FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have made this same trip several times. The hazards are overstated in my opinion.
I40. Plenty of gas along the way. Heat to me is over 100 so going through New Mexico and AZ it will
not get that high due to the elevation. The serious obstacle is Needles to Barstow CA. It can reach 120 and
I would die. I stay in Kingman AZ and then dash across the desert at sunrise. Use a Camelback to hydrate and drink
Gatorade at gas stops.

I70 back has one gas gap in Utah, Salina to Green River and it is about 110 miles. that is the longest stretch I know of on the interstate
without gas. Through Colorado I 70 is actually very scenic.
If you take I15 to I 70 you have Vegas and the desert again. Timing is everything like in Needles. Once you get to St George Utah you climb and it cools down. The first stretch of I70 before Richfield cannot be ridden in the dark. It is saturated with deer and other animals. quite frankly the worst part of 70 going back will be the wind in the Midwest,
it is always there and is miserable.
Do it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all,

I am considering a solo road trip from MA to CA (Capistrano Beach, sort of between LA and San Diego) then back to MA. Roughly just over 6k miles round trip. I would be staring Friday June 3, need to be back to MA by Friday June 17. Because of the time constraints I would need to average ~700-800 miles a day each way so all interstate / highway. When in CA I would stay with family for a few days then head back. I do have a few days of a buffer built in but not a lot.

It seems there are basically two routes that Google recommends. The "northern" route goes through Denver, the "southern" goes through Flagstaff and Albuquerque. I was considering taking the southern route out, the northern route back. I did a road trip from MA -> Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and back (~6,400 total) in 13 days last June. That was riding every day though and the max miles per day was ~550. 3 days out west, 3 days back, lots of great roads between.

I'm comfortable with my tool kit, will have new tires, bike is up to date with maintenance etc. I have a Garmin Zumo and will have a cell phone. I do have AAA for whatever that's worth. My FJR is a 2015A with ~20k miles. All factory equipment except RDL seat, RAM clutch reservoir mount (phone), TECHMOUNT stem nut mount (gps), Fobo TPMS w/metal T valve, Garauld highway pegs.

At this point my primary concerns are:
  1. ~700-800 miles per day - that's a LOT of miles per day even considering the trip I took last year. Anyone done similar miles per day for ~4 days? I rode 300 interstate miles yesterday just because, and may do 400-500 Friday just to get a longer ride in.
  2. Rush hour traffic - no idea how to plan around this. This could ruin multiple days end extend required
  3. Any recommendations on lodging? I'm thinking of looking for places around 2PM each day. That way I can ride whatever distance makes sense but I wonder if I'm going to run into vacancy issues.
  4. A bit worried about gas stations especially in the south west / rural areas. Anyone know Rt. 40 through OK, TX, NM, AZ and SoCal or Rt. 70 through KS, CO, UT, NV, CA?
  5. Do I need to be worried about snow on Rt. 70 in Colorado?
  6. Trip last year was with a group. This will be solo so no one to rely on but me. One of the group last year ran out of gas even with one spare gas bottle (~30 oz.). Having others was incredibly useful not only for that but for companionship etc.
  7. The few toll gates I've encountered suck with a motorcycle. It seems no matter where I have my E-ZPass getting the gate to lift is random. I think I'm going to avoid 90 outside of MA. I think that keeps me mostly off toll roads.
  8. Is this just a stupid idea, should I just go by air (in which case I may not go)? I am in my 50s, doubt I'll ever be able to even consider doing something like this again. That's probably a good thing... :)
If you've read this far thanks! Any feedback appreciated. It'll help tip the scales one direction or another. Thanks in advance...
Don't push it.
Fly, then rent a bike. Depending on where in California you're going it might be f-ing hot or freezing cold (San Francisco).

But if you're riding... get some spandex bicycle shorts to wear or just die from MonkeyButt.
Either way. Have fun....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Forgot to mention that the mental trick I play on myself is to divide a 750 mile day into five 150 mile rides.
In the West 150 miles is 2 hours. I need to relieve myself anyway and get gas and hydrate with
Gatorade, then repeat. Instead of being overwhelmed by the 750 mile task at hand, it is 5 day rides
in one dayt.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts
Forgot to mention that the mental trick I play on myself is to divide a 750 mile day into five 150 mile rides.
In the West 150 miles is 2 hours. I need to relieve myself anyway and get gas and hydrate with
Gatorade, then repeat. Instead of being overwhelmed by the 750 mile task at hand, it is 5 day rides
in one dayt.
This is so crucial. So simple and so important. It’s not “oh man we have so far to go still.” It’s more like “in 70 more miles I get another pickle in a bag and a ice cold Body Armor.”

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Where in MA are you from? I'm Boston born and raised living in WI where my wife's from.

Here's a strange tip about riding in heat. Over 100 degrees close all you vents on your jacket. The hot air blowing by doesn't cool you it only cooks and dehydrates you faster. I force myself to drink tons of water with electrolytes when its hot even if it means making extra bathroom stops.

A good quality tire can easily do 7000 miles. I ran from Wisconsin to SanDiego to Florida to Wisconsin which was over 7k on a set of PR4GTs and they were still good when I got back.
Metro west Boston area. I can't imagine closing the vents in hot weather! Next long distance trip I take I think I will bring some of the powered mixes that claim they have electrolytes to mix with water. I usually bring just water. Guessing the extra stuff in these mixes will help. In fact maybe I'll start doing it this summer.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
@jspicoli

Perhaps you could ship your helmet and gloves to your family, wear your boots (and/or jacket) on the plane. Rent a motorcycle and enjoy some great riding out
on the left coast. :unsure:
I thought about shipping some of my gear out but I still have a concern about packing the helmet properly and the overall cost of shipping. I do think this is a better idea than trying to pack the stuff in a suitcase and check baggage. Probably similar cost or cheaper too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I am considering a solo road trip from MA to CA (Capistrano Beach, sort of between LA and San Diego) then back to MA. Roughly just over 6k miles round trip. I would be staring Friday June 3, need to be back to MA by Friday June 17. Because of the time constraints I would need to average ~700-800 miles a day each way so all interstate / highway. When in CA I would stay with family for a few days then head back. I do have a few days of a buffer built in but not a lot.

It seems there are basically two routes that Google recommends. The "northern" route goes through Denver, the "southern" goes through Flagstaff and Albuquerque. I was considering taking the southern route out, the northern route back. I did a road trip from MA -> Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and back (~6,400 total) in 13 days last June. That was riding every day though and the max miles per day was ~550. 3 days out west, 3 days back, lots of great roads between.

I'm comfortable with my tool kit, will have new tires, bike is up to date with maintenance etc. I have a Garmin Zumo and will have a cell phone. I do have AAA for whatever that's worth. My FJR is a 2015A with ~20k miles. All factory equipment except RDL seat, RAM clutch reservoir mount (phone), TECHMOUNT stem nut mount (gps), Fobo TPMS w/metal T valve, Garauld highway pegs.

At this point my primary concerns are:
  1. ~700-800 miles per day - that's a LOT of miles per day even considering the trip I took last year. Anyone done similar miles per day for ~4 days? I rode 300 interstate miles yesterday just because, and may do 400-500 Friday just to get a longer ride in.
  2. Rush hour traffic - no idea how to plan around this. This could ruin multiple days end extend required
  3. Any recommendations on lodging? I'm thinking of looking for places around 2PM each day. That way I can ride whatever distance makes sense but I wonder if I'm going to run into vacancy issues.
  4. A bit worried about gas stations especially in the south west / rural areas. Anyone know Rt. 40 through OK, TX, NM, AZ and SoCal or Rt. 70 through KS, CO, UT, NV, CA?
  5. Do I need to be worried about snow on Rt. 70 in Colorado?
  6. Trip last year was with a group. This will be solo so no one to rely on but me. One of the group last year ran out of gas even with one spare gas bottle (~30 oz.). Having others was incredibly useful not only for that but for companionship etc.
  7. The few toll gates I've encountered suck with a motorcycle. It seems no matter where I have my E-ZPass getting the gate to lift is random. I think I'm going to avoid 90 outside of MA. I think that keeps me mostly off toll roads.
  8. Is this just a stupid idea, should I just go by air (in which case I may not go)? I am in my 50s, doubt I'll ever be able to even consider doing something like this again. That's probably a good thing... :)
If you've read this far thanks! Any feedback appreciated. It'll help tip the scales one direction or another. Thanks in advance...
The bike can handle the trip easily. North or south route you never know what to expect. South will be warm. Don't worry bout gas. North you could get snow even in June in parts of I70. But probably just slush. Go south,the bike can handle days of high mileage. Hydrate,hydrate.

·
Registered
2015 FJR1300A
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
This is so crucial. So simple and so important. It’s not “oh man we have so far to go still.” It’s more like “in 70 more miles I get another pickle in a bag and a ice cold Body Armor.”
Yeah, that's the same game I play when I'm running. Carve up a run in to time and/or distance slices. I have divided some longer days into fuel stops. Definitely helps prevent me from being overwhelmed.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts