FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJR1300, 1994 VFR750f, 1999Jeep Cherokee
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... first the good news: I’m not injured. At least not physically. My ego and my sense of self confidence have both been badly shaken. Also: the bike is, for the most part, good. It’s a little scratched now but at least none of the plastic was cracked or badly damaged. The left mirror didn’t snap off because it folded well, although it’s now sporting some ugly scuff marks and scratches. The left engine casing also has some ugly scratches on it as well as the left handlebar end weight and the left exhaust canister. Luckily, the left side frame slider did it’s job and took one for the team; preventing some very expensive and hard to find replacement of any side panels. So if anyone doubts that frame sliders can save your expensive bike from serious damage in a tip over let this silence those doubts: they work.

It was all the result of a silly, stupid and very publicly embarrassing mistake. It was such a noob thing to do. I’ve been riding for many, many years (since 1975 at least) and I can’t remember doing such a stupid, stupid thing. This happened a couple of weeks ago or so and it shook my confidence so much I didn’t even approach the bike until recently to wash it and look more closely at the damage. Here’s what happened: I wanted to double check that the tail pack was completely zipped closed so when at a stop light I was trying to reach back to check it. I was having difficulty so I put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand down and half twisted around to check the zippers. The stupidity of my mistake is obvious to all: instead of keeping my right hand on the front brake and reach with the left I, in my gloriously stunning moment of brilliant stupidity, did the opposite. The stop light is situated at the bottom of a hill and there was just enough slant left in the pavement…. Well you can just SEE it, can’t you? Next thing I knew I was flat on my bake with a 650 lbs motorcycle on top of me. In traffic. With everyone watching! Glorious. I should never had gone out that day as I was very tired and very frustrated with dealing with other shit that life was throwing my way and really, really wanted to just get out for even a short ride. When you’re tired and not in a good mood, you are much more likely to make mistakes like this one. I don’t know how I forgot that simple thing but I did and paid the price.

At least someone helped me get it up but I pretty much strained my back doing most of the work. Anywho, check out the photos and bask in my glorious stupidity. All in all I got pretty lucky but I am verklempt.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plant Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire White Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Steering part Alloy wheel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about your back, just lay off of the kinky sex for a few days and you'll be all right. As for the bike, well, they say chicks dig scars...
Glad you weren't really hurt...
Awwww, man. Lay off the kinky sex?!! Harsh....

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mistake 1, drop bike. Mistake 2, tell everyone on the forum about it :)

I’ve dropped bikes. The last time was three years ago. At a gas pump. Checking that my tail bag was zipped closed. Fortunately it was my Superduke GT. It had almost zero damage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mistake 1, drop bike. Mistake 2, tell everyone on the forum about it :)

I’ve dropped bikes. The last time was three years ago. At a gas pump. Checking that my tail bag was zipped closed. Fortunately it was my Superduke GT. It had almost zero damage.
About Mistake 2: Self flagellation is sometimes required to excise the demons of noobness.

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A
25 Posts
OK... first the good news: I’m not injured. At least not physically. My ego and my sense of self confidence have both been badly shaken. Also: the bike is, for the most part, good. It’s a little scratched now but at least none of the plastic was cracked or badly damaged. The left mirror didn’t snap off because it folded well, although it’s now sporting some ugly scuff marks and scratches. The left engine casing also has some ugly scratches on it as well as the left handlebar end weight and the left exhaust canister. Luckily, the left side frame slider did it’s job and took one for the team; preventing some very expensive and hard to find replacement of any side panels. So if anyone doubts that frame sliders can save your expensive bike from serious damage in a tip over let this silence those doubts: they work.

It was all the result of a silly, stupid and very publicly embarrassing mistake. It was such a noob thing to do. I’ve been riding for many, many years (since 1975 at least) and I can’t remember doing such a stupid, stupid thing. This happened a couple of weeks ago or so and it shook my confidence so much I didn’t even approach the bike until recently to wash it and look more closely at the damage. Here’s what happened: I wanted to double check that the tail pack was completely zipped closed so when at a stop light I was trying to reach back to check it. I was having difficulty so I put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand down and half twisted around to check the zippers. The stupidity of my mistake is obvious to all: instead of keeping my right hand on the front brake and reach with the left I, in my gloriously stunning moment of brilliant stupidity, did the opposite. The stop light is situated at the bottom of a hill and there was just enough slant left in the pavement…. Well you can just SEE it, can’t you? Next thing I knew I was flat on my bake with a 650 lbs motorcycle on top of me. In traffic. With everyone watching! Glorious. I should never had gone out that day as I was very tired and very frustrated with dealing with other shit that life was throwing my way and really, really wanted to just get out for even a short ride. When you’re tired and not in a good mood, you are much more likely to make mistakes like this one. I don’t know how I forgot that simple thing but I did and paid the price.

At least someone helped me get it up but I pretty much strained my back doing most of the work. Anywho, check out the photos and bask in my glorious stupidity. All in all I got pretty lucky but I am verklempt.
View attachment 81212 View attachment 81213 View attachment 81214
Metro Phil, no way we will criticize this incident. You are teaching all of us on the forum something to remember and think about. Thank you so much for sharing this.

·
Registered
2014 FJR-A
62 Posts
About Mistake 2: Self flagellation is sometimes required to excise the demons of noobness.

Hey, hey this is a family friendly forum.
Talk of that self flagellation of your noobness business belongs in the privacy of your own dungeon !! 😈😈

dan

A man's got to know his limitations. -- Dirty Harry

• Haha
Reactions: Metro Phil

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry, Metro Phil. I know personally how discouraging and disappointing that can be. The only good news, a good six months or more since mine fell over I can (mostly) look at the bike without crying and have 99% of my confidence back.

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
875 Posts
Sorry, Phil, I feel your pain.

I did the same a few months ago, in front of some new riding friends, in a gas station parking lot.

Best part is one of my new friends got it on video! 🤣

Yeah, I have been riding for 40 years, yeah, I know the bike is top heavy, at slow speeds, and yeah, ego got bruised, in front of my new friends...

But, I picked up Orion, dusted myself off, and off we rode. It is not the first time I dropped Orion, in a parking lot.

And I am guessing it won't be my last...

Reactions: Metro Phil

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
32 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse! Of the mistakes we can make, I'll take one like this over an "at speed" mistake any day. But I know how you feel.

A few years ago I was riding up a small, new to me mountain rd. Going slow as I was unfamiliar and rounded a turn to find that rocks an other debris had washed across the road. I was going slow enough to avoid and notify those behind me but it did take me out of the turn. It was early and I had a choice to go up next to a house or turn onto a little lawn. I chose the lawn as to not disturb the homeowner as going up the driveway would have put me next to their house. As I came to a stop and reached for the kill switch, at the same time I pulled the front brake. Probably pulled the brake way harder than needed as I was killing the engine at the same time. Front brake + wet grass = not good. At zero mph it flipped me down so hard onto my face, my knee put a 4" dent in the tank and I fractured my left hand.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,324 Posts
Congrats Phil, you made it into the club..... now dust yerself off and get back on the horse. All you can do.
It if helps, I've seen a lot worse damage than those pics you posted.... but really, yes, it sucks.

·
Registered
'18 GL1800 Goldwing, '98 Shadow VT1100T, '16 FJR 1300 (Sold)
161 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Bike's/cars (vehicles) can be fixed as my dad always used to say. If not, you get a new one, but cant get a new you! I realize your drop wasnt that damaging, but you get the point. Also you said it best and its the #1 thing I remember from my MSF course.. If you are not in the proper headspace, DO NOT get on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad to hear you are ok. Bike's/cars (vehicles) can be fixed as my dad always used to say. If not, you get a new one, but cant get a new you! I realize your drop wasnt that damaging, but you get the point. Also you said it best and its the #1 thing I remember from my MSF course.. If you are not in the proper headspace, DO NOT get on a motorcycle!
"If you are not in the proper headspace, DO NOT get on a motorcycle!" AMEN. Know where your head is at BEFORE you ride because if you ride without the proper headspace, that will be the first mistake you make....

·
Registered
2021 FJR
147 Posts
After my first drop, a couple days AFTER I’d install the T-Rex bars, I posted it here and someone gave me some great advice regarding the one small scratch it got and that is, don’t worry, over time the bike will acquire “the lived in look.” I liked that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts