FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search, but was unable to find any info on this subject. I am looking for suggestions on earphones that are comfortable under a helmet. The ones that came with my MP3 player hurt after a short ride. I have seen some in the stores, but hate to drop 60 or 70 bucks on a set if they do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Though a bit more expensive, custom in ear speakers are a great way to go. They block out extranneous noise and have outstanding audio quality.

Similar and a bit cheaper are the in ear ER-6's, made by Sony I believe.

If you stuck using the helmet speakers you may have to cut out the foam in the helmet adjacent to your ear to get the speaker flush with the inside of the helmet. It should be comfortable if its flush with the helmet.

Glenn

Kieth on this board sells and installs all things electrical pertaining to audio. He's a wealth of knowledge in this area.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
gr8eyes said:
"Etymotic" is the company. 100 bucks is about the best you can do online. The isolation is fabulous. The sound quality is fabulous. The all-day comfort lacks a little for me (all-day or multi-day rides), but they don't bother my wife at all.

Not cheap, but top-quality.

:)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
"Etymotic" is the company. 100 bucks is about the best you can do online. The isolation is fabulous. The sound quality is fabulous. The all-day comfort lacks a little for me (all-day or multi-day rides)
Yeah, I like mine and they stay in place under a helmet a lot better than the Sony Fontopias. At the house, I listen to the Sony's cause the ER6's can make your ear canal sore after awhile and the Sony's sound as good, imho.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ER 6 is one of the 2 hot set ups. I have a set and use them all the time, both on and off the bike. If you want 500+ mile comfort, let me suggest
http://www.earplugco.com/prod01.htm. I also have a set of these and for distance riding, these are the Cat's Ass. They sound great and you hardly know they're there. Plus, the owner (Bob Weis) is a long-time rider and a super guy. Problems simply don't exist with this guy...customer service is superb. I'd check him out

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup, Etymotic ER-6 are what I use. They fit perfectly under my helmet on long rides. They stay in real well and won't pop out like the Sony fontopia's (sp?) when you tug on them. Sound great too - block out a lot of wind noise.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Nope, never did.

I'm not a huge music while riding type. For my usual Sunday afternoon blasts, the motor's the only music I need, but on longer trips I'll run some tunes occasionally.

The ER6s have killer sound, but the only time I wear them for extended periods is when wifey and I use them as part of the Autocom system. That way we can whisper in each other's ear, and listen to Creed, and answer distress calls from the babysitter... all while experiencing accelerated tire wear on a twisty road.

I resisted rider-to-passenger communication like the plague, until I tried it. Riding 2-up, in sporting fashion, is so much easier when you can communicate your intentions to the passenger.

:)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
This is my favorite setup. Go to headsets.com click the "corded headsets for telephones" from the droplist choose "headset accesories" and go to page 5 of the accesories it should look like this:

They are made of a really soft silicone and go fairly deep into the ear canal. Very comfortable.
I use a Radio Shack foam ear bud. You remove the foam and there will be a small tube that you can, with some small effort, push the clear tube of the new ear plug onto the Radio Shack system. I tried a Koss ear bud but it had too much bass for me. Clip the metal end off the clear tube if it has one. Kinda looks like dangling earings until the helmet is on. I have not had these fall out while riding. The sound is great and no more ear pain, really! I made some for my riding friends and they think they are great. They stop alot of wind noise even when the music is off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Helmet Size

I use Etymotic ER-6s, and find they are now comfortable. I had a fairly tight fitting Shoei (medium) and I went to an RF-1000 (large). All the difference in the world. Before, with the tight fitting helmet, I could wear foam earplugs OK, but anything else was uncomfortable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I purchased a pair of custom moulded ear plugs that are made to accept the ER-6 and they are awesome. I use them whenever I am listening with a head set. The best for isolating sound and comfort too.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Shure E4C are about the best earplugs available at any price. Street price are about $180. They sound as good as any professional ear bud monitors ( Well, as good as any under $500 for professional noise cancelling types ). Definately worth the cost if you are a critical listener.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Starcom who make intercoms sell a dedicated headset for using with music only. The headset consists of two speaker earphones which velcro into your helmet and then have a connector which you can dangle out the bottom. This connects via a waterproof connector to a high quality part 'curly' lead to a 3.5mm audio plug, which you can connect straight into your MP3 player etc.

The headset cost £30.00 and arrived within a couple of days. Once I rigged up the wiring behind the helmet lining and was happy with the speaker position they were great. It aslo reduced the windnoise due to the new snug fit of the speaker cover.

More expensive than small earplugs but very comfortable and I just pull my lid off without worrying about additional plugs. It feels like the speakers are a part of the helmet - which they are.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Pretty thin thread for such a subjective topic.

BTDT. Tried all the ones up to $500 that aren't custom moulded and I settled on the Westone UM-2. Amazing sound. I use them with Shure's triple-flange seals - works great, sounds better than anything - a bit better definition and low end than the Shure E5Cs, which cost twice as much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Etymotics ER6I were awesome but not for several day rides, I now have custom molded (different brand) set for long trips....

·
Registered
110 Posts
bramfrank said:
Pretty thin thread for such a subjective topic.

BTDT. Tried all the ones up to $500 that aren't custom moulded and I settled on the Westone UM-2. Amazing sound. I use them with Shure's triple-flange seals - works great, sounds better than anything - a bit better definition and low end than the Shure E5Cs, which cost twice as much.
I actually checked into a pair of Westones. The UM-2's sell for $300. The Westone ES2's contain the same drivers as the UM-2's. The ES-2's sell for about $650 and you have to get an ear mold fitting from a professional. I wonder if the custom fit actually makes a difference in the sound quality as long as you get a proper fit with the universal earbuds?

I wonder how much better the dual drivers sound over the single drivers of the Shure E4c's. Westone use to make the earbuds for Shure until they started making their own.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Actually, you can do a custom mold for the UM1, UM2 or any of many others such as the Shure or Etymolics - the ear piece is called the UM56 which retail for $112 a pair.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I found just the opposite, I got the Etymotic custom molds first, they're fast and easy, but don't have NEAR the isolation of the ER6i's, those things rock!! The 3 ridge cone is more comfy than the 2 ridge style, you might try those on your ER6's Liquid. I had some Shure's for a while but they didn't fit or sound anywhere NEAR as good as the ER6i's

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.