FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '04 model, I had the windscreen raked back so that my head was running in clean air (I'm not tall!!!).

On my '06 model, my mod wouldn't work (the design changed A LOT). So, after 900 miles, I thought I'd have a serious play.

Take off the windscreen (undo 2 bolts undrneath to remove the plastic
and you can then see the 7 windscreen plastic bolts).
Under there is a metal holding plate as shown here:

Undo the two bolts and also the two allen key bolts at the side. Take the plate off.

You now see at the side, two allen key bolts holding the slidde mechanism.
Remove the bottom one, rotate the mechanism so that the screw thread is outside,
add a large washer to the bolt and replace it. It should now look like this. Repeat for the other side.

Replace everything and you now have about a 10 degree extra rake.

Easy to do and also easy to put back to standard.

Alan

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
amain said:
Guess you have a higher mechanical aptitude than we do; just what do you think is going to come apart? :roll:
I was a little confused by the piccies and description at first, but it seems to me that the original installation has two allen-key bolts holding the assembly at the bottom. With the mod there is now only one. Does this equate to only half the holding ability??? I guess we will all find out after a few high speed runs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have given it a small run and it seems to do less buffetting (there was a bit with the orginal position.
Big test is today - when I am off down the M6/M40 (for those who don't know - that's about a 220 mile run for me.)

To answer Afterburn.....

The wide washer which I added is butted up against the plate holding on the screen. So there is no way it can come off.
If I was being really serious about this, I would have cut into the hole the screw goes through to provide a variable slot - but I want to prove it first.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the cure for me.

Well, a 30 mile ride at 90+ proves it works and works well.

I get no buffetting and a whooshing sound around the ears. If I raise the screen, I get less wind pressure - no change in noise. At the high position, much less pressure on my back and still quiet. I think that's because there is a much larger gap at the bottom of the screen now (so it behaves like the Cal-Sci holes).

So, that's it - no need for alternate screens. This mod actually works for me.

I would recommend everyone who has issues with the screen to try it - it is reversable if it doesn't suit you.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yesterday I put it back to standard. The rake is too much. Sometime I will drill some holes between standard and what I just did and try that out - if only to get rid of the awful whistling (like morse code going off around my head).

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
joecbr1100 said:
woody said:
The idea is good but the friction fit is a bit iffy. I think it would be wise to make it a mechinical fit. As Afterburn mentioned.
Gorilla glue on the washer will sovle this problem.
Glue a Gorilla on to the screen? I suppose it would help with the wind but the vision would be a bit fuzzy :lol:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK - I found that the rake back was too much. So, what I have done is drilled the holes so that they are oval in shape and therefore I get some movement back, but nowhere near as much as before. So, re-assembled it all with it raked back as far as the holes would let me (which is not a lot)

Went for a ride today. Now, it is sunny, 24c and no wind. So, I was wearing a lightweight jacket. There was a bit of wind noise - not a lot, but best of all, no buffetting - even at 3 figure speeds.

So, it looks good so far. However, I do know that different jackets make a difference.

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those that think this is too drastic (cutting holes - ugh!), there is an alternative.

Look at the silver bolts in the first picture. If you remove those you can slip a small thick washer (say 3-4mm) between the bracket and the bit underneath. That will also rake the widscreen back.

Takes about 10 minutes max !

Alan

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure what is under the fairing. But my latest mod is really easy and (I think) will also eliminate the whistling.

Alan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts