FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past few weeks I’ve had two issues.

One is that sometimes when I push the start button, nothing happens until about the third push. I’d say it only does this about one in twenty starts. But I’m on a long trip right now, so that means it does it about once every couple of days. I think it has only done it when it is in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Second is that every once in a while the cruise control will suddenly disengage. This has only happened a very few times, like maybe four times in the past month. And I’ve had the cruise control engaged for possibly as much as a couple of thousand miles in the past ten days.

I have an idea of what a likely culprit could be, but would like to hear from some of y’all. I can’t say for sure that they are related, but I think there is a good chance they are given the timing. And I can think of one thing that I think could cause both issues.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
Clutch switch is dirty/not returning fully..... most likely culprit to me. Will affect starting in gear and will disengage the cruise. Flush it with some contact cleaner....
Give the brake lever switch a spritz too...... there is a recall for that if you haven't got it yet.

Reactions: JohnC and jjscsix

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray, that was exactly my thought. But now let me add something I left out.

A few weeks ago I flushed the clutch fluid. I immediately noticed a much firmer feel. But the engagement also became much further out. I had 32,000 miles on the bike, and I have two other bikes. The distance I had to let the clutch out was almost alarming simply because I was not use to it, and getting off the other bikes really took an adjustment. The clutch operates fine, engagement is smooth, and no slip.

The timing of that makes me wonder if that effects the switch mechanism. I’m on the road with 1,600 miles in the next three days. I’m not into fiddling with things that could leave me stranded a long way from nowhere. For now, I don’t feel any concern about it stranding me, so I’m going to wait until I get home to fiddle with it. I am going to try to start it in neutral as often as I can remember. If it still does not start in neutral, that should rule out the clutch switch, right?

Thanks as always for your insight.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
The clutch switch doesn't actually disengage until the lever is pretty close to the bar, will vary only with where you adjust the lever. On my Honda CBF, I have to keep the adjuster not at the minimum or the clutch switch will not disengage, thus I can't start it in gear.
Flush and bleed would definitely firm up the feel, change where the friction zone is.
No harm in giving your clutch switch a spritz of something to flush out any dirt particles that prevent letting it come full out.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Clutch switch is dirty/not returning fully..... most likely culprit to me. Will affect starting in gear and will disengage the cruise. Flush it with some contact cleaner....
Give the brake lever switch a spritz too...... there is a recall for that if you haven't got it yet.
For the CC problem, the rear brake switch could also be the problem. One part of each of the three switches is in series to provide an ENABLE for the CC circuit in the ECU. Any momentary break in that circuit will either disengage the CC or prevent it from engaging.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today I rode it almost 400 miles. I made a point to put it in neutral everytime I started it and it started perfectly everytime. The CC did shut off on me twice this morning, but behaived itself this afternoon. I feel pretty certain it’s the front brake lever. I’ve been wrong before, could happen again. When I get home I’ll inspect and clean it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts