FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting over my old habits of riding conservatively, keeping the RPM low and gear high, calm acceleration and the like. Average MPG was around 42.
Yesterday morning I went on a 250 mile loop to the mountains & back. Maybe 70 miles on interstate, 50 or so on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the rest on "interesting" highways and side roads. I was safe and sane, but I definitely am riding much more aggressively now. I've found the FJR is happiest around the 4,000 RPM mark. A truck on the interstate made me nervous so I passed as quickly as possible -- the GPS trip computer later said my max speed was 100mph :oops: . A jerk cager at a rest stop tried to beat me out of the parking lot and I accidently lifted the front wheel getting ahead of him :oops: :oops: .
Anyhow, it was not a gentle ride and the bike responded beautifully. When I gassed up it took only 5 gallons. That means I got 50 MILES PER GALLON!!!
Has anyone else found that the FJR is more efficient with aggressive riding?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I never noticed a gas savings but riding like this sure makes riding more fun! :lol:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your engine runs most effiecently at it's peak torque curve.You generally get your best milage at or near your peak torque curve. In top gear, if that represents too much speed for the driving conditions then you need to be in a lower gear. If your on level ground in top gear you can cruise at a low rpm as long as you can maintain a constant speed. The moment you need to accelerate you are better off in a lower gear till that speed is reached.

Mel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes ... I thought I was imagining it. Thanks. At least we share the same observations. It caught me by surprise as I watched the MPG rise in hard riding. Kinda nice.

Bill

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
When I ride aggressively, Santa Claus fills up my bike for me, so I really take the savings for granted.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
When I ride aggressively, Santa Claus fills up my bike for me, so I really take the savings for granted.
Next time you see him, tell him where I live. I wanna Santa to fill my bike too :lol:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
zane_in_nc said:
I'm getting over my old habits of riding conservatively, keeping the RPM low and gear high, calm acceleration and the like. Average MPG was around 42.
Yesterday morning I went on a 250 mile loop to the mountains & back. Maybe 70 miles on interstate, 50 or so on the Blue Ridge Parkway and the rest on "interesting" highways and side roads. I was safe and sane, but I definitely am riding much more aggressively now. I've found the FJR is happiest around the 4,000 RPM mark. A truck on the interstate made me nervous so I passed as quickly as possible -- the GPS trip computer later said my max speed was 100mph :oops: . A jerk cager at a rest stop tried to beat me out of the parking lot and I accidently lifted the front wheel getting ahead of him :oops: :oops: .
Anyhow, it was not a gentle ride and the bike responded beautifully. When I gassed up it took only 5 gallons. That means I got 50 MILES PER GALLON!!!

Has anyone else found that the FJR is more efficient with aggressive riding?
Yes that's why I ride my Fjr in the 4500 & 5250 area on the M'Ways as it will return in the 50's the most I got out of it was 55 at a steady 80mph 2up & loaded. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts