FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm good with whatever weekend ya'll decide .

The Oak Park Inn is in downtown Waynesville .
It's not fancy but it is VERY welcoming to the motorcycle crowd .
When I was there in 2019 , with other XR1200 riders , they also had a group of Ducati ADV riders
and a group of BMW riders .

You can park your bike right in front of your room , and it just seems so comfortable and safe .
You can walk to several restaurants . It's the kind of town that rolls the sidewalks up early at night .

All that said , I'm open to where ever others want to stay .
Probably need to come to a consensus on the weekend and the hotel/motel early enough to ensure a block of rooms .

Kinda sounds like we might have a decent turnout .

George

·
Registered
72 Posts
At the behest of my SC friend, I'm planning a meet and greet in the Maggie Valley/Waynesville area of North Carolina sometime in the early summer centered around a visit to the Wheels Through Time museum. Here's the deal:

I'm not into organized rallies and big crowds. I'm more of a ride, eat and drop in kind of guy. So I will make motel reservations and show up since it's a significant ride for me just to get there. I'm not familiar with Waynesville and I know EOM has been in Maggie Valley before but I like the stretch of lodging and restaurants just north of Cherokee, NC on US441. It's convenient for parking the bike at the end of the day and leisurely walking to several restaurants, etc. but I'm not at all opposed to The Maggie Valley Inn where EOM has been but it's expensive so someone (NOT me) might have to step up to arrange for a group discount.

So I guess the first thing to decide on is when and where. I propose June 18-20, 2021 but this is certainly negotiable especially since I've applied for a new position in the company I work for. Not all folks can come, we all know life gets in the way sometimes. I think it's best to pick a date and let the chips fall where they may. The only other criteria right now is meet at Wheels Through Time on a Saturday around 10am.
depends on my knee surgery recovery

something im interested in & would like to do

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in Durham, so a nice short 4 hour ride. I'm flexible on the weekend. Probably take an extra day or two to visit my daughter and ride. Great roads in the area.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Fear not folks, I haven't abandoned this. I had my second interview for a new position and still haven't heard back. Be patient but know we'll probably move the date from Father's Day weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Love to come up in May or July. Thank you for putting this out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge is about 45 miles from there. Stay in a covered wagon, lodge or tent. Lot of great riding in the area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m hoping to be able to join. Have the family vacation the week before, so I think I’m in. At least here’s hoping. We gotta have a tech weekend though. Need some of your expertise in Throttle Body adjust, coolant replacement and maybe valve adjustment. Anyway, Ride safe all 👍

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
I had read just recently that Dale Walksler has passed. The museum is closed presently for winter, opening on 4/1/21. Nothing on their site of Dale's passing. I hope I read wrong then.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I had read just recently that Dale Walksler has passed. The museum is closed presently for winter, opening on 4/1/21. Nothing on their site of Dale's passing. I hope I read wrong then.
Yes, That's true. There's a discussion here at https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/15-general-chat/153261-rip-dale-walksler.html

I don't see anything on the site either. I did get an email from them a few days ago with the following text.

To all those who have reached out in this difficult time with condolences, kind words, and donations in Dale's memory, we thank you. It is through your support that we are able to continue to build upon Dale's legacy with the same passion and vision. It has been heartwarming to read the stories and to hear the numerous memories of how Dale's life and passion has affected so many people.
Many have asked how to make a donation in Dale's memory. We have included a button below for those who would like to make a contribution to help continue his mission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m almost definitely in. That’s an easy 3 hour ride from Cookeville, TN. I’ve done several meet ups in Maggie Valley and Waynesville which both have great options for locally owned motels, Vrbos and Air bnbs. I like the Jonathan’s Creek area personally but pretty much anywhere is cool.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I've ridden in that area and would love to join you, but 1942 miles round-trip is a long way to go for a weekend.

Reactions: maximrebel

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've ridden in that area and would love to join you, but 1942 miles round-trip is a long way to go for a weekend.
I know right? I looked it up and man, that's the whole lotta riding to finally get to the destination. Still though, that would be a lot of fun.

Reactions: DJRTX

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Just b/c it's a weekend for me doesn't mean it has to be a weekend for you :wink2:
That's true. However, Colorado is a little closer for me and it's been a while since I was out there.

·
Registered
7,276 Posts
Is it pretty much settled that this will be Father's Day weekend?

Whenever that gets nailed down, I'd humbly request the date be edited into the post title. :)

It'd be fun for me to run over if I can.

From STL, I usually throw the bike in the truck to go to that area, so I'm not wasting good rubber on lots of slab.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Is it pretty much settled that this will be Father's Day weekend?

Whenever that gets nailed down, I'd humbly request the date be edited into the post title. :)

It'd be fun for me to run over if I can.

From STL, I usually throw the bike in the truck to go to that area, so I'm not wasting good rubber on lots of slab.
No, nothing is settled.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts