FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder when they will make a Michelin Pilot Road 5 GT series Tires for the FJR?

Running the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tires and very happy but eager to try the 5 Series.....

Have a Major trip planed in middle October.

Would love to give them a workout then.....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Michelin dropped "Pilot" from the new Road 5.

Perhaps they are slow to make a Road 5 GT because GT isn't necessary? The only difference between PR4 and PR4GT is a slight difference in handling and feel. And marketing F.U.D. to instill fear of non-GT tires on "heavy sport tourers." The load ratings and maximum tire pressures are the same for PR4 and PR4GT, and same for Pirelli A-Spec.

If you find the Road 5 to be of interest then go ahead and mount a set. If a GT version appears in the future then replace your worn out R5s with R5GTs and let us know of the difference, if any.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have R5s and are very happy with them, but I can't say they handle differently than R4's. I bought them because they are supposed to be better in the rain than the R4's, and much of Florida is prone to afternoon showers, in the summer.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<snip> The only difference between PR4 and PR4GT is a slight difference in handling and feel. And marketing F.U.D. to instill fear of non-GT tires on "heavy sport tourers." The load ratings and maximum tire pressures are the same for PR4 and PR4GT, and same for Pirelli A-Spec.

<snip>[/QUOTE]

Add to 'the only difference' - GT spec have two ply carcass on the Pirelli, standard has single ply carcass. But of course that is just marketing isn't it... I don't know the actual technical differences between the two carcasses on the Michelin but Michelin state: 'Pilot Road 4 GT has a stiffer casing...' - but am sure that is just marketing too...

·
Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
8,096 Posts
Agree.. in practical use, I haven't found much advantage in mileage with GT.. which in theory the stiffer sidewall gives you... still not as stiff as a Bridgestone.

Reactions: Barry58

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Add to 'the only difference' - GT spec have two ply carcass on the Pirelli, standard has single ply carcass. But of course that is just marketing isn't it... I don't know the actual technical differences between the two carcasses on the Michelin but Michelin state: 'Pilot Road 4 GT has a stiffer casing...' - but am sure that is just marketing too...
Yes, that is what I said. It is marketing to infer you need a stiffer carcass, which only serves to make a slight difference in handling and feel. It is not a matter of safety, capacity, or capability.

Just what a manufacturer does is up to the manufacturer. GT/A-Spec tires have exactly the same load rating as all other tires of the same size. There is no industry standard as to who "needs" GT/A-Spec or even what it is, it is all marketing.

If you like the PR4GT over the PR4 (or vice versa) then great! That is what marketing is all about. That is why there is a new Road 5, for you to believe a 5 must be better than a 4. Why Bridgestone replaced T30 with T31, BT021 replaced with BT023. That if one has choices one will find a favorite and stick with it, and hopefully follow and buy the New And Improved version next year. Marketing.

GT/A-Spec is not a safety issue.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My point to the OP...

I have owned a couple of FJR’s and ridden a lot of miles on them - a lot of those miles heavily loaded, two-up. I’ve had “GT” construction tyres on both FJR’s, as well as ‘standard’ construction. When lightly loaded, I can’t say I noticed much if any difference between ‘standard’ and ‘gt’ tyres. When loaded for bear though, I found the GT’s to be more stable through corners, fast and slow. The bike felt ‘lighter’ with easier turn-in. Certainly more confidence inspiring IMO.

Those are my seat of the pants experiences over a number of years, with Bridgestone ‘standard’ tyres, Dunlop ‘standard’ tyres, pirelli angel GT ‘a’ spec, and continental road Attack 3 GT spec.

Hope it helps in your decision making process.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Tires.......you have to have them! I haven't purchased a tire yet that I could push beyond its capability. I've had tires that I did not like because "in my opinion" they didn't give good feedback of the road. Too stiff possibly. I've had tires that gave a cushy feel when pushing fast through tight curves. I've also had tires slip in tight fast curves through no fault of the tire. Just me going in too fast, braking which caused the weight to reduce on the rear tire and then laying on the throttle theough the curve. Riding two up loaded for a trip may cause a tire to feel different. I ride solo so I have no idea. Solo riding on many different bikes with many different tire brands and versions finally brought me to the conclusion that much of the advertising is more hype than creditable fact unless you have the skill to actually use the tire to its maximum capability... The Michelin Pilot 4's that have become so popular take a back seat to the Metzler Z6's for me. I do like the handling of the Michelin Pilot 4 in the rain over the Metzler but I spend way more time on dry roads so I just slow down somewhat with the Metzler's on wet roads. The difference in mileage on a rear tire between the Metzler and the Michelin (for me) is about 2,000 miles more from the Michelin. I pay roughly $100 for the Metzler and much more for the Michelin. Metzler Z6 is being discontinued so now I have to find another tire as my go to tire... Did I mention what type of oil I use.......😂

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Years ago I worked for Goodyear tire when radials were first coming out (very long time ago) and they would do seminars for us to help us understand the differences between radials and bias ply tires as well as construction traits and differences.

Belt/ply methods and construction really stuck with me because the belt (ply’s) angles made a big difference in stiffness which affects load capability, and handling (stiffer=quicker) and more piy’s Reduces the carcass’s ability to squirm which should increase the longevity.

It is all a balancing act where for example you run more ply’s so you can run a softer durometer rubber, so what does it all mean ? You Pick the tire with the characteristics that suit your riding style and the feel that appeals to you, basically personal taste. Me? I prefer more ply’s because it gives the tire more structural integrity and strength.

Personally a single ply tire makes me cringe but materials and construction technique’s are way better than they were when I was at g-year so it’s hard to say absolutely this is the best tire, that’s why there is so many choice’s today. Buy what you like !

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Way back when, tire ply count was used as the metric for load carrying capacity. This is a mistake for measuring the motions the manufacture has gone through vs the result achieved. Later replaced with “ply rating” as opposed to an actual ply count.

A heavier high ply tire might carry heavier load but in being heavier generates more internal heating from friction. Can not generalize tire structure and fabrication to predict end results. Same for tires and motor oil. The only thing that really matters is the actual performance of the final product.

Perhaps the nastiest tire I have experienced was the infamous Chen Shin 6-ply knobby in the mid 1970’s. Cheap. Very difficult to mount. Fast wearing. But it was cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered a set of Road 5’s. Soon as they shipped a friend pointed out that on Michelin’s website it states the current Road 5 is for naked lighter naked bikes like the SV650. It states there is a Road 5GT coming out in 2019 for larger full fairing bikes like the BMW R1200.

So now I’m not sure if I should return the Road 5 to be safe or not. Getting ready to hit the road for a 5k mile ride up into Canada.

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
The cool thing about the Road 5 is the pyramid cut sipes that get wider as the tire wears. Half worn it performs as well as a new PR 4.

But I prefer a slightly stickier tire. If I lived in Florida, I would try the Pirelli-owned Metzeler Roadtec 01 which is basically an Angel GT with more sipes for rain.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I just ordered a set of Road 5's. Soon as they shipped a friend pointed out that on Michelin's website it states the current Road 5 is for naked lighter naked bikes like the SV650. It states there is a Road 5GT coming out in 2019 for larger full fairing bikes like the BMW R1200.

So now I'm not sure if I should return the Road 5 to be safe or not. Getting ready to hit the road for a 5k mile ride up into Canada.
Use it anyway. Every tire rides different from every other tire. "GT" is not a performance specification, it is a marketing differentiation saying only that the tire is tuned different than the non-GT version. And means different things depending on manufacturer.

The only way to know what works for you is to try both flavors. Others are happy to let the internet tell them what is best. Not to say the internet is useless. An Angel GT wears longer than an Angel ST. But GT doesn't mean to Pirelli what it means to Michelin.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I prefer a PR4GT when I'm riding loaded and two up with the wife, but I've never felt unsafe with regular tires. I have a set of Road 5's (non GT) in my garage right now. They'll go on when I wear out the set of PR4GT's I have on now.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Pirelli Angel GT comes in two flavours - the standard tyre, and an “A” spec for heavier bikes.

Angel ST is a completely different tyre to the GT - the ST is a previous generation.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Road 5 is not intended to replace the PR4 GT. I'm not saying it won't work fine for most, but I don't think it's better for two-up loaded.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I would think that the 5 is intended to replace the 4. As was the 4 to the 3 to the 2.
Yes, that there hasn't been a Road 1, 2, 3, or 4, and will not be a Pilot Road 5 (unless the Road 5 proves to be a stinker), the choice of Road 5 for the name strongly states it is to be the heir apparent to the Pilot Road series.

Am really liking my T30 Evo GTs after 2 sets of RS3s. Don't know yet about how long they will last. Sad to see them discontinued. Glad to have bought at closeout prices. Have Shinko 016s in waiting but if they stink I'll be looking at T31 options.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts