FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
I liked the T30s much better than the stock BT023s. THe next to last road trip, I needed to replace the rear T30. The shop in Oregon didn't have any T30s so I had them put on a PR4. That was about 5000 miles ago. I estimate the rear is less than half gone.

Today, I replaced the front (it was down to the wear bar) with a Road 5.

The front T30GT lasted 16000 miles. The rear lasted about 12000. I figure I could have safely gone another 1000 miles on the rear.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Wow! My best is 8700 miles on a front PR4GT, 11,000 on rear PR4GT. Chipseal on TN back roads is sharp and hard on tires.

Front
Miles tire
06201 BT023
08711 PR4GT
07984 Angel GT-A
08026 RS3
07667 RS3
<TBD> T30 Evo GT

Rear
10004 BT23
10943 PR4GT
09409 RS3
08759 RS3
<TBD> T30 Evo GT

Oh, and I wear tires until they are bald but not down to cords.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I'm not as good at holding on to data as you are, but I can tell you that the PR4GT's I ran previously were the longest lasting set of tires I've had on this bike.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I'm not as good at holding on to data as you are, but I can tell you that the PR4GT's I ran previously were the longest lasting set of tires I've had on this bike.
I have this app on iPad (Road Trip HD) and on iPhone (not HD) to record fuel purchases and maintenance reminders and log. The two sync data automatically. Plots MPG and other fun things.

Road Trip HD by Darren Stone

Attachments

Reactions: Bill Lumberg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Belts showing through on the outer edges, I just wore out a set of the Road 5 after only 4500 miles of mostly solo. Usually get 5-6000 miles on a PR4GT mostly two up riding.

This is the first tire that I wore the outer edges before the middle (usually the other way around). To me, they also feel less sticky than the PR4GT, and do not inspire as much confidence. I ride twisties in the hills of Kentucky and W. Virginia and had a few times where the tire slipped in spots I never would have had issues before.

I don't ride in the rain, so wet performance doesn't matter, but looking at the tread design, I don't see how a Road 5 can perform better in the wet when there are less sipes/grooves than a PR4GT. Also, the big "trapezoidal" grooves that get bigger as the tire wears, create an uneven surface and a vibration develops when leaned over.

I am not a fan of these tires and have replaced with Metzler Sport Tec M3. $200 a set and supposed to last around the same as a PR4. We will see.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
speaking of a Road 5:
This is the first tire that I wore the outer edges before the middle (usually the other way around). To me, they also feel less sticky than the PR4GT, and do not inspire as much confidence. I ride twisties in the hills of Kentucky and W. Virginia and had a few times where the tire slipped in spots I never would have had issues before.
I wore the left inside off two Roadsmart 3's in succession. That was my first time to wear a side off first. And probably my last Roadsmart 3.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
I like tires that make me not think of tires. 4GT's probably do that better for me than any other tires I've tried. But the Road 5's I have yet to try.
Bill keep us updated when you put the road 5's on. With the milage you put on, it'll be interesting to hear your comparison to the PR4's.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Belts showing through on the outer edges, I just wore out a set of the Road 5 after only 4500 miles of mostly solo. Usually get 5-6000 miles on a PR4GT mostly two up riding.

I don't ride in the rain, so wet performance doesn't matter, but looking at the tread design, I don't see how a Road 5 can perform better in the wet when there are less sipes/grooves than a PR4GT. Also, the big "trapezoidal" grooves that get bigger as the tire wears, create an uneven surface and a vibration develops when leaned over.

I am not a fan of these tires and have replaced with Metzler Sport Tec M3. $200 a set and supposed to last around the same as a PR4. We will see.
Seems to me that they have been advertising that the Road 5's are looking to be better in the wet, which leads me to believe they gave up some hard tones for soft tones....

Clearly if anyone follows racing - or tire construction.... wet weather tires burn up fast on dry tracks, and racing teams are within seconds of rain dissipating to get back to slicks, which have a much better composition for balance of dealing with heat and extended life in the heat.... with that said, track tires and road / sport touring tires that handle weight and distance are not truly consistent but it def applies...

I have had 2 sets of Pilot Road 4 GT's on my 2015 now, getting 9000 miles on each set which is almost pushing it looking at them today.... but I can't complain for sure.....

Spending money on tires is a NO COMPROMISE item for me, I don't care what they cost, and honestly I don't care how many miles I get from them, its the only thing that keeps me attached to the road, and me not sliding down it.... there is no money in the world that is more important to spend on, TIRES - especially on a bike.... and I spend big money on tires for cares and trucks....

I've had great luck with the PR4-GT and if RushNatU says he burnt the Road 5's up that fast - it'd suggest to me they are after glue to the road in all conditions.

Still with that said, I'll stick with the PR4-GT's for another year.... my confidence in all seasonal applications, wet, hot, semi gravel on turns..... they have been spectualur !!! Off to order another set....

I still have a set of BT-023's that came with the bike and have never seen a mile for sale if anyone is interested....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Friend with Road 5 is not happy. 4500 miles, 2/3rds original tread gone, and said to be the first and only rear tire he feels squirm in turns. Previously he got 11,000 miles out of PR4s on the rear. Considering how the tread wears slower toward the end he might get 7,000 to 9,000 out of this one.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm on my second set of PR4's. I got 11,500 miles out of my last set. I could have pushed them a few more miles if I wanted. But they were pretty squared off from a lot of highway riding. There are a few things in life that truly make me happy, a new set of tires are one of them... 🌞

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have PR5s on my bike. They will be my last. At about two thousand miles on them in the Smoky Mountains I could already feel the steering getting heavier. They now have about 5,000 miles on them. The steering is worse and you can see a little scalloping on the front tire. This is the same reason I quit running 3s and 4s. But I took a chance on the 5s because they changed the sipes so much.

I’m going to run them until they need replacing. Then will decide what to put on it next. I have Avon Storm 3Ds on my Superduke GT and so far am very impressed with them. Might try them on the FJR.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have PR5s on my bike. They will be my last. At about two thousand miles on them in the Smoky Mountains I could already feel the steering getting heavier. They now have about 5,000 miles on them. The steering is worse and you can see a little scalloping on the front tire. This is the same reason I quit running 3s and 4s. But I took a chance on the 5s because they changed the sipes so much.

I'm going to run them until they need replacing. Then will decide what to put on it next. I have Avon Storm 3Ds on my Superduke GT and so far am very impressed with them. Might try them on the FJR.
I'm on my second front and first rear with the PR5s and I'm glad it's not just me that is already done with them. The front was scallopped, flat, and created speed wobble also at around 5-6k miles. I'm 3k miles on the second front and I see the same wear patterns forming again. When I swapped on the second front I had the steering bears replaced with tapered ones hoping that maybe it was somehow causing bad tire wear. I have been diligently checking tire pressure too but nope, these tires just wear fast. The rear after 6-7k miles is also real close to needing a replacement already. I've heard good things with the Pirelli Angel GTs so those will be going on next.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm going to run them until they need replacing. Then will decide what to put on it next. I have Avon Storm 3Ds on my Superduke GT and so far am very impressed with them. Might try them on the FJR.
I have the storms on my MT09 tracer and impressed also. Btw i gave up on the pr4s and went back to bt23gt for the fjr, i know there's not much love for them but i can't fault them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have the storms on my MT09 tracer and impressed also. Btw i gave up on the pr4s and went back to bt23gt for the fjr, i know there's not much love for them but i can't fault them.
I actually was very pleased with the 023s also. I took them off at about 4,700 miles with quite a bit of tread on them. I was getting ready to take a 3700 mile trip and didn't want to risk it. I will consider them.

Reactions: N4HHE

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I actually was very pleased with the 023s also. I took them off at about 4,700 miles with quite a bit of tread on them. I was getting ready to take a 3700 mile trip and didn't want to risk it. I will consider them.
The only complaint I had against the BT023 GT OE tire was how the front was bald at 6200 miles. I think the rear would have gone 11,000 but replaced at 10,000. Have considered another BT023 rear.

Most every other front delivered 8,000 or 8,700 miles but for 3,600 from Shinko 016, 4750 from the rear.

Mounted a set of R5s for a friend I ride with. The rear is the first tire in 85,000 miles I know of that he has complained about.

Reactions: jjscsix

·
Registered
1 Posts
DO NOT put Michelin road 5 tires on your fjr. I bought my fjr last summer and put me front and back tires on it. I put 2,000 miles on the tires and it is down to the wear bars and they need replaced. These tires are abslolute junk. They may be fine for lighter sport bikes but not for the fjr. I'm getting ready to buy a set of Pirelli Angel GT A specs which are made for heavier sport bikes. Heard good reviews on the angel GTs hoping they last much longer than the Michelin pilot 5s or I'm gonna be beokr!, Because I absolutely love my fjr. Best motorcycle I have ever owned!!!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I’ve consistently enjoyed longer mileage out of PR4GT tires then any other tire. I had Road 5’s on my last bike when I traded it. They had thousands of miles on them and still looked brand new. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another set.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have just about 3000 miles on my Road5s and they are only thru 1/3 of the tread using a tread gauge. So far, they are wearing better than my 023's did.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Today I passed 6,000 miles on my Road 5 GT's. No complaints here. Tires still look good with plenty of tread. They ride fine, no handling quirks, no excess road noise, have not slipped in rain or snow. So far I am very pleased with them.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts