FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snagged a nail in the rear tire yesterday (rats!). While at the shop for a new one I was asked Bridgestone or Metzler? I said Bridgestone because I'd heard about the Metzler troubles on the front and don't want to be part of the statistic if problems start to show on the rears as well. The parts guy checks the 'fiche and found that Yamaha no longer lists Metzler as an option for fronts.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ordered a set of 020's friday at work...liked the stick of the 6's but 5000 is not near enough miles and the 020's stick just as well for me

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
fjrville said:
ordered a set of 020's friday at work...liked the stick of the 6's but 5000 is not near enough miles and the 020's stick just as well for me
I found that the Mich Pilot Roads stick as well, or better, than the BT020s, last about twice as long, and don't cup in the front like the BT020s.

The Avon ST45/46s are about as long-lived and handle well, but the risk of snagging a bad sample, while small, still seems higher than the Mich PRs.

--update--
My rear Avon is near the wear bars with only 7000 miles on it. The 2 sets of Pilot Roads lasted 9000 and 9200 miles, with the latter having enough to do 10,000 miles but swapped early due to a trip.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's a good thing then as the Z6 on my front sucks big time. About 3500 miles on it and it flops into turns and tracks the rain grooves all facockta. Rear is fine but the front's gotta go... Never again will there be Metz's on my bike. Gonna try Mich's next. Avon's the best so far for me...

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
fjrville said:
I'd LOVE to get 5,000 miles from any brand. 020's are as good as any I've tried as to mileage/traction trade off.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I haven't found the 020s to wear any more or less than any of the others mentioned, they did lose their shape prematurely, though. (cupping / scalloping)

Dry grip and wear is actually quite uniform across the tires mentioned, but the shape, profile and tread of the tire give them different 'feel' characteristics.

I liked the feel of the Pirelli Diablo Stradas best (a virtual clone of manufacture to the Z6) then the Avons, then Dunlop 220s (which I found to wear very quickly), then 020s. I really didn't like the feel of the Z4s.

I think I'm the only guy in the world that doesn't like the feel of Pilot Powers, or Pilot Roads. To me they always feel vague and unsure before settling in to full lean (where they stick fine.)

All of the brands of tires I wore out before 3000 miles on the FJR;
Z4s, Z6s, Avons, 020s, D220s, 014s, and yes, Diablo Stradas. The FJR's a heavy bike, capable of lots of performance... under heavy use, the tires don't stand a chance, really.

:)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The Z4 was the only 'official' Metzeler for the FJR, and now they no longer make them it stands to reason that they would be removed from the recommended list.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
marshman said:
The Z4 was the only 'official' Metzeler for the FJR, and now they no longer make them it stands to reason that they would be removed from the recommended list.
Good point :!:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm trying to think of something I dont like about the Azaro's. IMO, they are virtually made for the FJR. To wear out a set in 3000 miles, liquid must be really getting after it.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
No commuting. Frequent 'heavy use.'

Not too bad... the R1 polishes its Diablos off in 1500 - 1700 miles, or 3 track days.

:)

·
Registered
405 Posts
TWOWHEELNUT: Facockta? I haven't heard that in years. Grinning from ear to ear, if I could figure out emoticons (emoticons?) I'd throw a few in.
[/b]

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found that the Mich Pilot Roads stick as well, or better, than the BT020s, last about twice as long, and don't cup in the front like the BT020s.

The Avon ST45/46s are about as long-lived and handle well, but the risk of snagging a bad sample, while small, still seems higher than the Mich PRs.
I know the US experience of Mich and Avon for the fjr is good, but as my trusted tyre fitter said "The're not recommended brands in the uk- you fit them at your peril!"

Paul
01 fjr
uk

·
Registered
215 Posts
OK So I am dumb
What is a Facockta
I have heard of SNAFU etc and I am guessing
it has a similar meaning

·
Registered
56 Posts
I looked up Yiddish expressions and came up with 'Farkockta,' meaning messed up, $hitty.
I, too, had heard it before, probably from my wife's family who are from New York.

When I changed out my Metzlers for Avons, the dealer had me feel the side walls of the Z4. I could fold over the side wall with my hands. They were very flimsy. I could not do the same with the Avons.

Ron 'Verklempt with the z4's'

·
Registered
372 Posts
It will be interesting to see what tire the '06's come with. Betcha Metzlers will be on half of the bikes!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, what I'm hearing guys, is that the Metzler Z6 "B"s (B for extra weight carrying capacity for the bigger sleds like ours) aren't working well, especially the fronts?

I'm a newbie to the site. Feels like home. Thanks,

botajet

·
Registered
1 Posts
front tire bubbling

Hello all I see that this matter has come to others attention. But I had a very scary ride home, the bike developed a very hard wobble at speed so I slowed down but the wobble didn't go away. I then noticed that there were bumps"bubbles" on the tread of the tire. I have contacted Metzler about it and waiting for a reply. Has anyone else seen this happen to their tire? The tire is a Metzler MEZ6 front and rear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 06 has Metzler Roadtec Z6's. I have 9k miles on both right now. I don't ride like a sissy either. This is cross country and city miles combined. I keep an eye on the pressure but have kept it at recommended max psi in both tires. I ride solo. Front looks like I could get another 2k miles and rear maybe more.
I don't really like the way they react in rain. I have definitely had better handling tires for wet riding. I am not a GP track pro but I feel they are ok on dry corners.
Still, I want to try the Avons for the next tires, as I have had great experience with these on past bikes and I like to try different options to see what works best for me.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Thump52 said:
My 06 has Metzler Roadtec Z6's. I have 9k miles on both right now. I don't ride like a sissy either.
What am I doing wrong. I just can't get close to this kind of tire mileage. I really want to try the Roadtec Z6's again but now even the new ones recommended as OEM tires are supposed to have problems? Is this a rumor or has it been documented by the Yam or Metzeler factory?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts