FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
2006 FJR1300AE

I agree with three comments made in the post that started this thread:

1.) A 6th gear would be very nice, especially for highway cruising. I feel that the engine should be running 2500RPM at 70MPH, but is running in the mid to high 3000's.

2.) Electronic cruise control - the Honda 1300 has it, but the FJR does not.

3.) The electronic clutch will become the norm for touring and many sport touring cycles over the next three to five years. The FJR1300 is a land-based missle, and the finger shifter couldn't be smoother. Hats off to Yamaha! :D

Note on the mirrors: they fold forward to the point that they are parallel with the bike. This came in handy the second day I owned the bike. I was unloading it in a narrow space. Folding the mirrors forward gave me some breathing room.

One interesting thing about the Y-CCS (electronic clutch): You may have grown used to revving the engine occassionally while sitting at a stoplight. Whether to hear the sound of the pipes, or scare onlookers, or challenge four-wheeled vehicles, revving up can be fun on occassion. The FJR1300AE can ONLY be revved in Neutral. DO NOT rap the throttle while sitting in first gear at idle (which is what the bike does, if you want it to.) You will launch like a rocket. Also, the manual states that if you drop the clutch from neutral to first while over 1300RPM it won't allow it to happen. You must be under 1300RPM to place the bike in to first gear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
ST1300 Cruise, 6th Gear

I must have been misinformed regarding the cruise control for the Honda ST1300. I apologize for spreading what appears to be erroneuos information.

Those interested in an aftermarket electronic cruise control for their FJR1300AE can find one here:
http://www.motorcycle-cruise-control.com/shop/product.php?productid=85&cat=471&page=1

As for the desire for a 6th gear, I stand by what I said. The point that was made above regarding throttle response is good, and I don't disagree. I just believe that the extra gear would help with fuel mileage over long distances. I realize this is a global forum, and some of you may not find yourselves on exceptionally long stretches of highway. For instance, Spain has a land area of 499,542 sq km (192,874 sq miles - I think). The state of Texas has a land area of 695,621 sq km (268,581 sq miles.) That's just one state in the Union. Alaska is a great deal larger yet. My point is, you can spend an entire day driving across Texas, vast stretches of which will be desolate and lonely. An electronic cruise control would be very nice to have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Downshift Button

I, too, have inadvertently pressed the horn button when attempting to downshift. This is, however, no where near as bad as ripping through gears 1-4, waiting a moment, then accidentally downshifting back to third. Third gear can handle a mistake, but be careful. These little mental errors are likely to clear up with more riding. Overall, I was comfortable with the finger shifter within a few miles.

I've heard some guys are just using the tab on the upshift side of the paddle to perform downshifts by pressing it forward with their index finger. In other words, push towards you to upshift, push away to downshift. Personally, I have no problem using my thumb to downshift, and I'm sure I will hit the horn less and less.

As for the foot shifter, I used it for the first time today (after 200 miles of riding.) I will test it for downshifting and let you know my impressions. When upshifting with your finger, you can click off very fast shifts (I think the owner's manual or a review I read claimed 60 milliseconds.) When downshifting with your thumb it seems you have to wait half a second before the next downshift. In other words, say you're in 5th, don't like the traffic around you, and want to get out in to the open very quickly. You may want to downshift from 5th to 4th to 3rd by clicking down twice. With the finger shifter you can't simply hit the button twice. You have to hit it once, wait for the gear to engage, then hit again. I'll test the foot shifter and see if the response is similar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AE Shifting

I find that you don't have to roll off the throttle, but the shifts are a little smoother if you do. The owner's manual says to roll off the throttle when shifting. If you don't let off the gas, there is a slight surge when the gear kicks in. This is also dependent on how hard you are accelerating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts