FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a few weeks of non use I went to use the bike yesterday and someone has nicked all the air out of the rear tyre.

On visual investigation I can see no sign of a punture or find any form of air loss, so were has it all gone.

When time allows I'll take the wheel off and run it through a bowl of water to see if I can find anything but if I can't, I really will be at a loss as to were all the air went.

On a positive note, not being able to use the bike did mean more time for :ale:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Keith,
Tyres do go down mine loses 5lbs in 2 weeks it's just the aluminium wheels as they are porous. Otherwise check your valve stem first as they sometimes aren’t seated correctly.
At lest you are checking them a lot don’t! 8)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've left the bike for longer over winter and never come back to a flat tyre.

At the moment I'm baffled. The only difference this time is the temperature in the UK being quite high so I was thinking along the lines of something has expanded.

Still may run the rear through water just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
On the valve, put a blob of spit on top of the valve core, will show a bubble if it's leaking. As already said, plus the base of the valve stem. Use soapy water for that if you haven't got enough spit...........

Place the wheel flat on the ground, place soapy water all the way round the wheel/tyre bead and watch. Use soapy water and a brush around the tyre and watch each section as you do it.

If I'm telling you how to suck eggs - sorry

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Keith, I had a similar experience, and despite carefully checking every little nick I could find on my tyre with soapy water, I could not find the leak. It would leak about 8PSI over a 2-hour ride, or half the pressure overnight. If I could have found the leak I would have plugges it (the tyre had one plug already and I was using it as a 'test bed').

After about 1000k's of pumping and riding I found the culprit when the tyre was changed over. Here is the spot from the outside AFTER the offending piece of wire was removed (you can probably spot which mark is IT):

and this is what it looked like from inside:

The offending item was approx twice the diameter of a standard pin, and was invisible from the outside. I had checked the tyre about 4 or 5 times coating every possible cause I could see with soapy water or bubble solution, and couldn't find it, even with the tyre inflated to 50PSI.

Happy hunting :twisted:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Eventually found time to take it to the tyre shop and they couldn't find anything wrong either so a quick screw driver in the tyre and a hey presto a new Avon fitted as it was still under warrenty :D .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.