FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
69023482_2487262751337470_4271104612322246656_n.jpg

Screenshot (6).png

States September 2019 Availability.....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Friend had such bad experience with R5 that for me there are too many other good tires at lower cost to think I will ever bother with an R5GT. He loved PR4's but that was discontinued when the R5 was released. Now I fear the excellent PR4GT will disappear.

Reactions: Red On Rockwell

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What was your friends experience?

·
Registered
92 Posts
FYI, two guys with big Sport Touring BMWs, different models, in riding group both had PR5 on front and both lasted about 3,000 miles. Both went back to PR4gt.
FYI, they both also had a broken thermostat which their bikes was overheating. Thermostat broke in two when removed from both bikes. Both bikes were also out of commission for about two weeks wait on the part.

Both the tires and thermostat happen on both bikes this year, about a month apart from each other.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
I have about 1800 miles on a set of Road 5s and they still look like new. I just installed a set on Pop's '14, we are about to head out on a 4500+ mile trip. I hope they return the performance I am accustomed to. Either way I will post up the results.

In about 3 weeks!0:)

Edit: Went and checked my Maintenance Menu, I have 1800 miles on the Road5s. Not 2100 miles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Have the Road 5s on my bike also with about 4k miles.

Safe Travels...

Reactions: passx and Redfish

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I just crossed 12k on my front pr4 with a lot of tread left, I was skeptical when it was put on to try to cure my head shake problem (bearings) and was quite expensive but it’s lasting very well and seems to be a good handler as well. Gonna be a while before it’s changed. Don’t know about the pr5’s but we’ll see.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
What was your friends experience?
Rear:
PR4 11,xxx miles
RS3 11,300
RS3 9,300
R5 7,200 miles, plus he was complaining about how it rode the last 3,000.

His front R5 is wearing at similar rate as the rear.

Some get comparable mileage on R5 as PR4 but have noticed not all do. I suspect there is a fast wearing batch of R5s out there, and others which are not.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
1973 Kawasaki KE100
In 1973 the Kawasaki 100 was called a G5, the Trailboss version with dual range transmission was a G4TR. G5 didn't become a KS100 until 1976 or so, and a couple years later all the KS's became KE's.

One day I'll scan a negative of my G4TR. Put 14,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The PR4GTs on my '09 are at 11,500mi and while there's tread left, the steering's getting hinkey, so I called the local dealer, Rich's Yamaha in Lockport, IL. They have several sets of 4GTs on hand as they have a good FJR clientele.
There will be one of those sets on my bike this week. Easily the best performance and value of any tire of any bike I've ever had.
Meanwhile, The Missus was doing her very first track day last weekend and the rubber on her recently-acquired '04 SV650S was doing quite well but was out of date and a bit worn- she did 3500 miles on the thing in the first three months. The old ones were Pirelli Diablo Corso II or something, and they felt really, really good. Plus, they stuck in the wet just fine.
Needing good tires to pass tech, we got PR5s (not GTs, of course) installed and neither of us liked the steering change. She described the initial impression as "riding on the point of a hard pencil". My impression was that the initial turn-in was a bit hard; once it was over in the full lean things were fine. The rain-traction reputation of the tire is a plus, though. That has not been tested.
In the end, she's riding the bike and has adapted to the tires. They did a fine job of builder her newer-rider's confidence on track day, too, so that's a win.
Whether these points apply to the coming 5GT remains to be seen.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
R5 not PR5. Not Pilot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
In 1973 the Kawasaki 100 was called a G5, the Trailboss version with dual range transmission was a G4TR. G5 didn't become a KS100 until 1976 or so, and a couple years later all the KS's became KE's.

One day I'll scan a negative of my G4TR. Put 14,000 miles on it.
Well I guess I had the Trailboss version. I remember you switched from low to high with a shifter on the left handlebar.

Looked like this....

imageproxy.jpg

http://sebskawasaki.blogspot.com/2012/08/final-assembly.html

Thanks for correcting me...:grin2:

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I was trying to be nice and resist saying that. But you just couldn't help yourself could you?

0:)
Well, if an R5 is a PR5 then an FJR is an FJ. And OEM is OE. And everything is something it is not.

Reactions: wheaton and Redfish

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Well, if an R5 is a PR5 then an FJR is an FJ. And OEM is OE. And everything is something it is not.
I hear you brother. I wanted to point out the error but since I usually come off as The Villain...

So Pop and I are leaving on a 4500+ mile ride in the morning. On Road 5s! I will post up when/if I get back on how they performed.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Okay, just got home. Almost two weeks in all sorts of conditions. The Michelin Road 5s did make the entire 5000 mile trip.

As the trip went our opinion of the Road 5s changed somewhat. I will post up some pics and better numbers soon.

Day 1: I really like these tires!
Day 2: I still like these tires.
Day 3: My tires are wearing funny.
Day 4: Are these tires supposed to look like this?
Day 5: I sure hope this front tire lasts the entire trip.
Day 6: My front tire is vibrating the entire bike.
Day 7: I am not really liking these tires anymore.

At the end of the trip: These Road5s suck. They never stopped gripping but they look awful, feel awful and the front wears much too quickly.

If/When Michelin gives us a Road 5 GT I may reconsider but as of now I will be going back to the PR4GT or possibly the Pirelli Angel GT.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
At the end of the trip: These Road5s suck. They never stopped gripping but they look awful, feel awful and the front wears much too quickly.
Both ends wear too quick for the price. Questionable at half the price.

If/When Michelin gives us a Road 5 GT I may reconsider but as of now I will be going back to the PR4GT or possibly the Pirelli Angel GT.
When the Road 5 appeared the PR4 disappeared. With the R5GT supposedly coming Real Soon Now you need to snag a supply of PR4GT while you can.

The difference between PR4 and PR4GT was slight. Many can not tell the difference. I wouldn't expect much difference between R5 and R5GT.

What was Michelin thinking with the R5?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts