yamaha cup wrench from a dealer for like $11. Perfect fit.
Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
That's what I use and it works the best..... similar to this but I have a shorter version........
To prevent difficulties in future, lube the filter gasket with oil or grease, when base makes contact, tighten 1/2-3/4 turn more and no more.

View attachment 81746
I also use something similar to this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My Prius aluminum oil filter wrench fits perfectly

Amazon has nice aluminum filter wrench sets you can get too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts