FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought matching Aria Signet GTs for my pearl yellow GL1800 and bought the Suzuki Shoei RF1000s for my red/black Hayabusa. Now that I have an '06 FJR on order, it is time to start picking out a few accessories. I ordered the A model which is listed as Cobalt Blue. Any suggestions on matching helmets? Any other color (grey?) suggestions instead of trying to obtain an exact color match to the Cobalt Blue? I prefer full face but would love to have a flip if only I could find one that is quiet.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try the new Nolan N-102 very nice and very quiet flip up.

too_many_hobbies said:
I bought matching Aria Signet GTs for my pearl yellow GL1800 and bought the Suzuki Shoei RF1000s for my red/black Hayabusa. Now that I have an '06 FJR on order, it is time to start picking out a few accessories. I ordered the A model which is listed as Cobalt Blue. Any suggestions on matching helmets? Any other color (grey?) suggestions instead of trying to obtain an exact color match to the Cobalt Blue? I prefer full face but would love to have a flip if only I could find one that is quiet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nolan Flip

Stoney,

I will try the Nolan N102. A flip should be advantageous since I wear glasses and also being able to talk to fellow riders at a stoplight that don't have bike-to-bike communications.

Compared to my Aria Signet GTs, a friend's Shoei Syncrotech was substantially noisier when riding my Wing. I also compared the two when riding his Honda 919 without a windshield. Most of the noise from the Syncrotech seemed to be coming from under the helmet. I could shrug my shoulders to close off the gap around my neck and the Syncrotec was on par with the Signet. Both helmets were of the correct size for me.

My experience has been that the amount of turbulence behind a windshield is one of the biggest factors in how quiet a helmet is. I have not worn earplugs in the past, but will be trying them also.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Color Match...

shuswaper,

Some type of sliver/grey, maybe within some type graphic pattern, is what I was thinking about also. I have an Autocom system on my current Hayabusa with headsets in the helmets. Since the Autocom is less than a year old with very little use, I will be switching it over to the FJR. The aggravating part of selling the Busa and changing to the FJR is now my overpriced red/black Suzuki color matched helmets don't even come close to matching. I will probably have to sell the helmets separately on ebay to keep from being at a total loss.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wear a Caberg Justissimo in blue which is a very close match to the Galaxy blue.

I don't know if its available in the US but it is a flip front that can be worn as an open face if you wish and alsways wear ear plugs no matter what helmet I have had.

Teejay
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep it smooth, Keep it quick

·
Registered
372 Posts
teejay said:
I don't know if its available in the US but it is a flip front that can be worn as an open face if you wish and alsways wear ear plugs no matter what helmet I have had.
++
On the matter of helmet colour, I know a few guys locally who have had their brain buckets repainted and with outstanding results, something to consider.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Nolan Flip

I bought mine on ebay for $200.00 plus $10.00 shipping. A platinium silver size large and am totally happy in every aspect of the helmet especially with how quiet it is. It has a lot of nice features built in and is a quality unit. I think you have a very good chance of being satisfied.

too_many_hobbies said:
Stoney,

I will try the Nolan N102. A flip should be advantageous since I wear glasses and also being able to talk to fellow riders at a stoplight that don't have bike-to-bike communications.

Compared to my Aria Signet GTs, a friend's Shoei Syncrotech was substantially noisier when riding my Wing. I also compared the two when riding his Honda 919 without a windshield. Most of the noise from the Syncrotech seemed to be coming from under the helmet. I could shrug my shoulders to close off the gap around my neck and the Syncrotec was on par with the Signet. Both helmets were of the correct size for me.

My experience has been that the amount of turbulence behind a windshield is one of the biggest factors in how quiet a helmet is. I have not worn earplugs in the past, but will be trying them also.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Don't know how widely available they are in the States, but the Schuberth C2 is a quality bit of kit, and well worth a look. Supposed to be one of the quieter flip front helmets (but not a quiet as their full face S1 which is supposed to be the quietest helmet on the market)

They are a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, and the locking mechanism didn't fail when I had an accident in my C2 last summer, despite the impact being hard enough to split the shell.

Like the Maule.
Short strip, or just for the fun of it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flips and Maule Super Rocket...

marshman,

I have read several positive reviews on the Shuberth flips. I am also looking at the Nolan 102 flip. All the flips that I have found are a little noisier and heavier. One other consideration is how well a headset will work. Nolan has what they refer to as N-Com in development. With 2 of the N-Com basic units you have Bluetooth intercomm and can communicate on a Bluetooth cell phone. I will probably go ahead and install the Autocom on the FJR to gain all the capabilities I desire. I will be running a GMRS radio for bike-to-bike, cell phone, intercomm, GPS voice with XM radio and MP3 capability, and radar detector alert. None of the Bluetooth systems I have found so far support all those. I utilize Bluetooth for several computer applications and centimeter GPS for my business and love the Bluetooth technology.

I refer to my M-7-235 Maule as a Hayabusa with wings. I use it for my business. I keep it in an enclosed hanger at a local airport but also have a 1320 feet grass strip behind my house that allows me to taxi right up to my back door. My daughter took a video with her digital camera of me taking off in what we measured afterwards as 140 feet. Shoot me an email and I will send the video. Last year I obtained a permit to overfly Cuba and flew my wife and kids to the Cayman Islands in the Maule. That's about as far as I want to go over the ocean in a single engine plane.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Have to say that I found the Schuberth no quieter than the HJC full face helmet I was using previously, and maybe even a fraction noisier, but it had great ventilation, and the anti-mist coating on the visor worked well. Once it's on your head the extra weight wasn't really an issue for me or Christine, and its aerodynamics were very good.

Centimeter GPS - Land surveyor by any chance? Just about to go walkabout with an old Trimble 5700 to do a spot of RTK work myself.

One of my colleagues came back last year from a couple of years in the Caymans working for the government survey organisation. Apparently it was ok if you were working in banking or something like that, but being just a drone it was very expensive to live out there. Other than bananas and fish everything has to be imported, and all the islands electricity comes from a big diesel generator. Cost a fortune to have the air-con going all the time (and you needed it!)
Worst of all was the price of beer! :shock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leaning toward Nolan 102

marshman,

I am leaning toward the Nolan 102, but have never tried one on yet for proper fit to my head. Since it will be at least the end of April or March before my FJR comes in, I am going to wait and see how far along they get with the Bluetooth headsets. With their mulitimedia wire accessory, all that is lacking is the radio hookup for bike-to-bike. It appears that the current 102 on the Nolan website has a pocket for the N-Com on the lower left side of the helmet. The Helmet Shop in Florida has the 102 at a very good price, but their current stock does not have the pocket for the N-Com. Even if I go ahead and install my current Autocom system, I would like to buy the helmets with the pocket for future upgrade possiblities.

An ole country boy must wear many hats and when I put my surveyors hat on to perform agricultural land leveling field surveys, I use Topcon Hiper Lite+ RTK receivers. I had trouble with Trimble GPS-only receivers getting off by as much as .2 feet in the vertical when losing or gaining a critical satellite. The Hiper Lite+ uses both GPS and GLONASS negating the effect of any one or two satellites being as critical to the position solution. The Hiper Lite+ system also has built-in Bluetooth and are totally integrated units with internal Lithium-Ion batteries. But utilizing a tri-magnet for the rover and large suction cup for my Tablet PC, I can switch from the range pole to my pickup or to my ATV in a matter of minutes. Requiring a minimum number of compact components has also allowed me to fly the Maule to fields and use the farmer's pickup or farm tractor as my survey vehicle.

I will shut up now before someone points out just how far off the subject I am getting with my replies. My wife says to not ask me a question unless you want a 30 minute answer!

Later...

too_many_hobbies

·
Super Moderator
3,980 Posts
I'm just currious. After getting the color matched helmets and twinky riding gear, will you be installing a ring-of-fire on the FJR? Maybe get a mural painted on the saddle bags? Chrome the rims? And the fairing lowers? And the swing arm? Boogie lights? :wink:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
too_many_gadjets

bounce,

No, I am fairly conservative when it comes to changing the bike in the way you so poetically described. But, if you ever walk by my parked bike, you will know it belongs to me because of all the electronics behind the windshield. I had everything under the sun hooked through the intercom system on my Wing. I have bike-to-bike radio, radar detector, GPS, MP3, and cell phone hooked to the Autocom intercom system on my Busa. I will have more room on the FJR so maybe I can add another electronic item or two (Tablet PC ?). :idea:

All kidding aside though, I am debating on which GPS to order for the FJR. I would really like to have the Garmin 396 from their aviation line because you can display real time Nexrad radar on the screen from the XM radio link. But because it is for aviation, it is twice the price of the Garmin 2730 and the aviation XM subscription is twice as much. The 2730 will not display Nexrad, only textual weather reports. But it does have MP3 capability through a built-in 3.5mm stereo plug which reduces my hookups to the Autocom by one cable.

too_many_hobbies

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ordered the N102 last week--I know it's not the smartest thing to do--helmets over the internet--we do not have a local retailer--so I had no opportunity to try one on before purchase. I took head measurments and went w/the same size of HJC and gambled. It came in last Friday--I won big time!! great fit, quiet, good ventilation, good vision, I like the adjustable sun visor and the little clicky chin strap w/the seatbelt style release button. I rate it A-1 for the amount of $ (U.S. $230.00). It's a keeper for me!! The light silver helmet color matches the light silver on my side panels of my 04. This helmet I believe fits oval/round heads the best.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Re: Leaning toward Nolan 102

too_many_hobbies said:
Requiring a minimum number of compact components has also allowed me to fly the Maule to fields and use the farmer's pickup or farm tractor as my survey vehicle.
Like the way you think - good to see an aircraft viably incorporated into the tax deduction / depreciation schedule - bit of a contrast for you though, climbing out of the aircraft and then bouncing across the paddock in a pick up or tractor. GPS has definitely changed things.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts