FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this oil in their FJR. I have about 9500 miles on my 05 now and want to switch to synthetics and would appreciate any input from others on this forum. Thinking of Mobil 1 because of its easy availability.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless a new flavor has been released by mobil, the auto 15w50 red cap will be the type you can use for the FJR. If your store carries it there is a mobil synthetic motorcycle specific oil, 10w40 IIRC. You will have no problems with either.

If you go with any auto spec oil, just be sure to stay away from any oil with friction modifier additives.

A lot of guys are also using the Walmart stocked Shell Rotella T synthetic as well. A heavy duty synthetic oil which is a little cheaper the mobil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have allway use 5W50 Syntech by Castrol good quality and easy to find. Never have any problem, it have even help starting at cold weather.

·
Registered
192 Posts
mobil one

I've been using the mobil 1 for motorcycles (MX4T) for a couple of years and it works great. There is also a filter (M110 I believe) that works great on this bike. Auto zone carries the oil and filter or they can order it. Any good synthetic made for bikes is ok. Motul makes a good synthetic and they all cost about the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Waste of money imho. Yamaha recommend mobil 1 I know, but when I had my fazer I rang mobil up to ask about mobil 1 fully synthetic and the engineer at mobil said that it was only designed for race engines, for nomal road use it was overkill and no benefit would be gained.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have always used semi-synthetic in every bike I have owned (VFR's and FJR's. They have never had any problems.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Well synth we are on another flipping oil thread, how about what kind of oil filter do you use and think is the best?
Oh, I can hear the groaning already. Post up people, there are still some waiters out there, they will read anything.
Personal choice of oil filter is the Bosch72179 running Amsoil10W40 full synthetic. 59,000km and purrs like a tiger.

·
Registered
47 Posts
PureOne PL14610 Purolator Filter and Mobil1 15W50 Gold cap. Best possible combo, documented performance, quality, availability. Werd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is a Quote from Mobile 1

"Are there advantages to using synthetic oil in a motorcycle?

ExxonMobil offers three synthetic motor oils for motorcycles. Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have been specifically optimized for motorcycle applications, including transmission clutch performance and high-temperature operation such as air-cooled operation. Be sure to follow your owner's manual for recommended oil and filter change frequencies" end of quote.

Mobil 1 MX4T for our Machines. the transmission Gears break down Oil quickly the shear strength of Mobil 1 is one of the best.. Dinosaur Oils are not designed to be chopped and beat in our transmissions..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Purolator PL14610 with Amsoil 10W/40 moto since 600 miles. 17000 now and still looks and runs like a new bike. Going to send an oil sample into Blackstone labs next change to see what condition its in after 5000 miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
ACME We don't want to pay 3 times the real cost to use Oil from the Stealer... Plus you can get better Oil and filters from other places...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My boss uses the Mobil 1 in his '04. I have been sticking with Yamalube in my '05. I rode both recently back to back. His shifts a lot smoother than mine. I'm considering changing.

How does being synthetic affect the recycling? I suppose the oil recycling process can separate them, eh?

·
Registered
237 Posts
$2.75 for a quart of Yamalube hardly seems to be an outrageous price. Hey, I don't own Yamaha stock...I have been a BIG fan of Mobil 1, Amszoil and similar products, but running OEM products does have an advantage or 2. Specifically; with any sort of warranty issue I will guarantee you will experience less hassle from your dealer if you have factory products in your crankcase/transmission/rear drive. Yeah, I know all about the Magnusson-Moss Act; I also know I won't have to bother explaining its finer points to some service manager if I'm using Yamaha OEM stuff instead of some other product, no matter how much "better" it is. Let's face it...just about any name brand oil out there is pretty damn good. I have yet to see dozens of motorcycles lying by the side of the road, broken down due to lubrication failure. So, at least until the YES warranty is over, I'll spare the potential headache and keep with the Yamalube products. 8)

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Can't disagree with you. I have used the Yam brand stuff in everything since my '84 FJ1100 and have never had an oil related issue, ever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
question

Purolator PL14610 with Amsoil 10W/40 moto since 600 miles. 17000 now and still looks and runs like a new bike. Going to send an oil sample into Blackstone labs next change to see what condition its in after 5000 miles.
Hi Eric,
...sending an oil sample? This is a new idea to me. None of my riding crowd has mentioned this.
Do you do this often? For each vehicle? What insights do you hope to gain? Thanks, Padre

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Hi Eric,
...sending an oil sample? This is a new idea to me. None of my riding crowd has mentioned this.
Do you do this often? For each vehicle? What insights do you hope to gain? Thanks, Padre
The post is from 2006.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A
443 Posts
Close to a new record....14+ year old thread ....

Attachments

Reactions: Padre
1 - 20 of 27 Posts