FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Fjr 1300a
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got hold of a Shad top case for my 2015 FJR. It took several weeks for delivery but it eventually got here. Now I’m looking for a mounting rack for it. NOBODY has one available. RevZilla said they had one (the kind that replaces the stock grab rails) in stock so I ordered it. 3 weeks later I called to ask about it and they said they would check on it and for the inconvenience that gave me $30 Zillow cash. Another 3 weeks later I called again. Same deal and they gave be another $20 in Zillow cash. Then I got and email saying they will not be able to get one at all and don’t know when it will be available. Got another $25 in Zillow cash. $75 total now. Great that I have $75 but I still want a mounting rack. A buddy of mine has a 2014 FJR with a Shad top case but he has a triangle shaped metal bracket that simple mounts to the three screws that hold the stock rear rack. The shad mounting plate is attacked to this bracket and it works great. I googled the heck out of the internet but can’t find anything like it. Has anyone ever heard of such an animal ??? Unfortunately I don’t have any pics. Got a nice top case but just can’t use it yet. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Don’t do it! That mount us what eventually broke my subframe ! You can get the yammyhaw heavy aluminum rack and adapt theShad mount to it, that’s what I ended up doing. The Shad steel mount that mounts on the 3 bolts provides zero support for the subframe and allows the rear tab on the subframe to just flex up & down and WILL break the subframe. Don’t do it !

The only top box mounts that are ok to use and support the subframe are the yamaha heavy aluminum rack, the Givi SR357 tube rack or the very similar Shad tube rack. They all support the rear subframe and eliminate flex of the rear subframe tab.

But as always, your bike, your money, by the way a new subframe was over $600.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What he said ^. Here’s (hopefully it works) a link to my recent post about modifying a GIVI 357 for a smaller Shad plate.

·
Registered
2015 Fjr 1300a
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warnings and the alternate suggestion using a Givi rack. I know there’s been a lot of posts about cracked sub frames. I definitely don’t want to go down that road. It just doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult to find a simple solution. Then again, it is a motorcycle and the manufacturers don’t make anything simple. So let me ask, where actually is the vulnerable area that can cause a sub frame crack? Is it where the rack mounts to the frame under the rear seat or is it at the rear where the 3 bolts are. It seems like the rear is the weak area based on passx’s reply. Guess I’ll start looking for a Yammy or Givi rack and start getting creative.

·
Registered
2021 FJR1300ES
36 Posts
I used the Yamaha aluminum rack, ordered and installed the upgraded Shad aluminum mount and put my SH58X on top of it all. Spaced the Shad mount back about 3/4 inch from the rail on the Yamaha rack and drilled the holes on my drill press. I did have to remove the plastic mounting tabs from the Shad mount to easily access the forward bolts on the Yamaha mount for re-installation. Looks MUCH cleaner than the Shad mount you get with the case.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
I've got the SHAD rack your looking for - the Y0FJ15ST. It was not fitting well when I tried putting it on my 2016 with a Stiffy, and then I gave up and took the body off to get the body painted. The lawsuit with the painter is over and my replacement body parts won't be here for 2+ months.

Note that the Revzilla pics include the mounting plate on the rack. The mounting plate should be included with the case and is not included with the rack.

Do you want to take the chance it won't fit yours? Not sure about the cost of shipping to NC...

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I drilled and tapped my yamaha heavy aluminum rack to adapt the Shad mounting plate to it, this lowered my 50l Shad box about 1 1/2” and provides a much more solid mount. I also modified the “stiffy” mount a bunch to better support the subframe, I don’t want to change the subframe again !

on the subframe the problem is that the “tab” where the 3 mounting holes are is unsupported and acts as a lever that pivots on the top rail of the subframe through the struts and flex’s the lower part usually cracking and breaking around the 2 bolt holes that the rear fender mounts through. Garauld had a lot of pictures on his catalog in the “ Stiffy kit” section.

To say that yamaha did a poor design here and poor quality control here would be a giant understatement, I wouldn’t carry my lunch pail on the oe plastic rack, it’s just pitiful at best ! Yamaha figured this all out eventually but instead of doing the “right” thing and putting the heavy aluminum rack on the bikes as OE they decided to use it as a money making deal, they should be ashamed imho !

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2015 Fjr 1300a
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer Ludwig. I found something that looks like the mount my buddy has on his 2014 FJR. He’s used it many times and hasn’t had any issues.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Font

1 - 8 of 8 Posts