FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Too cute!

I've got one of those hiding in the garage as a Christmas gift for my 7 year old too.

Reactions: StreamRider

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too cute!

I've got one of those hiding in the garage as a Christmas gift for my 7 year old too.
It was perfect for her to start and learn to keep her eyes up and the basics of leaning to turn so far. Not too fast and not too slow. The folding pegs also are clutch so she could start with her legs/feet out as a safety net and once she gets more comfortable she can get the feet up and on. Battery life is awful though especially in wet soft grass but a good stepping stone to get acquainted.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
:LOL:
It just occurred to me: One problem with a mini-bike type of vehicle is that the small wheels do not give it much rotational inertia. Has to be a bit of a problem for a child. OTOH, the small wheels means that the child doesn't have far to fall.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:LOL:
It just occurred to me: One problem with a mini-bike type of vehicle is that the small wheels do not give it much rotational inertia. Has to be a bit of a problem for a child. OTOH, the small wheels means that the child doesn't have far to fall.
We just got to the point today where the pegs came down and she started putting her feet up. It was a HUGE frustration for her to not be able to simply take off and then put her feet up. The bike needed to be moving at about 12-15mph before it was stable enough to get both feet up. We moved to a large parking lot (empty) and she was able to execute turns either way with her feet up. She did start by throwing her leg out like a pro MX racer and if I were a better camera guy I would have been able to get a shot of it and edit it to look like Jeremy McGrath lunging into a corner with his heel way out but alas I am not. The speed difference in stability was ultamatly noticeable. I augmented this by instructing her and allowing her to hold the “gas” more and giving her a larger space to do so.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
I see a Yammy TW-200 in her future...........

Reactions: StreamRider
1 - 15 of 15 Posts