FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been a while, I know some of my last posts had me talking about swapping bikes.. I did that..
Wheel Tire Helmet Fuel tank Plant

I have been enjoying my Moto camping trips and riding off road ..Ive always been an off-road rider at heart spending significantly more time in dirt than on the street.

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Plant community Helmet

Tire Plant Wheel Plant community Cloud

I thought I had left the FJR firmly behind as an Afterthought, However one popped up for sale on the adventure forum and it got me reliving the good times I had with mine.
It still remains one of my favorite bikes, so I'm teetering on the brink of finding another now, maybe newer than the 08 I had..I love my AT also, but would be nice to have something with better wind protection and more power for that effortless cruising I remember on trips to the beach or mountains when Im not going off-road.
Soooo, I may be jumping back on board, the search has started! I'm Excited!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've typically had Multiple bikes,Never 9 though..LOL! Figured going from a DR 650, TE 610 and an FJR 1300 to something like an Africa Twin (or at the time was looking at a Super Tenere) would scratch both itches..
Well it does for the most part, Just kinda miss the FJR, Which I figured would happen when I was loading it into the new owners truck. I remember how excited he was cause I was that excited when I came home with it.

·
Registered
2007 FJR
96 Posts
I've typically had Multiple bikes,Never 9 though..LOL! Figured going from a DR 650, TE 610 and an FJR 1300 to something like an Africa Twin (or at the time was looking at a Super Tenere) would scratch both itches..
Well it does for the most part, Just kinda miss the FJR, Which I figured would happen when I was loading it into the new owners truck. I remember how excited he was cause I was that excited when I came home with it.
For the record I am only 8 bikes shy of the 9 bike optimum. Mostly because I have a happy wife.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
9,955 Posts
Hoe Lee Carp! The dead has arisen!! How the heck are you? Speaking from experience- go for the Gen3. You won't regret it! I picked up a '13. Huge difference!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,615 Posts
Ron, if I lived where you live, I'm certain you'll get good use out of both the AT and the FJR. I'd definitely have both if I was there, no question.
The best I've been is 6 shy of 9, and that's OK by me. Any more than that and I wouldn't know what to ride... looking to pare down another one soon.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ive had 6 at one time too. Too much to take care of. Two is about right for me. Maybe 3 lol

I think about another FJR all the time, but realistically speaking, I just dont need that much bike anymore. The NC 750 I traded the FJR in on, and my CB 1100 are truthfully doing everything I need.

But I do think about it

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would think 7 is the best number, one for everyday of the week. Can't imagine letting my fjr go. So good at what it does. Also, surprisingly not bad in sand and off roading. It's comparable to my 1050 strom. African is my next girl.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Most I've had at 1 time was 3. One in each different category. '87 Venture Royale, '06 FZ1 and an '06 Kawi 636.

·
Registered
2007 FJR
96 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
2 seems to be the perfect number for me. I tend to gravitate towards one bike and ride it most of the time. With 3 the third bike is ridden because it's been sitting for a while and I ought to put some miles on it. Right now I'm at 5, not sure how that happened but that's too many and several are for sale.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoe Lee Carp! The dead has arisen!! How the heck are you? Speaking from experience- go for the Gen3. You won't regret it! I picked up a '13. Huge difference!
I have been good man, hope you have too! So a 2013 huh,I thought that 07 would have had 200K on it by now..L Yes I'm Looking for something newer also, I'm not sure what year but I might like the 6 speed, But I think that's 2016 and up?
On the other hand never felt like mine needed 6 gears, 5 were just fine?
I'm gonna fiddle around and look here and there but probably wont pull the trigger on something until after the holidays and its a killer deal..

·
Premium Member
2016 FJR1300AK
237 Posts
I agree.... two or three seems to be a good number.
I think for me, it's FJR + 1 = 😃
Recently sold my CB1100 Deluxe (sweet bike but very vanilla in behavior) and just picked up a '22 Yamaha R7. Neat little bike and should keep that one around for a couple years.
I have a couple scooters too... a Zuma 125 and recently bought its replacement, a Yamaha SMax 155.

A buddy of mine had an AT and he toured it with me and my buds from TX to CA and back. Bike kept up for the most part relatively well. Not sure how much he was pushing it, but the FJR and Connie he was following were yawning at highway speeds.

I used to think the FZ1 was a perfect bike, then got older and realized the FJR fits that bill better.

Great to have options and ability to have multiple bikes.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I traditionally had a dirt ride, a dual sport and a street ride. I was fond of KTM so since 1995 I have had several 300's.. I went through a dry spell where I went down to a Dr 650 and my FJR, then picked up a Husky TE 610 and found myself riding more and more in the backwoods and out of the way places. The FJR was sitting more Except for when i wanted a more spirited ride or some distance riding.. I got an offer on it and sold it, then figured I could sorta blend the dual sport and Sport touring and got the AT..I have been very pleased with it and have done a lot to it, but its no FJR in the twisties or down the slab for that matter. Its really good at what I use it for, I can ride it several hours away into the mountains loaded with gear, get into some desolate place and camp off it while enjoying finding some off road goodies.
I've always described the FJR as a Road missile, Its silky Smooth and Barely working going down the road.. It just does that so well its hard to think of something other than an FJR for distance riding combined with spirited runs in the country side.

·
Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
703 Posts
I had 3 bikes for a while this year - old Vstrom, SO's even older Vstrom, and my FJR.

It was not ideal.

I'm fancy - and I don't want vehicles stolen - so I insist on parking in the garage. If it has to go outside, I don't have room for it.

This becomes a problem quickly. Things were annoyingly tight, with one side of the garage taken up by my car, and the other by 3 bikes, plus my tools.

I sold one Vstrom, and that helped a lot.

I need a bigger garage, but the real estate market is only sorta starting to regain some sanity. Might have to move out to the country to get what I want (3+ car garage).

If you have the garage space, go for it!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Love to have a 3 car (or more) garage. Right now on one side is my wife's car. On the other side are my two motorcycles and my quad with snow blade a work bench and my tool box. In the summer bikes are by the door side by side facing in and the quad is up against the inner wall. In the winter the quad is by the door facing out, the bikes are parallel by the wall on an angle and I have to back my wife's car out so I can get one my bikes out to go for a ride, which I do every day there isn't ice or snow on the roads. My truck sits outside.

Back when I had 6 bikes (no quad) they all had to be parked parallel on an angle, like you see them lined up on a motorcycle shop sales floor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts