FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here.
Just wanted to bring the Metzler ME880 tire thread back to life. Seams much better when you can search and find specific threads vs. comparos.
:roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well it has been three months and about 3000 miles later with the new ME880 and I still have nothing but good things to say about them.
1. First thing I noticed was how much quicker the bike turned in vs. both the Avon and the MZ4s. At first it bothered me in that I have had bikes that turned to quickly leaving you wondering if you were going to be laying flat on your side. But with the ME 880/FJR there was none of that, complete control.
2. I had no problem at the Track, leaning off and dragging pegs as well as getting up to 145 mph (may have been more but it was too hard to look as there was too much traffic and of course being at the end of the straight.) I was not racing, but would like to get a race prepped bike (sv650, es500 etc) and play.
3. I have now ridden in the wet and they seem fine. But I slow down in the wet anyway and there seemed to be lots of tar patches.
4. Have ridden in gravel/mud mix for a few miles and the tire didn't seam to have any problem (the guy on the FZ1 was much slower and he rides off road bikes).
Generally speaking I rode with a couple guys I have ridden with before, both will do over 110 to pass, both like to move quickly in the corners, both are mature enough to slow down when conditions are questionable, and we had a great time. All I can say is that the tires do not slow me down and seem to perform as well as any of the others I have had.

So far I only know one other person with these tires on his FJR. If the tire wear exceeds 10,000, the they don't suffer much from age and wear, I will continue to run them. Both the

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walrus,
Have you run the ME 880 on your FJR?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tripletango,

Any reason why?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300 noted that the Avons AV45/46 were not recommended for the ST1300 and that they down rated the speed index to "H" and that it seems that the sidewalls are not as stiff as they had hoped for, with excessive flex heating up the tire and causing excessive wear."

So thats why I only got 8,000 miles out of them! While with my normal mild mannered riding style, I think I should have gotten 11,000 miles. = unhappy with results.

What I noted was the indication of the Z6/ME880 combo. This would most likely make the rear wear equal to the front, making the tire change occur at the same time. I like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
me880

just gotta say that blue is right on....after several months and several thousands miles, my rear 880 works just fine....high speed in the flats of FL. or slower in the curves of N. Georgia... the 880 actually feels better than the past 2 MZ4 s........the front MZ6 is also a dam good tire......two good rim protectors!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Z6/Me880

bluefjr,
Did you notice Metzler doesn't have a radial front 880 in an 18"?
Maybe that's why they recommend the Z6 front.

dobias

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ran a couple of sets of 880s on my BMW with good luck but I noticed that they don't offer them in the 180/55 - 17 that the FJR uses. What's up with that? Maybe they just won't hold up when real horsepower is applied.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just backed through the messages and saw that some of you have in fact run an 880 on the rear. Every tire ad that I have seen does not list that size. Where did you get them? I know that I have Pilot Roads on now and will not buy those again. They are squaring off at about 4,000 miles, both too not just the front.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ME880

budman: Me880's can handle FJR hp just fine. I and several others have run 880's with no problems. The same cannot be said for the sport tire Z6 as I have had a Z6 front disintegrate underneath me at speed.
I rate the 880 thusly:
scale of 1-10
Mileage: 12 (16,000 on the first, 13,000 on the second before road debris killed it)
Comfort: 9 (these are made to tour..)
Handling: 9 (...but steer really well)
Grip (yes there is a difference between grip and handling):8.25 = good enough for any sane activity
Wet Grip: 7 (eh, could be better, but ok ...)
Cost/mile=10

on a side note I blew my second 880 on the Jersey turnpike at unmentionable speed...it kept me upright and safe til I got it stopped.. I patched the big ass hole in it and limped to a gas station and it held together fine. Good structural integrity. Z6's should be so good :roll:

The size is 170/60VR17 nominally slightly narrower than stock ...makes no difference whatsoever.
$123.95 at http://accwhse.com/metzeler.htm#Tires street

·
Registered
40 Posts
Metzler

20valves,
The recommendations for the Z6 were for the Honda ST1300 with an 18" front since Metzler ME880's don't have a front in that size.

dobias

·
Registered
40 Posts
SquidProQuo,
It looks as if your ratings are for the 880 rear radial.
What are your impressions about the 880 front radials?

dobias

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Re: Metzler

dobias said:
20valves,
The recommendations for the Z6 were for the Honda ST1300 with an 18" front since Metzler ME880's don't have a front in that size.

dobias
That thing has an 18" front? I didn't know that.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Gosh, it's been so long since I had those. :oops:

I think it's an 18" front and a 16" rear. (?)

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Squidproquo, Thanks for the imput, I was going to ask if anyone had ever tried the 170/60-17 size. Thats what It'll be for me next. For what its worth, I checked my log book last night and the best lasting front I ever used was a Dunlop D-220, going 13,100 miles. Unfortunately the rear burned off in just over 4,000.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts