FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son, V-strom, and I, '07, are going to meeting in Johnson City for a few days, then down to Ashville for a few and possibly going west of there for a bit as well.

What are some 'don't miss' roads that we should hit?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Been 30 years since I was at UT Knoxville and had a riding buddy in Asheville, so I don't remember exact roads, but that entire area is motorcycle nirvana.

I know the Blue Ridge Parkway, and most of the roads off of it are awesome riding.

Post up some pics when you get back!

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,176 Posts
My experience- pick a road and ride it. Out that way you really can't go wrong. If riding on the weekend avoid the "big name popular" roads. They're too crowded.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Took a ride down there last May.

The BRP south of Asheville is a must see, as is the BRP north of Asheville up to the Linn Cove Viaduct.

Tail of the Dragon and the Cherahola skyway are also nearby,

US 441 and a detour to Clingmans Dome will get you up over 6500 feet in elevation if you like views.

I would avoid the weekends if you can. The whole area is very busy on Saturdays and Sundays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The BR Parkway is great, but it's also slow. I can do it for about an hour, then I get bored. But just about ANY road that crosses it is either coming up a big hill or heading down on - and that means turns.

A good loop out of Asheville is to take the Parkway North, up over Mt. Mitchell. If it's clear out, go to the observation tower as the view is worth it. There's also a nice restaurant up there if you have the time. Then take route 80 south from the Parkway down to US70 near Marion. Massive downhill run, hang on. From there, head down to Lake Lure on Bulls Creek Road and ride up through Hickory Nut Gorge on 74alt. That will take you back to Asheville.

South of Asheville, same deal. 276, 215, etc. You really can't go too wrong in any direction up there if you avoid the commuter routes (usually 4 lane).

Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon are way out west from Asheville and are wicked busy on good days - which is also not fun in my book. But there's a crap ton of nice roads between them and Asheville.

·
Registered
49 Posts
"The Snake" Highway 421 is a great road. The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride" If you ride 421 stop at Shady Valley Country Store to get your "Snake" sticker. Blowing Rock (221) is a great road and nice place to ride to. 321 is also a nice road around Wautaga Lake with a stop at Captains Table for some good grub. The view is spectacular too if you can score a table by the window. I have family in that area so I've ridden there for years! Ask any other question, I'd be happy to answer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The Snake" Highway 421 is a great road. The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride" If you ride 421 stop at Shady Valley Country Store to get your "Snake" sticker. Blowing Rock (221) is a great road and nice place to ride to. 321 is also a nice road around Wautaga Lake with a stop at Captains Table for some good grub. The view is spectacular too if you can score a table by the window. I have family in that area so I've ridden there for years! Ask any other question, I'd be happy to answer.

Thanks, I will be adding to my list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts