FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lost the screw on the left-hand side of the cowling right above the little compartment. It is black, dome-headed with a Hex inset. It is about 3/4 or an inch long. There are several of these screws in the cowling...

Can anyone give me the part number?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Probably easier to remove the same screw on the other side, and take it to someplace like ACE Hardware that has a good selection of nuts and bolts, and find a comparable screw.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I think you may be talking about #52...

Bolt,Hex. Socket Button 90111-05021-00
$2.15
$1.44

I lost mine because the capture nut that clips onto the dash piece jettisoned itself somewhere while I was installing the screw.

Dammit! I can't get the parts diagram posted right.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
If the screw has a shoulder under the head, you should not use a hardware store screw. The shoulder prevent the plastic from being compressed and broken.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,706 Posts
I usually can't find those anywhere with that big a head..... some have a thin plastic washer under them to prevent digging in to the plastic. I toss the JIS head one under the glove box lid and use a hex one to be consistent.... so I buy a few spares and keep them around...

90111-05021-00

·
Registered
713 Posts
Whenever I order things like that, I take inventory of every size fastener used on body parts and order two of each.

Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If the screw has a shoulder under the head, you should not use a hardware store screw. The shoulder prevent the plastic from being compressed and broken.
Judge,

When I need a shouldered screw, I get the right length of screw, and a good number of skinny split-washer type lock washers. If the head of the screw is too small, add the right size of flat washer under the head. Invert the screw, stack the lock washers on the shank as needed (put the splits in a straight line), and join the washers with superglue. Let it set for a while. End result: DIY shoulder screw.
Try that; we won't tell anybody. ;)

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Judge,

When I need a shouldered screw, I get the right length of screw, and a good number of skinny split-washer type lock washers. If the head of the screw is too small, add the right size of flat washer under the head. Invert the screw, stack the lock washers on the shank as needed (put the splits in a straight line), and join the washers with superglue. Let it set for a while. End result: DIY shoulder screw.
Try that; we won't tell anybody. ;)
Nah, I'll buy the proper fastener. I have too much pride in my work.

·
Registered
2006 FJR 1300
108 Posts
I have lost the screw on the left-hand side of the cowling right above the little compartment. It is black, dome-headed with a Hex inset. It is about 3/4 or an inch long. There are several of these screws in the cowling...

Can anyone give me the part number?
You Amy be talking about this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Nah, I'll buy the proper fastener. I have too much pride in my work.
Dravnx,

That's a great plan, man. My first choice, every time.
So, what happens when nobody has made that special part for the last dozen years?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If the part is no longer available, then you improvise.
John,

It is shocking, if you think that needs saying.
I would agree, of course, but I believe it goes without saying.

Reactions: skag

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Easiest thing to do is to go on ebay and buy a bag of fasteners from a scrapper. Something like this will have most of what you need in terms of fasteners that Yamaha tends to use. Cheaper than trying to buy a bunch one at a time. I bought a misc bag when I got my FZ1 and so far it has had what I needed for the FJR too

06-12 YAMAHA FJR1300A ABS OEM BOLT NUTS BOLTS FAIRING MOTOR MISC | eBay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts