FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have not been able to ride this year at all due to health concerns. It's about to kill me. I keep telling myself, "it's gonna get better"! Anyone here ride after spine surgery?

·
Premium Member
2008 FJR1300 A
159 Posts
A couple of years ago I was limited by a c-spine issue. I had 2-level disc replacement. All’s good ever since. Not as major as many spine procedures tho.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
No spine surgery but I can sympathize. Hate it when I can't ride. Sorry to hear and hope you get back on the road soon.

·
Premium Member
2022 FJR
19 Posts
I had a total knee replacement done last year and had to take a few months off riding, so I know how you feel. Every time I walked out into the garage I would have to swing a leg over to see if I could get the foot on the peg and support the bike yet.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,576 Posts
Lower back repaired in '97, took about 2 months to drive again. Hip replaced in Jan 2019, riding again in March. Don't be a wuss, just do it! :p

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wishing you all the best.
I’ll take a different point of view here. Take care of your health first. Worst case is you never ride again. If that happens, find another hobby and be grateful that you’re still above ground. Yes, I’d hate to give up riding, but if it came down to my health vs riding, I’d quit in a second.
Life is too short; find something else you can love and take up a new hobby.
Now, if you can eventually ride, take your time and be careful.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Red, major back reconstruction here last July. I haven’t ridden in 2 years because I really couldn’t lift my leg over the bike initially and if I did I had trouble holding it up, particularly my fastest color red Fjr. i was on the fence and was figuring I’d sell everything this spring which was just killing me.

i have a number of bikes (14, 6 rideable) and I figured I’d sell everything but the 76 Wing I bought new, but I was having issues with getting motivated to actually do that. But after doing physical therapy 2-3 times a week since about October last year to improve my strength & balance, I’ve improved, not perfect but improved.

So about a month ago I got my FJR, 76 Wing & my 81 CBX out and cleaned them up and prepped/photographed them in preparation to sell them. So in the end I convinced myself to take them for a spin around the block (about 4mi) to get them hot and blow the water out of the nooks & crannies. I was hooked again !

So I’ve ridden the Fjr to therapy a couple of times now which is about 60mi round trip and yesterday I did that with my 76 wing and I just couldn’t quit smiling in spite of the 100deg air temps.

My neurosurgeon said I was the very worst he’d ever seen and truly expected me to die over the first 2 weeks after surgery but I guess God’s not done with me ! I still walk with a cane on occasion.

So, I would say a couple of things here, patience ! And if you’re not doing physical therapy do it! I am still doing it 2-3 times a week, I work in a therapy pool and then in the gym. I feel like I’ve plateaued at this point but i can live with this as I can do more than I thought I’d be able to, i can’t “bull” through things like I could just a few years ago but I can ride and do a lot of things now, just takes longer but I can ! So after my 2 month adventure in the hospital last year it was figured I’d be in a wheel chair or need a walker at the least but I’m walking unaided most of the time now.

So Red, just keep after it ,do the physical therapy and if you really want it, work for it ! Let us know how you’re doing !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Red and Bob, my riding heart goes out to you both. I hope and pray your recovery goes well and the chance to ride again comes sooner than later.

Reactions: CollingsBob

·
Registered
877 Posts
6 broken ribs, 1 punctured lung, 1 broken shoulder blade from a tank slapper on my newly restored Vincent on June 4th.
Yep..I miss riding, but right now I can’t even cough without pain killers.
6 yikes. I had one and it REALLY sucked for 3-4 weeks🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: CollingsBob
1 - 11 of 11 Posts