FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a question for all the mid TN people... I need to have the brake recall done on my 2013 but I am kind of hesitant because I have never had a bike in any shop. Anyone that has has any work done at any dealership in the Mid TN area, what dealership do you recommend?

I've been to Sloan's plenty and like them (but not been in service there). I've also been to Cool Springs Powersports and didn't really like the sales staff but I don't have experience with the service people.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
You could look here: Dealer Locator

Enter your state or zipcode and search for motorcycle dealers. Then you can see each dealer's Technician Certification Rating:

Map Rectangle Slope Line Font

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sloan’s did my tranny and brake switch recall and I have no complaints besides claiming my water pump was leaking.
It was sweating around a weep hole, not what I would call a floor dripping leak.
They did a good job and kept me informed.

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,213 Posts
It’s a big deal for sure. I was the first to have the recall done at my dealer. One guy, with a proven record, was the only one to touch it. Tens of thousands of miles later, zero issues from the work done by the shop, zero issues from the stuff prescribed by Yamaha for the recall, parts, software, or otherwise.

Except for a few days in the shop, it’s like it (the recall) never happened.

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@WRXer is it just the front end plastic that needs to be removed? Are you able to still ride it in?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The black cowl that faces trhe rider & surrounds the gauges & covers the battery (removing these is no different than if you needed to service the battery). Then the black V shaped cover on the front. Once this is out you will see all the connectors. I tried doing this without removing the windshield & its cross bracket but not enough clearance to lift it off the tabs wiithout doing so. I'm riding it in like that with those pcs removed. The only colored pcs that get removed are the little covers over the windshield screws. The dealer will then unbolt the right handlebar & unsnip some plastic ties to get the switch & its long wire to the connector out. The dealer has done it more than me but I wanted to know how it comes off & I am stripping this thing over the winter to completely go thru it anyway (new acquired used bike) so no sense in having the dealer remove it, reinstall it, then I get it home & have to remove it all again. Worst part is unsnapping that big back black cowl surrounding the gauges from the side colored fairings but again if you pull your battery for winter or ever need to change it Yamaha expects you to do it anyway.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took bike in...left the dealerhsip with my arranged ride......then got a call 2 hours later the dealer had no swiitch....didnt even occur to them to call me to tell me to not bring it in even though I TOLD them to do so if they had trouble gettign the part. Hell, they could of told me when I handed them the keys! Pretty typical dealership experience for me really.

·
Registered
2013 FJR 1300A
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That sucks @WRXer. The dealership I reached out to (Sloans in Murfreesboro) said that they would call me when they get the part in to schedule service.

·
Registered
186 Posts
One dealer I went to told me that the brake switch was a "do not ride" recall and that they would have to keep my bike until the part came in and they installed it. The other dealer took my VIN, ordered the part and called me when they had it in hand (took about a month). I rode 80 miles over to the shop and they did the repair while I waited. Took slightly over 2 hours, as it was the first they had done.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Yes they order the switch per vin #. Once that happens I don't think another dealer can order the switch form Yamaha for that vin #. Took about three weeks for my switch to come in. I also took off all the plastic. Just have a hard time trusting due to past problems.

·
Registered
381 Posts
That sucks @WRXer. The dealership I reached out to (Sloans in Murfreesboro) said that they would call me when they get the part in to schedule service.
They did the same with me.
I called to set up an appointment but they said they would do so after the parts got here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts